Talk

Advanced search

opening the microwave door when its running blasts everyone nearby with radiation

(107 Posts)
alittlethyme Fri 23-Jan-15 12:49:26

OK so I am a tin foil hat person, but at work I sit near a microwave and people always spend ages typing in a number only to just open the door before its finished.

Aibu to think this door opening is blasting everyone with unnecessary radiation?

britbat Fri 23-Jan-15 12:51:28

You have nothing to worry about: www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#michldmeh

DeanKoontz Fri 23-Jan-15 12:51:34

Doesn't it stop the minute you open the door?

I don't have a microwave, so not sure.

DamsonInDistress Fri 23-Jan-15 12:51:50

YABU, the mechanism stops when the door is opened, silly!

kaykayred Fri 23-Jan-15 12:52:10

Yes, you are being totally unreasonable.

It's a fucking microwave, not a box of plutonium.

Offler Fri 23-Jan-15 12:52:59

Um, opening the door automatically stops the microwave whether the time has finished or not. It makes no difference.

LineRunner Fri 23-Jan-15 12:53:08

You actually believe this?

songbird Fri 23-Jan-15 12:54:17

I have a great mental image of you sitting at your desk in a tin foil hat glaring at people heating up their soup!

LineRunner Fri 23-Jan-15 12:54:42

Anyway everyone knows that microwaves are powered by tiny aliens pedalling teeny weeny intergalactic bicycles round the back.

EatShitDerek Fri 23-Jan-15 12:55:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 23-Jan-15 12:55:40

Have you actually made a hat out of tinfoil, or do you just buy some of those foil pie tins?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 23-Jan-15 12:56:33

If you have a microwave that works when the door is open, its faulty, take it back.

PausingFlatly Fri 23-Jan-15 13:04:06

And this is why it automatically stops when the door is opened.

As Tali says, if it DOESN'T stop, get rid immediately. It's faulty and highly dangerous.

Focusfocus Fri 23-Jan-15 13:11:31

Which one of these is yours then? I quite fancy some of the designs actually. Oh I really needed this thread today. Thank you OP :d

Fatstacks Fri 23-Jan-15 13:15:43

My DP insists microwaves cause cancer.

Odd really because he's quite sane and rational normally.

squoosh Fri 23-Jan-15 13:17:46

When I was in college I had a part time job working in a hospital. One of the duties included getting people ready for their ultrasounds and x-rays.

I remember once turning around and the lovely old man I had brought down for a chest x-ray was standing there bare bummed with his hospital gown over his head. When I asked him what he was doing he said 'protecting myself from the radiation'.

You remind me of that man.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 23-Jan-15 13:20:11

Anyway everyone knows that microwaves are powered by tiny aliens pedalling teeny weeny intergalactic bicycles round the back

grin

5Foot5 Fri 23-Jan-15 13:20:33

Ha ha. I used to know a woman who claimed that if she ate food heated in a microwave it made her fillings hurt.

SilentCharisma Fri 23-Jan-15 13:22:57

Microwaves are in fact very dangerous machines - my father worked in electronics, in the labs of several very well known appliance manufacturers and he wouldn't have one until the mid-90's when they were much safer.

You shouldn't ever look inside microwaves as they're turning - it's not a myth, and you should stand away from them to be super-safe. They're not dangerous like they were years ago, but I show caution because my extremely non-woo, very rational father was always very careful of them.

Also - don't use them if the door is cracked. My father was horrified when at one of my friend's parents house to see their plastic door had split and it had been taped up. He was so concerned he gave them our spare one.

They do however stop as soon as the door is opened and are safe from that point of view. grin

Honeydragon Fri 23-Jan-15 13:23:04

Put your tin foil hat in the microwave. Sit under your desk.

Problem permanently and loudly solved.

DaphneMoonCrane Fri 23-Jan-15 13:23:45

My DH always leaves the microwave door open 'to let it air' hmm

It drives me mad, because it means the light inside the microwave gets left on and uses infintesimal amounts of energy.

CaptainAnkles Fri 23-Jan-15 13:24:30

Kaykayred gringrin

specialsubject Fri 23-Jan-15 13:26:44

scary post.

probably typed on a phone which is kept permanently nearby, in a house and office full of wi-fi and electrical cables.

none of which are of any proven or noticeable hazard.

I'm off to start my tinfoil hat business.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 23-Jan-15 13:27:18

Daphne mine does this too angry

FamilyAdventure Fri 23-Jan-15 13:36:55

I'd be uncomfortable sitting next to a microwave that was in use constantly but the door being opened or not wouldn't change that.

I don't really think they're dangerous but I think there's a chance they might be. Same with mobile phones, parabens in cosmetics, fire retardency chemicals.... There's loads of stuff all around us that might be causing long term health problems and the startlingly high increase in cancer rates. Trouble is there's so much of it the science is never going to be able to properly establish which are safe and which aren't and even if it did, we're so dependant on it all we'd continue to use them anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: