Talk

Advanced search

Fortnum and Mason Appalling Customer Service

(60 Posts)
tineemum Tue 27-Jan-15 17:58:12

Is it just me or has anyone fallen victim to F&M's appalling customer service recently? The last thread on this topic that I found on Mumsnet is from 2012. I wish I had known!

Would it be worth taking them up further for what is essentially a case of interference of my goods--that is, goods I physically brought to till and paid for at store--money taken from my account including for delivery service. Then I receive a call and am told that some of the items I purchased are out of stock!!! Impossible!!! I physically had them on hand and simply trusted them to be promptly delivered to me! I am seeking legal advise as I believe they have become so smug in their reputation and couldn't care less for their customers! Your thoughts would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Waffles80 Tue 27-Jan-15 18:11:55

Good luck; do let us know how you get on with that lawyer.

biscuit

MooMaid Tue 27-Jan-15 18:14:57

You're seeking legal advice?? Is that not a bit of an overreaction? When did you complain?

AndreaZuckerman Tue 27-Jan-15 18:14:57

I've never heard of Fortnum and Mason. Who are they? confused

StarsOfTrackAndField Tue 27-Jan-15 18:17:18

Andrea I think they're a bit like a London version of Poundstretcher.

BadgersRetreat Tue 27-Jan-15 18:19:42

Why did you not just have the chauffer take them out to the car?

You've only yourself to blame grin

shoofly Tue 27-Jan-15 18:19:52

Ok - so you picked items up in the store, took them to the till and paid for the goods and delivery.
What do they suggest to fix the problem? Is there a reason why you didn't just bring the goods home with you?

AuntieStella Tue 27-Jan-15 18:20:56

Can you get to the Piccadilly store?

I'd go in and speak to a real person, face to face, and get them to make it all go away on the spot.

WipsGlitter Tue 27-Jan-15 18:22:20

Why do people have to be so snippy just because it's an expensive shop?! confused

Electriclaundryland Tue 27-Jan-15 18:22:26

Have you complained? I'm sure you don't need legal advice, as long as they refund you no law has been broken. Create a fuss on twitter for all to see. They might offer some good will gesture.

Lol at Poundstretcher

WipsGlitter Tue 27-Jan-15 18:24:21

And actually, yes ordered Christmas puddings from them. Arrived day after Boxing Day despite assurances they were about to be delivered.

Although, we did get them in the end, got a refund and were allowed to keep them. So not that bad!

PandasRock Tue 27-Jan-15 18:33:00

There is no need to be mean and snarky just because it is an expensive shop.

It is infuriating when this happens. Mostly because of being treated like an imbecile - I've had similar from them in the past, and also from Peter Jones. Same situation - goods bought I store, then left for delivery, only to be told at a later time they couldn't fulfill my order due to being out of stock. Impossible, unless they resold goods I already owned.

PandasRock Tue 27-Jan-15 18:35:18

Electriclaundryland - i wouldn't be so sure no law has been broken. If you take goods to a till in a shop, and pay in full, then those goods are now legally yours. Goods are then left to be delivered to you (also paid for in full). Yet, the delivery is never made, because the store is 'out of stock' of an item you have already bought, in person - physically held and paid money for. How is that possible, unless the store is treating your goods as their own?

BadgersRetreat Tue 27-Jan-15 18:35:35

I think we're taking the piss more due to the overreaction than the shop

legal action? Just seems a bit OTT.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 27-Jan-15 18:36:47

Maybe the items for delivery come from their warehouse and not the store? If there's none in the warehouse they can't deliver them, clearly, I doubt they will go around the store collecting items confused

It's a tad OTT to call in the lawyers for this. I don't know what you wish to achieve apart from wasting your money.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 27-Jan-15 18:38:54

What reason did they give for items that you had taken to the till being out of stock?

Had you taken physical items or was it tickets that represented items (iyswim)

I don't know the shop, so I don't know how things work.

I think that really a lawyer is seriously ott though. You have been inconvenienced. You will no doubt get your money back, or the items when they are in stock, whichever your preference.

What grounds do you think you have to sue them? I'm not really sure "they're smug" is really something you can sue about.

fluffyraggies Tue 27-Jan-15 18:40:57

Do F&M still have beautiful deep soft carpet, wall to wall, even in the grocery shop bit?

I used to love going in there as a teen and just looking round smile (80's)

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Tue 27-Jan-15 18:46:58

www.fortnumandmason.com/c-342-ground-floor-fortnum-and-mason.aspx It looks red, fluffy. There's a tiny cafe/store at St Pancras, I don't think the carpet there is red.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 27-Jan-15 18:50:17

holy cow! the prices! <faints>

RhiWrites Tue 27-Jan-15 19:42:24

That is outrageous! They took items out of your purchased shopping. Why did they do this? Weird and creepy.

tineemum Tue 27-Jan-15 20:07:02

Thank you for all your comments.
I am not taking legal action, just seeking legal advice and am learning from the entire process. I think it is always good to be aware of your rights as it gives you confidence in arguing your case with the establishment. As PandasRock said, there is actually a law broken given the circumstances. The lawyer I spoke to said he will research further on certain details of that law. I am subscribed to Which? Legal which costs £43 for a year for an unlimited , and there is the Retail Ombudsman that can be approached at no cost to the consumer (but with a cost to the retailer). I felt I have gotten good advice already from one phone conversation with Which.

I would not be making a big fuss this time if not for the fact that it is not the first time I have encountered such poor service from them. A few months ago on the shop floor, the attendants were simply dismissive (while gossiping with each other), sending me ping-ponging between tills, each person at each till saying they were not the desk to check out with at the time. It was only when I finally glared at the floor attendant that she realized she had a job to do. BTW, I was purchasing discontinued chinaware (plates) I chanced upon on sale there and had them delivered. Needless to say, that delivery was an entire botched job as well! When I called customer services, they had no clue where half of the undelivered items were...I had to be the one to suggest to the person on the phone that there might be some tracking number (different from the tracking number given to customers perhaps?) they use between them and their courier...and so there was. All eventually got sorted, and I received a letter of apology from F&M promising of course that it will not be repeated etc, etc.

Then this new situation. It seems so straightforward purchasing at the store--my son and I and one of their attendants physically counting the items, taking them to the till and paying for them, including the delivery charge. Btw, again by chance, items from the same range of china I had bought earlier were on offer so I took that opportunity to purchase from this discontinued range (thus not replaceable when gone unless available on ebay and such...and I've looked...none so far). How could anything go wrong AGAIN? It was not even a thought! So a portion of MY goods/MY property were technically disposed of/allocated to someone else and I am the one left with a now incomplete lot.

It doesn't end there. Naturally I tried to arrive at a resolution with them, assuming that after the first items from my lot went missing, that they would protect the rest of it and keep them intact, especially as they had vowed a complete investigation was being made as to how all happened. Well, as I agreed to a resolution to purchase the rest, it turns out, the remaining lot was further cannibalized to a number that makes it simply impractical to bother with.

I don't know whether "smug" is the word but there certainly is a high degree of complacency on their end, and in my particular case, I can describe as a wanton disregard of my rights as a customer. That's why I wondered whether this was just my (bad) luck with them or whether others have experienced similar.

lurkerspeaks Tue 27-Jan-15 20:14:53

How far have you escalated it.

I would write a succinct summary (4 short paragraphs max). Outlining the loss you have incurred - an incomplete set of china basically and stating what you think is fair compensation - refund plus some cash?

Then send it recorded delivery to the CEO - Ewan Venters is listed on business week website.

ceo email has his address as: ewan.venters@fortnumandmason.co.uk

Charlotte3333 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:22:01

I've only ever had fabulous service from them, but only use the one in Birmingham's Mailbox. It does seem terrible service, I'd go with Lurker's suggestion and send a mealy-mouthed email to someone reasonably high up asking they look into the mess they've created.

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Tue 27-Jan-15 20:31:34

What's the betting some of the (your) China will turn on eBay in a couple of weeks time?

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Tue 27-Jan-15 20:32:28

OK - Excuse my stupidity but, as I understand it:-

OP Purchased the goods, she physically held the goods in her hand - the store weren't saying they find stock in the back room for her, the goods were handed over by OP to the assistant and OP expressed her desire to purchase the goods.

OP paid for the goods.

At this point a contract was entered into between OP and the store. The goods now legally belong to OP.

OP leaves her goods with store to be delivered at a later time.

Goods go missing - surely it's a case of theft from OP???

Or am I missing something???

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: