Talk

Advanced search

To write a negative review?

(8 Posts)
mindthegap79 Thu 22-Jan-15 22:14:48

We've been having a nightmare with our builders. I won't go into all the details but they've put our family through hell and left our home in a terrible state.

We're on the point of reaching a settlement. Afterwards, we'll finally be able to get new builders in and move on.

My question is, can I write some honest, but very negative reviews about them on all the builder review websites I can find, as well as their local Facebook pages? I want to warn anyone who might ever use them, but I worry that doing so could lead to more problems. any thoughts/experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 22-Jan-15 22:24:45

Is the settlement being negotiated through lawyers? You might find there's a clause that forbids you from doing what you propose. I understand that you want to do it - who wouldn't? - but bear in mind the laws on libel etc. Could be a minefield for you.

mindthegap79 Thu 22-Jan-15 22:29:06

Yes, libel is what worries me. We're hopefully going to settle without going to court. The review would be very objective, not emotional and totally honest. Argh I don't know what to do for the best! I hate the idea of them basically getting away with it and doing this to someone else.

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 22-Jan-15 23:02:11

I do understand that - I'd feel the same! Do you know which review sites you have in mind? Maybe go look at them and see how other people are reviewing. Is it all in couched terms? Is there a kind of code for shitty workmanship ? Or ask your new builder for advice.

DreamingofSummer Thu 22-Jan-15 23:07:05

It's only libel if it's untrue.

Assuming you don't have a gagging clause in your settlement you will be OK if you choose your words carefully.

mindthegap79 Fri 23-Jan-15 09:49:56

I'm not sure which sites - I need to research, but basically what I want to achieve is that whenever anyone Googles them they'll see links to negative reviews. There are also lots of local community groups on Facebook, so I thought I'd post on those too. I'd keep it simple - just a summary of what happened, what they did, what happened in the end etc. Plus maybe some photos of how they left our home.

I'll certainly read some similar reviews people have written about similar issues.

I'm quite a non-confrontational type who gets along with most people, but I just hate these builders angry

Nancy66 Fri 23-Jan-15 09:56:18

some of the 'find a builder' sites are dodgy. Builders pay to be on there - customers don't pay to leave reviews. So you'll often find only glowing reviews while negative ones don't get published. No builder is going to pay to be on a site that slags him off.

Not all. but some. Rate People is a reputation for burying negative reviews.

But, yes, provided it's not a condition of your settlement then I would post some honest reviews (if you can)

maninawomansworld Fri 23-Jan-15 18:44:31

If you do leave a bad review, you MUST be able to substantiate everything you say - so if your house is a state, photograph it etc..

If they were to try and bring a case the onus would be upon them to prove that you were lying - NOT the other way round!
The fact they're settling out of court now tells me that they don't want the agro or potential negative publicity a court appearance may bring so the odds are they wouldn't sue anyway.

My parents had a proper row with some builders once when I was a child. My Mother barricaded their van in with a tractor which stayed there for 3 weeks. they eventually came back and finished the job when they couldn't cope for any longer without the van.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: