Talk

Advanced search

Holocaust Memorial Day or is Bc slip more important

(108 Posts)
Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 19:36:26

That really. Posters banging on about semantics and knickers in twist and here we have real evil, real racist evil bastards.

Ffs just turn in radio 5 all day or BBC 2 now. This is The news.

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 19:39:27

If you're going to compare everything to the horror of the holocaust, then that's every other topic of discussion off the table.

Nothing is as horrific as genocide.

emmelinelucas Tue 27-Jan-15 19:41:51

I know what you mean.
One day when things can be put into perspective.

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 19:49:09

Of course other topics can be discussed!

But the topic with BC was regarding potential racist comment.

Seriously you can't see the connection Tethersend ?

Hatespiders Tue 27-Jan-15 19:50:42

I was born in the forties and remember the horrifying films and photos of what the liberators found on entering Auschwitz. I also knew a deaconess in Scotland who'd been with the Red Cross that entered the camp. She said you could smell the dreadful stench five miles away. What she saw and experienced was literally Hell On Earth.
6 million human beings. Suffering beyond our imagining...

No, YABU. I don't think one little day about it in commemoration is much to ask.

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 19:51:43

I think it's hmm to imply that nobody can find anything offensive due to the holocaust memorial. Where do we draw the line? Is it ok to be upset at being spat at in the street? Called an offensive name? Those things are not as bad as the holocaust.

It just strikes me as an oddly reductive view.

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 19:52:12

I had to turn off the Bosnian report. Just too horrific.

Impossible to imagine that was happening so so close and during my children's life time.

Horrific descriptions.

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 19:53:14

I don't agree that it is disrespectful to those who suffered and died in the holocaust to be offended by other forms of racism.

jonicomelately Tue 27-Jan-15 19:53:30

This is a thread about a thread. I thought that was banned on here?

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 19:56:02

Funny it strikes me as extremely odd and worrying that my post was the first to talk about the holocaust on the Memorial Day at nearly 8pm.

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 19:59:12

I'm a bit sad about that too, Theboody. I haven't trawled all the topics though, so there may have been one earlier.

I just think it's a shame to use the unparalleled horror of the holocaust to close down discussion of other topics related to racism. Isn't there room for both?

jonicomelately Tue 27-Jan-15 19:59:20

Please don't use the Holocaust as a way of trying to win your argument on another thread where you are trying to justify BC's use of the word coloured. It's in really, really poor taste.

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 20:00:03

Yes join that's the important bit here!

This isn't a thread about a thread but a comparison.

Feel free to report though. hmm

tethersend there was no racism intended so why discuss it? A non story.

Tinks42 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:00:45

Surely any form of murder is horrific? I don't see one form any worse than the other. Murder is just that.... murder.

jonicomelately Tue 27-Jan-15 20:02:50

Of course it's a thread about a thread. You got all uppity on this very issue then started this thread.
I made the very same poit tethers has made about their being room to discuss both but you have ignored that point.
Your implication that those who don't agree with don't care about the Holocaust is offensive and daft, and yes, I've said that already on the other thread.

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 20:02:55

Oh dear join really you think that's the case here? Winning an argument!

Don't judge me by your standards please.

Hate truly just dreadful. Radio 5 today had so Many survivors stories it was so moving.

jonicomelately Tue 27-Jan-15 20:03:35

There not their.

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 20:03:38

Racism isn't about intent.

A word or an action is racist whether or not the person behind it means it to be. The person may not be racist, but the words and actions are.

Children in Nazi Germany were taught to ridicule Jewish people in the street. Were their actions and words not racist because they were small children and thought that that was how the world worked?

emmelinelucas Tue 27-Jan-15 20:04:19

Tinks - shock

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 20:04:48

I didn't say that those who disagreed with me were wrong! Each to their view.

My point is that it's in pretty poor taste to bang on endlessly about a mistake followed by an apology on a day like today.

Theboodythatrocked Tue 27-Jan-15 20:06:17

tinks what?

jonicomelately Tue 27-Jan-15 20:06:41

You may also want to check out Godwin's Law OP.

hobnobsaremyfave Tue 27-Jan-15 20:07:38

Who or what is B C?

tethersend Tue 27-Jan-15 20:10:40

"My point is that it's in pretty poor taste to bang on endlessly about a mistake followed by an apology on a day like today."

Are you referring to the media coverage or discussions on here?

Hatespiders Tue 27-Jan-15 20:12:42

I have lit a small candle and put it outside our front door.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: