Talk

Advanced search

To think that pole dancing does not belong on a family show?

(13 Posts)
boodles Sun 25-Jan-15 19:12:37

Since when has it been a family thing?

LIZS Sun 25-Jan-15 19:13:07

Just posted this on another thread , my eyes!!

Jumblebee Sun 25-Jan-15 19:13:20

Erm , what shows are you watching?? confused

AuntieStella Sun 25-Jan-15 19:15:01

I'm watching Countryfile (dairy cows don't dance); is there something less sedate on the Third Channel?

dashoflime Sun 25-Jan-15 19:18:20

It depends.
I think pole dancing originally started as a circus act, before being taken up by the sex industry. Its now in the process of becoming more mainstream and less associated with sexual exploitation.
Think of Argentinian Tango. That originated in brothels but its hard to detect much of the original sleeziness when watching ballroom dancers perform it today. Much more focus on technical skill.
Pole dancing will be the same in 10-20 years time.

TooHasty Sun 25-Jan-15 19:23:48

It stopped being the preserve of 'gentleman's clubs' long ago.It is mainstream now.

SardineQueen Sun 25-Jan-15 19:29:21

Depends on how it was done I guess?

If the main point was sexiness then no, if the main point was athleticism then not so fussed.

With a lot of stuff it's the aim of it rather than what it actually is IYSWIM. Swinging round a pole isn't in itself a "sexy" thing, it's who's doing it, what are they wearing, is the primary aim to sexually arouse the audience type thing.

ilovechristmas1 Sun 25-Jan-15 19:51:58

did you mean Casualty last night

LIZS Sun 25-Jan-15 19:54:28

No itv just now, Get Your Act Together ! Sinitta wrapping herself around a pole , yuk

JustAnotherControlFreak Sun 25-Jan-15 19:56:00

I've said the same to DP twice this week; first was during Hollyoaks and second during Casualty.

victoryinthekitchen Sun 25-Jan-15 19:58:16

I try to avoid the music channels and the rubbish tv programmes that show this sort of thing as I don't like such depressing images of females in my house, it's hard though.

Scram Sun 25-Jan-15 20:02:34

^^
casualty is not meant to be a family show

Birdsgottafly Sun 25-Jan-15 20:12:10

As said, it depends how and why it was shown.

I'm a fan of Pole, Dance and Performance.

The women that can properly carry out a piece of Pole performance are athletes and there is nothing depressing about them.

Proper Pole is aerial Gymnastics/Ballet, but requires great core/overall strength.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: