Talk

Advanced search

To want somebody credible to vote for?

(13 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 26-Jan-15 11:08:43

They're all bloody bonkers confused

Politicians are supposed to be mature, dignified, responsible people, or am I missing something?

They're all a bad joke.

There is no one to vote for. Even the people encouraging rebellion are idiots - looking at you Russell Brand hmm

<tears hair out in frustration>

Tugstonia Mon 26-Jan-15 11:11:26

YANBU. I share your frustration!

LurkingHusband Mon 26-Jan-15 11:11:38

There is a point of view we get the politicians we deserve.

hiddenhome Mon 26-Jan-15 11:19:52

I don't feel that I deserve fools though. None of us do. They're getting worse I think. We've had some poor leaders in the past, but at least they had some dignity and a sense of leadership.

LurkingHusband Mon 26-Jan-15 11:31:38

I didn't mean you personally smile I meant society generally. Just look at the mainstream media, and bear in mind the reason it's mainstream. You won't get too many magazines discussing international economics. You will get a cavalcade of magazines worrying about Kerry Katonas cellulite. Or what's going on in CBB. Someone is reading this shite. Someone is watching this shite. And these someones have to vote for someone.

Panem et circii. I don't think it's an accident sad.

Bear in mind, almost all MPs nowdays are MPs because they have studied to be MPs. Politics has become a "profession".

ghostyslovesheep Mon 26-Jan-15 11:32:54

Try looking at the policies not the personalities

OddBoots Mon 26-Jan-15 11:38:36

You can't even look at policies, there is nothing to hold them account when they dump policies once elected, something they all seem to do. What do you do when they're either untested or untrustworthy?

LurkingHusband Mon 26-Jan-15 11:39:49

But the policies are designed to appeal to dog-whistle voters. "We're tough on crime" is the slogan people vote for - nothing do do with the actual policies.

That's because a lot of people vote like that sad. I can't speak for every UK voter. But certainly a large proportion of people I know that say they are going to vote do it on rosette colour. They have no idea what any of the policies really are :

"I'm voting Labour, because they're for the working man"
"I'm voting Tory because they will sort out immigration"

DrSethHazlittMD Mon 26-Jan-15 12:19:56

I didn't agree with a lot of what Thatcher said but at least she had leadership, firm ideas and stuck to them, rather than constantly swimming with whatever is currently fashionable and coming out with ridiculous soundbites. Same, to an extent, with Kinnock. Tories were Tories, Labour were Labour and were very different and you knew it. Now, they all try to be the same.

hiddenhome Mon 26-Jan-15 13:11:13

I find the policies irrelevant because they don't honour them anyway. They're good at U turns as well.

Rubbish fake policies
Stupid leaders personalities
Everything lacks credibility now.

Honestly don't know who to vote for this time confused

Hatespiders Mon 26-Jan-15 13:14:26

Entirely agree hiddenhome with your 3 points above.
I don't know if I'll bother tottering down to our village hall polling station. But I think of the suffragettes and their brave fight for women's votes, so I'd feel guilty not using my vote.

scissy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:19:06

What are your local candidates like? For example, my local MP isn't from a party that I'd vote for on the whole. But... He actually does a very good job as an individual and looking at his voting record/views does align more with what I think. So I'm relatively lucky. With our rather annoying system of voting for a person to represent your area, when they all seem as bad as each other I just go for the one who I think would actually do a good job at representing people. If you can get to a hustings at election time then that usually helps (last time round it was obvious there were only 2 credible candidates in our area, the others didn't have a clue how to deal with the public.)

hiddenhome Mon 26-Jan-15 13:52:26

We've moved recently so I don't know what anybody is like here. I usually just vote for the party of choice. Usually Labour, but they can't be trusted with the economy and The Millipede is awful confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: