Talk

Advanced search

To Have Label Rage

(29 Posts)
Whippet81 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:07:51

I have been tipped over the edge this week by a small hat for my 3 month old DS. There were four long white labels in it telling me what it was made from, how to wash it and where it was made - the lot.

I have a permanent sore dry patch on both my right hand side and the back of my neck. I can't just 'cut them out' as I find this makes them even sharper.

I've taken to wearing knickers up to my armpits and vest tops inside out or the ones with no labels down to my knickers (TMI).

Surely there is a better way of universally saying 'cotton - wash at 40'.

Am I BU to be getting overly raged about this?

Don't get me started on those bloody plastic tags things you have to ping off (lots of new baby clothes).

Claybury Fri 23-Jan-15 08:21:10

YANBU sometimes these labels are like small books especially on sportswear when they are in 6 languages.
I prefer when they are printed on the fabric. Labels on the neck - so itchy ! And you're right , you can't cut them out.
I bought some stuff in the US last year, labels were easy to remove smile. It can be done.

lookingforbaubles Fri 23-Jan-15 08:24:32

i to had such rage at the last pair of pants i had from M&S

not only did they have at least 3 labels at the back of the pants but they were each at least 3 inches long

i didnt cut them out straight away but did consider buying a pair of scissors while out for the day to do so as they were so uncomfortable!

WitchWay Fri 23-Jan-15 08:26:33

I find some labels are absolutely fine for ages & then suddenly become all stiff & scratchy on the edges & corners - why??? Everything is washed at a maximum of 40C, with the same stuff, in the same way. hmm

I've also cut holes in things trying to remove labels as close as possible sad

Seff Fri 23-Jan-15 09:40:27

My DD's gloves have about 6 labels in each glove.

Would a seam ripper help remove them instead of cutting them?

SuasSios Fri 23-Jan-15 09:44:34

I have a heap of vest tops and tees that I've butchered while trying to take off a label sewn into the side seam.

Granted, I am usually not v careful, and I know I could make a better job and stitch it back up again. As these are generally cheap tops that I wear as a base layer anyway, I am not too careful with them.

I prefer the tops that have the size etc printed on to the fabric at the neck, but they still seem to have a big old label down the side.

Pumpkinette Fri 23-Jan-15 10:30:41

YANBU

Wear you nickers and vest tops inside out. That's what I do.

Also invest in a seam ripper to remove the tags completely. It doesn't work on all labels, places like primark and h&m tend to add them with the main stitch to hold the seams together, it does work on a lot of things though. You do lose the care instructions but I never wash clothes on a high heat anyway and most things come out fine at 30 degrees.

I find gap are quite good for having printed on labels rather than the itchy ones - particularly in children's clothes. They do great cotton kids pants - big labels stitched in separately that can be removed with a seam ripper in about 5 seconds.

TranquilityofSolitude Fri 23-Jan-15 10:34:20

I always laugh at those soft toys in Ikea that have such enormous labels that they look like you're buying a label with a tiny toy attached rather than a toy with a label on it.

fluffyraggies Fri 23-Jan-15 10:38:18

An itchy neck label put me in such a rage once that i tried to cut it out without taking the top off. Dragging the jumper violently round to the side and nashing my teeth, arms waving about behind my head with scissors; i managed to stab myself in the back of the neck, enraging myself even further.

There is a sizable hole in the jumper now. I will stitch it up one day. While it gives me the rage again just to look at it though, it will languish in the wardrobe.

YANBU OP.

Seff Fri 23-Jan-15 10:39:37

h&m seem to be the worst when it comes to size and number of labels.

Stinkle Fri 23-Jan-15 10:42:04

YANBU

I have a pair of gloves that are driving me utterly insane at the moment.

Not only are there 2 really long labels sewn into the side seam, there's also a long sticky label stuck inside on the wrist bit and it's irritating the life out of me

I've cut the sewn in labels off, but I just can't remove the sticky one. It's even survived a couple of trips round the washing machine.

My DD2 has sensory issues and labels are a nightmare for her

fluffyraggies Fri 23-Jan-15 10:52:16

I hate the white sticky labels on the bottoms of new shoes as well. (I hate seeing them on other people's shoes!) If you can pick them off before your first walk in them you're ok. If not ... they're stuck on good and proper. Grrr.

BreakingDad77 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:16:27

YANBU - a lot of my boxers have had the label unpicked as it was right in middle above bum crack and would really irritate!

Behooven Fri 23-Jan-15 11:18:33

YADNBU!
Labels and the long loops for hanging things up irritate me muchly.

Whippet81 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:20:53

I'm glad it's not just me. DP looks at me like I've lost the plot when I'm ranting but of you have sensitive skin (or not) it's a nightmare.

It was a H&M hat they seem to be the worst culprit.

I have just put some slipper socks on DS and noticed that there are two massive labels inside - so he's had to have socks on first.

Do you think I'll get arrested if I run around H&M ripping labels out and dump them all on the desk? I was provoked.

Whippet81 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:21:46

Oh the long hanging hoops that no one uses but hang out of your top so you have to cut them out too. Argh!

WastingMyYoungYears Fri 23-Jan-15 11:24:33

Oh God, now I'm thinking about Breaking's bum crack. This is not what I come to MN for grin.

I hate labels too, it's not as bad when they can be removed properly with a seam ripper though. I bet no-one actually tells the companies though.

BreakingDad77 Fri 23-Jan-15 12:17:22

Lol WastingMyYY sorry to have left you with that image on a friday!

WastingMyYoungYears Fri 23-Jan-15 12:23:00

grin

KatoPotato Fri 23-Jan-15 12:24:38

Gap Kids, bloody joke. It's like a small tome hanging off the inside bottom of a top!

DoJo Fri 23-Jan-15 14:44:20

Oh the long hanging hoops that no one uses but hang out of your top so you have to cut them out too. Argh!

Agree, these are very annoying as they always seem to come in the kind of top that you are never going to be able to hang up anyway! However, I keep them and use them as bookmarks so it's not all bad. Wish someone would come up with a scientific explanation for what happens to a label after you've owned something for six months and it goes from unnoticeable to completely unbearable in the time between putting the clothing on and travelling to a place where you cannot take it off to cut the label out!

Felyne Fri 23-Jan-15 14:50:12

I hate itchy labels too. Boden clothes drive me nuts for this!
I've never understood clothing for babies which has hard scratchy tags in, usually 'boutiquey' stuff is worse in this regard.
I do like that H&M think to include a name tag in kids' stuff though!

WitchWay Fri 23-Jan-15 16:07:45

DoJo I use the hanging loops to replace those string ties inside dressing gowns when they wear out smile

They also make good cat toys if tied into bunches grin

limitedperiodonly Fri 23-Jan-15 16:36:29

A quick unpick might work.

limitedperiodonly Fri 23-Jan-15 16:39:32

Pumpkinette got there before me. They're good but, like she said, they don't work if the label is sewn into the seam.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: