Advanced search

AIBU not to know what to do with myself?

(12 Posts)
CallMeExhausted Fri 23-Jan-15 13:45:50

DH has just received a promotion (and I could not be more thrilled by this).

Today is the second day for him in his new position, so while my day has changed slightly (breakfast/packed lunches for 3 instead of 2) it is not all that different. However, because I am doing more in the first couple of hours of my day instead of spread out with the DCs in the morning and DH leaving at 2pm, I have this sneaking suspicion that I am missing something crucial.

I know I didn't miss anything, but now that I have a few minutes to myself, I am feeling like a lazy slug.

Any hints as to when I will find my new "normal"?

AnyFucker Fri 23-Jan-15 13:54:52

perhaps you could try something or even anything that doesn't directly revolve around your husband and your kids

I don't mean to be snippy but the way you described yourself and your day sounds like someone below stairs

come on woman !

CallMeExhausted Fri 23-Jan-15 14:18:20

AnyFucker I love your honesty!

DD is severely disabled, so for years I have been an "extension" of her, but you are absolutely right.

I had orthopaedic surgery 7 weeks ago, and have only been "permitted" by my surgeon to out weight on my foot for a week, so I am finding myself staring at the house and seeing what needs to be done.

However, with the better part of the school day now to myself, am I out of my mind to limit myself to a maximum of 2 hours' "housework" and spend the rest of the time in my workshop?

LineRunner Fri 23-Jan-15 14:21:08

What do you do in your workshop?

CallMeExhausted Fri 23-Jan-15 14:26:13

Mostly make glass lampwork beads. That, and some jewellery making and sewing.

LineRunner Fri 23-Jan-15 14:48:52

Yes, definitely do more of that.

Do you sell online?

AlorsMeh Fri 23-Jan-15 14:56:47

Another vote for less housework and more workshop time. I don't even do 2 minutes of housework most days. I do work from home though.

AnyFucker Fri 23-Jan-15 16:01:33

That's more like it !

Unless the jewelry making is yet another chore and you derive pleasure from more of that

AnyFucker Fri 23-Jan-15 16:02:42

That's more like it !

If you derive personal satisfaction and pleasure out of the jewelry more of that

if it's yet another chore...don't

AnyFucker Fri 23-Jan-15 16:03:08

Sorry, I thought the first one didn't post

CallMeExhausted Fri 23-Jan-15 18:14:03

No, I enjoy doing it.

I don't sell online. The majority of the "fancy" beads I make are donated to an organisation called Beads of Courage that chronicles medical treatment for critically or chronically ill children. The rest generally end up as gifts or in the giant brandy snifter full of "flops" that is pretty to look at but not worth much more.

flipchart Fri 23-Jan-15 18:19:30

How about setting up a page on something like etsy and sell half of your jewellery and donate half to your charity.

You may well end up donating the same amount but because you have more time you can sell some for yourself
put the word out once you feel comfortable with Dd's friends mums and ask them to pas the word on maybe via FB page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now