Advanced search

DD been off school sick today and wants to go to a party this evening

(221 Posts)
Waitingfordolly Fri 23-Jan-15 16:20:25

Stomach ache (though no sickness or diarrhoea) and generally looking peaky, although she does seem a lot better now. She's 11. I have said no she can't go to the party. She is upstairs in floods of tears saying that everyone else's mum would let them go. AIBU?

ssd Fri 23-Jan-15 16:21:08

hard one.

RoadRunner123 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:21:49

Nope, school, no party.

poocatcherchampion Fri 23-Jan-15 16:22:34

No chance.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Fri 23-Jan-15 16:22:34

YANBU. same here no school no party.

ShutUpLegs Fri 23-Jan-15 16:22:58

DevonFolk Fri 23-Jan-15 16:23:09

No chance!

OwlinaTree Fri 23-Jan-15 16:23:12

Agree with roadrunner YANBU.

DudeWheresMyDonkey Fri 23-Jan-15 16:23:13

No school, no party here as well.

pootlebug Fri 23-Jan-15 16:23:29

No school = no after-school activities (parties, clubs, playdates, whatever) is the rule in this house.

paperlace Fri 23-Jan-15 16:24:09

As long as you are sure she's not unwell - no fever or vomitting - I think I'd probably let her go but not sure..sorry not much help!

I certainly wouldn't think she should miss the party on principle myself.

manchestermummy Fri 23-Jan-15 16:24:28

Mine are younger but no, I don't think she should go. Dd1 fabricated being ill once and was sent home from school and then wanted to go to the school summer fair. That was a no!

shovetheholly Fri 23-Jan-15 16:24:55

If she's too ill to go to school, she's too ill to go to a party (even if she feels a bit better). It's not just about her - it's about not passing what sounds like a virus on to other children.

Also, there is a valuable life lesson in there. She needs to realise that she can't pick and choose when she's ill - if she decides she needs a day off school, that means she can't go to the party in the evening, even if she feels better. It's kind of like not going out to the pub after work when you've had a day off - if someone saw you, can you imagine what they would think?

Finally, what are you going to look like as a parent if you let her go? People will think she's been bunking off and you are colluding with it.

kathryng90 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:01

Same no school no party. Got both mine off school today. One is missing a birthday party tonight and the other a dance show.

tiredvommachine Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:03

Agreed. Not well enough for school then not well enough to go to the party. That's how I was parented smile

JohnCusacksWife Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:16

No way. If they're too ill to go to school then they're too ill to go anywhere else.

waithorse Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:25

I wouldn't let mine go to a party in these circumstances.

CeliaLytton Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:48

YANBU I think that's pretty fair. She may well be feeling better but it's hard luck, these things happen and she'll get over it.

Otoh, had you not already said this, unless she is a serial school refuser then it is likely she was feeling rough, is now feeling better and would be perfectly fine to go, had you not already taken a stand.

Teachers might see it in a bad light though, as would your boss if you called in sick to work and were then seen later that evening dancing on a table in the pub grin

PrimalLass Fri 23-Jan-15 16:25:49

I would. It's Friday <slack mum>

Cocolepew Fri 23-Jan-15 16:26:18

No here too.

Waitingfordolly Fri 23-Jan-15 16:26:18

Thanks. There's a little bit of principle involved, other reasons are she is tired and I think needs to rest (full day of dancing tomorrow) otherwise she will exhaust herself, and also on the off chance that she is still infectious (other people have had bug - we just tend not to actually be sick with anything) then I don't want her passing it around.

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 23-Jan-15 16:26:56

No school no party & if it were my child's party, I'd be pretty pissed off if I found out a child ill enough to be off school was sent to spend an evening in close confines were all her friends (& IME girls do like to attach themselves to each other so keeping a distance isn't an option grin )

Patchworkpatty Fri 23-Jan-15 16:27:59

is she well now ? if so then why can't she go ? I had stomach ache this morning but feel tips top now a d will go out for dinner tonight. unless you think she is faking being well, the only reason to not let her go is to be mean !!

DidoTheDodo Fri 23-Jan-15 16:28:04

I'm a no too.

00100001 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:28:12

if you're off sick from school/work during the day, all evening activities are cancelled no matter what!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now