Talk

Advanced search

To think the Green Party are just making themselves look ridiculous?

(170 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sun 25-Jan-15 19:58:19

They really seemed to be gaining support...

But this new 'we will evict the queen from Buckingham palace and put her into a council house' just makes them sound stupid?

I've seen Green Party supporters on facebook sharing this post with excitement and glee but... Really?

Tyzer85 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:00:59

Wait, people think that they're serious?

Islander79 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:01:48

Oh, I wish they would...

londonrach Sun 25-Jan-15 20:02:35

Also saw they supported people joining certain groups but think thats dm scare headings.

pinefruits Sun 25-Jan-15 20:04:37

Only stupid in that she could easily afford to buy her own house if she was evicted.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 25-Jan-15 20:04:40

I've always thought they were quite, quite ridiculous in all honesty.

ILovePud Sun 25-Jan-15 20:11:54

londonrach was this about the right to join terrorist organisations? I saw Natalie Bennet, Green Party Leader, on TV this morning and apparently that is their policy, taking the view that as long as your not engaged in criminal activity you can join whatever organisation you want. She came across terribly IMO.

londonrach Sun 25-Jan-15 20:16:54

I saw ilovepud (love the name but put choc between love and pud) just thought it was dm scare headlines. If not im worried. Am worried ive been desensitised. Talking about the election we not heard anything where we are about any parties. How close are we to the general election!

MyCarHasBrokenDownAgain Sun 25-Jan-15 20:21:15

After what they've done to Brighton I could well believe it :-/

meditrina Sun 25-Jan-15 20:35:54

Well the Palace stuff sounds unfortunately like teen politicking.

The (apparent) lack of understanding of why there are proscribed organisations I find much more concerning. I know the counter-radicalisation programme has not advanced as effectively as either this government, or the previous one which introduced it, had hoped. But trying to tackle extremism on many fronts, and persisting even when not making much progress, still seems worthwhile - and certainly dangerous to abandon.

MyFriendlyDaemon Sun 25-Jan-15 20:41:27

If they have actually said that about Buck House, then teen politicing sounds about the right description.

The bit about it being ok to join IS or Al Quiada is more scary. On the basis of that I truly hope they are not holding the balance of power.

FoxgloveFairy Sun 25-Jan-15 20:44:18

Yes, read their manifesto, being taken apart on a blog here in Australia. Seventy five quid a week for all British citizens? Completely open borders and yes, allowed to join terrorist organizations, is crazy.

ILovePud Sun 25-Jan-15 20:47:03

The next election is on 7th May 2015, I think it's been unusually quiet too, I thought it was just me because I'm feeling a bit disengaged and disillusioned this time round. Maybe it's because last time we lived in a key marginal and so for months in advance we had a fistful of leaflets per week and several party activists knocking on the door. Now we live in a safe seat so maybe the parties aren't expending any energy trying to chase votes here.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 25-Jan-15 20:47:45

She came across awfully. It sounded like she was making it up on the spot, I was honestly expecting promises of everyone getting their own pet unicorn next.

It was genuinely disturbing how small a grip she seemed to have on current laws, regulations and finance.

KnackeredMerrily Sun 25-Jan-15 20:47:54

Recommended reading

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html

londonrach Sun 25-Jan-15 20:58:30

Ilove'choc'pud theres nothing re this election where we are. Last time we were drowning in leaflets from different parties! Why?

writtenguarantee Sun 25-Jan-15 21:04:27

But this new 'we will evict the queen from Buckingham palace and put her into a council house' just makes them sound stupid?

sounds like a great idea to me. But, yes, it does make your party look silly..

Ionacat Sun 25-Jan-15 21:05:51

Didn't Sue Townsend write a book doing just that? One of my favourites!

AuntieStella Sun 25-Jan-15 21:08:49

I've just winced my way through that Telegraph article.

Do they actually make it explicit anywhere that in order to 'abolish' VAT, we'd have to leave EU?

And the prospect of endless recession because it's good for us to reduce consumption is unlikely to be a vote winner.

CaffeLatteIceCream Sun 25-Jan-15 21:08:57

She was making a JOKE!

Good grief hmm

The issue was the abolition of the monarchy. She then segued into talking about their plan to build more council houses...and the queen could have one.

The Citizen's income (£71 a week for everyone) is an absolutely brilliant idea. Switzerland are going to have a referendum to see whether they should introduce it there. So it's not a completely bonkers idea, not when you look at what the actual proposal is and how it will be funded. If anyone is interested, there's a TED talk on it.

The rest of their polices I am not totally familiar with yet....need to do some reading up.

But I think the thrust of this thread is unfair.

meditrina Sun 25-Jan-15 21:11:12

Politicians often get pilloried for soemthing their supporters think is clearly a joke, or was taken out of context. Perhaps they are finally receiving the top table levels of attention I thought they craved?

CaffeLatteIceCream Sun 25-Jan-15 21:17:02

I really, really don't believe that anyone couldn't see that she was joking. Quite apart from the fact that almost immediately afterwards she said something like "She'll be fine, she's got plenty of money".

Does anyone truly think they are planning to stick the Queen in a council flat with Phil?

The issue is the abolition of the monarchy. Why can't people debate that instead of deliberately misinterpreting an obvious joke and using it to dismiss their policies?

Dapplegrey Sun 25-Jan-15 21:19:03

Is the Green Party going to abolish the monarchy? Will they be lined up against the wall and shot?

ChillieJeanie Sun 25-Jan-15 21:22:56

I'm not sure when it was introduced, but there's now a pre-campaign spending limit on all the parties, as well as the maximum legal spend for the election period itself. That might be why people feel they haven't seen as much literature this time round. It kicked in during December, and each candidate has a maximum of £30,700 plus 9p per elector in county constituencies or 6p per elector in borough seats. There's also a limit on what the parties can spend nationally in the run up to the general election, and that counts from May 2014 I think. I can't remember if this was in place ahead of 2010.

meditrina Sun 25-Jan-15 21:23:20

Because the politicos don't get to set the public reaction to their words. And it would be a further sign of great naivety if the Greens have not grasped this.

And if something has misfired, move on. Lots of stuff is taken out of context, and bandied about to further aims.

No-one is going to debate the abolition of the monarchy btw, not with opinion polls putting support so extremely high. Expecting this to be any serious part of the issues that will matter in this election is totally unrealistic and out of touch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: