Talk

Advanced search

...to highlight this "child protection" issue raised by Legoland Manchester

(24 Posts)
shellistar Sat 24-Jan-15 22:41:55

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/adults-learning-difficulties-being-refused-8507988

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I'm really saddened to read about the stance that Legoland Manchester have taken in not allowing adults to enter without a child in their group.

This has been brought to the publics attention because two individuals with severe disabilities have been refused entry (unless to an adults only special event night) because they are... well, adults.

I'm also angry in my own behalf. I was planning on visiting as my DP and I both love Lego and have since we were both small. We thought next time we're in the area we'd pop in for an hour just to see what it's about. Now I know their stance we will not be going, mainly because we wouldn't be allowed. Because we're adults without kids and therefore a danger.

The men in question should not have to have experienced this prejudice. If you agree please may I ask you to take a few minutes to sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/legoland-discovery-centre-manchester-allow-disabled-adults-with-a-carer-or-other-responsible-adult-to-access-the-centre-during-the-day

nocheeseinhouse Sat 24-Jan-15 22:52:36

Because paedophiles never go out with children? And anyone, by virtue of being fertile, who has a child is not a paedophile?

We have to nip this stupidity in the bud.

nocheeseinhouse Sat 24-Jan-15 22:53:28

PS. Legoland Manchester is rubbish, don't bother anyway.

SoonToBeSix Sat 24-Jan-15 22:53:54

Yabu due to the two other current threads.

shellistar Sat 24-Jan-15 22:58:56

Ah! I couldn't see the other threads! But the more people that can get on board the better.

And I agree it's probably lame but if these two men (and countless others in similar situations) enjoy it then who are we too judge :-)

borisgudanov Sun 25-Jan-15 11:06:19

In a softplay place near us I was sitting reading a kindle while DCs played in the playframe which is accessed by a door with a bolt on. Photography is supposedly "forbidden".

Lots of mums were taking pictures because their DCs were having a party. Nothing was done to enforce the photograhy ban.

I however was thrown out for "taking pictures of kids" with my Kindle and "uploading them to the Internet". The Kindle has neither a camera nor the facility to upload any kind of content to remote servers.

Why? Because I am a bloke and therefore a paedophile. hmm

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 25-Jan-15 11:14:59

I understand it is a blanket ban on all lone adults.

This demonstrates why blanket bans on anything are invariably stupid and bound to cause upset.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 25-Jan-15 11:20:40

But surely kids visiting are with their parents.

you can't garuntee an adult with a child is "safe" either.

so vulnerable adults are left to mix with people deemed to be a pervert as an alone adult?

whats wrong with the stance that parents are responsible for their kids they are visiting with and it's up to parents to supervise their children.

FightOrFlight Sun 25-Jan-15 11:22:29

boris were you the person referred to on another thread where the soft play centre allegedly called the police grin

shellistar Sun 25-Jan-15 11:23:53

Boris that's awful. What an awful, stupid and upsetting thing to happen to you. Because of course only men can be pedophiles.

Eurggghhhhh who makes up these awful rules.

Idefix Sun 25-Jan-15 11:27:11

So stupidly shortsighted and reactionary,a real step backwards YANBU op.

EdSheeran Sun 25-Jan-15 11:28:31

So, 3 adults could go to Legoland with a child? In theory, 1 adult could accompany the child while the other 2 go off and do "peedo" things?

AnnaBegins Sun 25-Jan-15 11:31:46

They have that rule at Legoland in the US but not at Windsor I believe. When my DH and I saw about the American one it worried us about the UK one as we are big Lego fans. We ended up going with niece and nephew.

How shortsighted. Is Legoland one of those where we know the CEO's email address and could all email?

FightOrFlight Sun 25-Jan-15 11:37:24

When I took the kids to Disneyland Paris (many years ago) there was a middle aged man all by himself on the teacup ride. Now that was weird especially as he didn't look as if he was enjoying it and then stayed on for another go!

shellistar Sun 25-Jan-15 11:51:46

The PR contact for Legoland Discovery in Manchester is:

jonathan.royle@merlinentertainments.biz

The CEO of Merlin Entertainments is:

nick.varney@merlinentertainments.biz

PaleoRules Sun 25-Jan-15 11:54:28

This doesn't apply to the Legoland in Windsor - there are often groups of adults there without kids.

How very strange that Manchester would have a different rule confused.

redexpat Sun 25-Jan-15 11:59:41

Come to Denmark instead! We are but a ryanair flight away! smile And i have seen plenty of all adult hroups there. Actually it was my and dhs first date in denmark.

Annbag Sun 25-Jan-15 12:05:19

My brother has severe learning difficulties and loves things like this. I often take him to the cinema and he usually chooses a children's film e.g. frozen. We get funny looks all the time. Without explaining to the whole cinema there's not a lot I can do really! I remember Butlins doing a similar thing by not allowing a large group of men with SEN (some sort of anti stag do policy I think) they soon reversed after a petition and publicity

YouAreMyRain Sun 25-Jan-15 12:15:22

My friends all had DC before me and I would regularly join them on day trips etc. presumably, unless I arrived at the same time as them, I wouldn't be allowed in (or would I because I am female so therefore incapable of causing harm to children confused)

Do they have a max ratio of adults to children? Could coach load of paedophiles adults get in with one child or even a (scary) reborn doll in a pushchair?

This is ridiculous.

shellistar Sun 25-Jan-15 12:20:33

I have emailed the CEO and PR contact. Hopefully this will be turned around soon.

Redex I'm on my way grin

YouAre... Good point!!!

shellistar Sun 25-Jan-15 12:27:21

Dear Sirs

I'd like to bring the following issue to your attention. I'm disappointed that Legoland Discovery Centre in Manchester have taken this stance.

Lego is a brand that is close to the nations hearts and has been for generations. I am a 32 year old woman and still love Lego after inheriting a box from my uncle over 25 years ago. I'm a regular visitor to the Manchester stores and was planning on visiting to Discovery Centre in the near future.

I discovered yesterday that without a child with me I would be unable to visit the Legoland Discovery Centre in Manchester unless it was an an approved "adults only evening event". Apparently this is a child protection issue, which I find disgusting and, quite frankly, insulting.

Moreover, I have read many articles over the last 24 hours that have highlighted Legoland Discovery Centre's refusal to renew the annual passes of two men. The men in question both adore Lego and found it one of the few positives in their lives. They're also men with severe disabilities and each have a mental age of less than ten. Rather than making these gentleman welcome to your centre in Manchester you have actually acted with extreme prejudice against them. Ethically, morally and in a PR sense you have utterly, utterly failed.

These are gentlemen who are in no way a danger to anyone, who are the most vulnerable in society and who are actually willing to pay their way have been shunned by your centre in Manchester simply because you deem them a threat to children. You have taken the stance that all adults who wish to visit your Legoland Discovery Centre in Manchester without a child in tow are a danger to children. This is an opinion that is not only inherently wrong but insulting and disgusting. I'm horrified that not only these vulnerable men have been subjected to this treatment but that I also fall in this category and would be unable to visit whenever I chose. All because I don't have the luxury of having children.

To me it seems that you're making a decision based on a knee jerk reaction. You're making sweeping generalisations about adults who visit without children. Your team have in no way looked into the statistics. If they had they would know that children are more likely to be in danger from those that they know, such as an immediate family member and not, in fact, a complete stranger.

Legoland Discovery Centre in Manchester must use this opportunity to redeem themselves and retract their decision to bar these men from visiting. I am in no way affiliated with men but I suggest you offer these men a great deal of free goods by way of an apology, such as several yearly passes and many popular toys. You have the opportunity to turn this around but only if you act appropriately, something that has been lacking thus far.

I thank you for your time.

Camolips Sun 25-Jan-15 12:28:10

The rule only applies to the Discovery Centre in Manchester. It is a small indoor venue aimed at children that has a large soft play area. As I said on the other thread the reason for the ruling could be nothing to do with 'paedo' behaviour, more a logistical reason that has been noted. E.g. Groups of young adults in a confined space that makes it hard to keep an eye on your child. When I went I could see this was a problem. You couldn't see ahead into the next area through a sea of jostling people.
I expect when Lego decided on this rule they hadn't taken into consideration the sensory enjoyment of the venue for adults with learning difficulties. I hope they will come up with a satisfactory solution.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sun 25-Jan-15 12:30:42

Ha ha Redexpat, I have to go once a year to Denmark for work and fly into the airport next to legoland.

I usually have a free afternoon and last time I went to the waterpark and next time I plan to go to legoland (big kid at heart, not a paedo honest) and these threads made me worry that legoland would be off the list.

Ironically, when I went to the watermark a Danish woman asked me to accompany her DD on one of the bigger slides as she was also looking after a toddler. I don't understand Danish at all and I think she took my lack of understanding as a refusal until I told her I was English.

shellistar Sun 25-Jan-15 12:30:55

Yes Camo, a good point!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: