Talk

Advanced search

anyone who trys to belittle someone for being vegetarian must have issues with themselves

(68 Posts)
alittlethyme Thu 22-Jan-15 14:03:02

I'm not really bothered, but there is a couple of people in my new job who constantly spout ignorant anti vegetarian stuff at me. Like "can't you eat cow if it just ate grass as its vegetarian" or "don't you want to eat this" while eating some food that looks and smells grim to me.

I think they are trying to be funny, but seriously its at best ignorant . are they threatened by what I eat? Why do they have issues with it?

Anyway would I be u to reply to these (very unhealthy) looking people that I feel good and like my healthy bmi?

IamTitanium Thu 22-Jan-15 14:05:44

So your idea of a response is to belittle them, do you have issues with yourself?

HollyBdenum Thu 22-Jan-15 14:06:16

YANBU to be pissed off with your colleagues' remarks, but YABU to shower them with BMI smugness - vegetarians are just as capable of eating a crap diet as meat eaters.

Chilicosrenegade Thu 22-Jan-15 14:07:07

Perfect answer titanium grin

Chilicosrenegade Thu 22-Jan-15 14:07:52

Good one holly too! X post grin

TakeMeUpTheNorthMountain Thu 22-Jan-15 14:09:02

Your post OP, is like a game of spot the vegetarian.....

colafrosties Thu 22-Jan-15 14:14:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunshineAndShadows Thu 22-Jan-15 14:15:00

How is the OP saying that she feels good and likes to be healthy belittling the rude colleagues who are critiquing her food choices confused
I find it bizarre on MN that if you try and stand up for yourself in a situation where others are clearly being rude, you're immediately jumped on!

I'd just ignore them OP, or yawn loudly when they start or maybe ask innocently why they are so interested in your food preferences as you find it a bit creepy.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 22-Jan-15 14:16:39

OP, just to warn you, the only way you can make your post any worse is to say you eat and enjoy meat substitutes.

grin

TakeMeUpTheNorthMountain Thu 22-Jan-15 14:19:43

Sunshine
This is the OP and her goady opening post, not anyone elses...

*I think they are trying to be funny, but seriously its at best ignorant . are they threatened by what I eat? Why do they have issues with it?

Anyway would I be u to reply to these (very unhealthy) looking people*

GoringBit Thu 22-Jan-15 14:23:53

Given the bunfighting and frothing that a sprinkling of salt has caused, I can't wait to see how this thread pans out...

<grabs salted popcorn and frazzles>

YesIDidMeanToBeSoRudeActually Thu 22-Jan-15 14:24:50

SurburbanRhonda......or fish! <ducks>

How exactly do they "look unhealthy", OP?

DandyHighwayman Thu 22-Jan-15 14:26:46

Best not explore Veganism with your colleagues then, eek!

HairyOrk Thu 22-Jan-15 14:28:31

I have no problem with vegetarians (my OH is one) buy can't bear smugness and the implication that it automatically makes the veggie healthier and a better person.

Those people are in the wrong because they are acting insensitively.
I find it odd and hypocritically that you feel the need to bring their appearance and you apparent superior health into it

kewtogetin Thu 22-Jan-15 14:28:33

I have yet to meet a 'non smug' vegetarian. Perfectly encapsulated by your OP.

kewtogetin Thu 22-Jan-15 14:30:01

FWIW, I bloody love meat, I'd have rare steak for every meal, everyday. My BMI is perfect and I'm bloody gorgeous grin

GokTwo Thu 22-Jan-15 14:33:18

I find it very annoying too when people do this, I'm not a vegetarian but can't understand why it bothers people so much that others are. It's really rude.

Not true that all veggies are healthy and slim though. I know plenty of overweight veggies.

bigbluestars Thu 22-Jan-15 14:33:20

Lots of crap from vegetarians too in my experience.

Most of them eat dairy which is a very cruel industry- day old calves are "surplus" and crated off to the veal industry. Others will ingore pieces of pepperoni on pizza or eat Haribos

My "vegan" family member has us jumping through hoops when cooking for her will happily eat an ice cream sundae ( as it's a treat) or gorge herself on a hot chocolate with marshmallows.

There are lots of hypocritical vegetarians- it works both ways.

You think they are fat and cruel- they think you are arrogant.

alittlethyme Thu 22-Jan-15 14:35:43

Wow want expecting to get jumped on by this. You can be perfectly healthy as a vegetation and a meat eater.

However I'm talkingabout this particular group of people where the meat eaters look very unhealthy (obese, bloated face, out of breath after walking up the stairs) but they are the ones picking apart my diet, I never mention anything about theirs to them.

Why is it OK for them to belittle me but to stand up to myself is wrong?

IamTitanium Thu 22-Jan-15 14:38:08

How is the OP saying that she feels good and likes to be healthy belittling the rude colleagues who are critiquing her food choices

OP says...Anyway would I be u to reply to these (very unhealthy) looking people that I feel good and like my healthy bmi?

What does that sentence say to you?

I don't actually agree anyway that if some one belittles you they have issues with themselves, they may just be rude.

I was asking the OP a question based on her logic and thinking.

I also think any one commenting on peoples choices of food/diet/look/health etc are rude.

You can stand up for your self, you don't have to be a rude fuck back to make your point.

Fleetfoxes Thu 22-Jan-15 14:40:21

just rise above it and ignore. If you're healthy and happy then that's all that matters.

Don't reply with nasty snide comments. That makes you just as bad

alittlethyme Thu 22-Jan-15 14:43:13

Oh I have ignored them, obviously my last bit was just a tounge in cheap vent. I have no plans to say the kind of things aloud that they say to me.

Chillyegg Thu 22-Jan-15 14:43:59

I used to be a hardcore veggie/ borderline vegan ( I live with a really strict raw eating vegan, started of cus I couldn't afford meat at halal meat atUni Still don't eat gelatine. But that's for religious reasons. I used to get all sorts just smile and I found bringing in to work/Uni veggie and vegan treats always wins people over. I made a vegan chocolate and peanut butter cake that won one particular mean person over. I will however refuse to be preachy and make people peddle around after me! It's rude and there's nothing worse than someone telling you what to do. And no not not all veggies and vegans are healthy.

IamTitanium Thu 22-Jan-15 14:44:58

alittlethyme
Maybe re read the thread, where had anyone told you its wrong to stand up for yourself?
Some people have disagreed with what you have asked Anyway would I be u to reply to these (very unhealthy) looking people that I feel good and like my healthy bmi?
Not told you not to stick up for yourself...

PeaStalks Thu 22-Jan-15 14:48:28

So how do they know you are a vegetarian?
There is that old joke,
"how do you know when someone is a vegetarian?"
Answer
"wait 5 minutes and they will tell you."

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: