Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be perturbed by this sponsored child letter?

(13 Posts)
rescuekitten Mon 26-Jan-15 11:19:58

I sponsor a child through a well known charity, via a regular monthly donation. They often ask for further donations, and in particular before the child's birthday or Christmas each year they send me a pro-forma greetings card and a request for a donation towards a gift "to make the day special". I send the card, but don't usually send extra money.

Recently I got a letter back - not from the child (who can't write) but from a key worker in the village. He thanked me for the birthday card, saying the birthday was "fine but not very special".

AIBU to think that's a pop at me for not sending the money? Or am I reading too much into it?

It's this sort of thing that makes me think I should stick to donating to a generalised charity fund rather than sponsoring a specific child, because I don't want to feel guilty for not doing or saying the right thing.

MrsDermotOLeary Mon 26-Jan-15 11:41:43

Is it from an English speaking person? I think you're over thinking this and the meaning may have got lost in translation.

SavoyCabbage Mon 26-Jan-15 11:46:31

Yes, perhaps is a translation issue. Have you seen the film 'A small act' about child sponsorship? It's wonderful.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Mon 26-Jan-15 11:46:38

I got an update on the child we sponsor the other day and worked out that the stamps had cost about £13. Forgive me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that have gone quite a way in supporting him or his villagers. Don't know how to request they don't. It was a rubbish update anyway even if he did draw us a lovely boot.

SaucyMare Mon 26-Jan-15 11:49:28

jayne yeah ask them to spend the £13 on broadband and send you an email instead, much more use to everyone.(not being 100% serious).

All the updates from charities i support wind me up as well, save your money i can use the internet.

26Point2Miles Mon 26-Jan-15 11:50:00

I once donated a handbag to a British charity. The handbag somehow wound up in Uganda! Obviously, this is what I intended when I donated..... Someone somewhere making good use of it

Idiot I am I'd left my driving licence in it, which was kindly returned via a Ugandan missionary oh behalf of new handbag owner who couldn't afford postage etc

I wrote a letter thanking them all profusely and I got another letter back asking if I would buy them a mini bus in return! The cheek

TiggerLillies Mon 26-Jan-15 11:51:33

I'd say reading to much in to it. I thought the money went in to a community pot which was evenly distributed, so on that basis the child wouldn't know you hadn't sent extra money specifically for them.

angelikacpickles Mon 26-Jan-15 12:17:36

I don't think the comment is anything to do with the money. I don't think the child would know whether you have sent the extra money or not, it is to cover costs of printing and sending the cards (with our sponsor charity anyway).

poorbuthappy Mon 26-Jan-15 12:19:10

If they aren't referring to the lack of cash what else on earth would make the card more special? Minibus keys?

Meechimoo Mon 26-Jan-15 12:50:36

We recently got a letter from the charity we sponsored a child through to say that our sponsored child had 'moved away' and they suggested another child to sponsor. Who was born to her 14 year old Mother and 35 year old Father. That depressed me so much.

NutcrackerFairy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:12:46

Thanks SavoyCabbage, I have just added 'A Small Act' to my Lovefilm rental list.

DH and I sponsor a child in Haiti via SOS Children's Villages.

I was inspired to contribute after seeing their CEO on morning TV after the Haiti earthquakes. SOS already had the staff, resources and infrastructure on the ground so money raised definitely got through to them, they just needed more after there was an influx of orphans after this crisis.

SOS have never asked us for extra money, apart from very gentle suggestions that we could contribute more if we wished/were able to. Otherwise they seem grateful for the £20 we pay to sponsor one particular child and we get regular updates on his progress and the occasional photo.

It is lovely to see he is growing well, has a 'family' around him, social support, accommodation and plenty of food, also the opportunity to go to school and be educated.

bumbleymummy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:20:03

I had that too Meechimoo. We stopped sponsoring. I was getting a bit suspicious because the drawings that we were getting from the child were all the same! I was also annoyed by how much glossy promotional material we were getting and all the advertising. £££££££

shakemysilliesout Mon 26-Jan-15 14:16:14

Wrt minibus- you don't ask you don't get! Same as all charity fundraising.

There are huge cultural differences In the world wrt to giving/ asking/thanking etc. I wouldnt get upset about it if I were you.

If overheads annoy you (such as postage) research charities with low overheads.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: