Advanced search

to think I can get a nice wedding dress...

(120 Posts)
guiltynetter Wed 21-Jan-15 22:01:13

on a budget of £800?

I don't know if I was being naive but I genuinely thought this was an okay sum of money. I've been to 3 shops so far, the first shop had no dresses under £1000. A shop I went to today that advertises having dresses for all budgets had 3 I could try on in my price range. Another one I went to said they only had their sample gowns for that price (but in strange sizes).

feeling slightly dejected. I thought wedding dress shopping would be fun! am I being unreasonable, and any tips for me? do you think it's a bad idea to maybe call or email the wedding shops beforehand to check if they have something in my budget, as the one I went to where they had none under £1000 was just embarrassing. is that just how much they all are?

I feel as if I've got £100 to spend or something, not £800...

DertieBertie Wed 21-Jan-15 22:03:33

Would you consider buying online? My wedding dress was £50 from ebay and was absolutely lovely. Nobody would have known were I not so proud of the bargain I got!

TwitterWooooo Wed 21-Jan-15 22:06:07

Of course you can! Mine was £150, plus £50 to alter it. 'Twas lovely, if I do say so myself!

addictedtosugar Wed 21-Jan-15 22:06:24

Would anything from the High Street meet your ideal dress?

I got married in and Debenhams dress. I went more looking for ideas, and discovered the perfect dress. No-one believed it was a high street one.

RandomMess Wed 21-Jan-15 22:06:26

I would go and try on wedding dresses you like, regardless of prices. Find out what you like and what suits.

Then look on ebay for similar styles in the right size.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 22:07:16

My mum offered to buy my wedding dress so I had no budget but it just so happened the one I picked was £850 in a bridal shop . This was in 2011 so not that long ago . You can definitely do it . Good luck smile

ifitsnotanarse Wed 21-Jan-15 22:07:49

Have you tried Debenhams? I got dream style dress there for £250 and it was lovely. It needed some slight altering which cost about £80.

I too visited local shops when searching and found the same as you attitude as you. Not nice to be made feel so small. sad

notnowImreading Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:10

Oh gosh yes. Lots of lovely things around the £500 mark. Alternatively, you're welcome to have mine for nothing. It's plain and nice, 5 years old, Alfred Angelo, obviously worn joyfully once.

ifitsnotanarse Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:20

my dream style dress

Amaxapax Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:31

I think you can definitely ask ahead. When I called to make appointments they often asked about the type of dress I was interested in and my budget. I know lots of people will say to look at Monsoon, Phase 8 and similar, but there is something really lovely and special about going to a boutique to choose your wedding dress. You can also look for sample sales, which are an excellent way of getting a dress for a more reasonable price.

I'm wanting to sell my dress, which is gorgeous and in pristine condition, but I have found that the market is saturated. There are definitely good deals to be found if you're willing to look at used dresses.

GretnaGreen Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:55

I bought a basque for about £180 and a velvet skirt for about £40. Mine weren't white or cream but no reason why you couldn't do something similar.

RoseberryTopping Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:57

I know how you feel. I went to a shop and said my budget was £500 a roundabouts, was promptly directed out the back to the grotty sale rail or to take myself off to BHS!

I think looking online is your best bet. I ended up getting mine from phase eight for £250 down from £500.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:58

That's a reasonable budget. I honestly think that dresses can be very similar. Maybe treat dress shopping as an opportunity to identify what shape/fabric/colour/embellishments you like. After that, focus on getting something within budget.

notnowImreading Wed 21-Jan-15 22:08:59

Size 12 (ish - top end)

drinkyourmilk Wed 21-Jan-15 22:09:16

I had mine made to measure. Cost £400 October last year on South coast.

BlinkAndMiss Wed 21-Jan-15 22:09:43

A quality shop will have a dress in your price range - usually off the shelf. Mine was from a bridal shop, it was from last season and much too big. They measured me, adjusted the dress and did everything I would have expected if I'd have bought a latest season, made to measure type dress. My budget was £1000 and the dress was £900, the same store sorted out my relative with a budget of £500. There is no reason why a bridal store wouldn't be able to source you a dress that they can alter and professionally fit for within your budget, it's a myth that you should have to spend ££££ on a dress, not that £800 isn't £££££ - I think that's a perfectly reasonable budget.

GretnaGreen Wed 21-Jan-15 22:09:57

... assuming that fits with what you want, obviously!

FryOneFatManic Wed 21-Jan-15 22:10:03

Do you have to go for a traditional dress?

I saw a website that DD likes the look of for her prom next year. They also do wedding dresses in the style of the 1950s teadresses, so not floor length, but they are lovely, and quirky.

If DP and I ever do get married, I want something like these dresses. I think to get dress, petticoats and sash would come to £300 - £400.

RobbStarksBitch Wed 21-Jan-15 22:10:24

Google 'Wedding Dress Factory Outlet'. I'm not sure if there is one near where you are but they have stunning dresses (you can see some on their website and facebook page) and all cost under £449.

pepperfish Wed 21-Jan-15 22:11:19

I bought mine second hand - best decision I made! I loved it (was able to try on a sample in a bridal shop before I committed).

It's been worn once and most dresses are in near perfect condition, plus you'll probably get it for 50% or less of the original price.

Search and, both brilliant sites for bargain dress hunting smile

nottheOP Wed 21-Jan-15 22:11:37

Where are you location wise? Shops tend to vary in their budget range.

I had a budget of 600 & had plenty of choice on the right shops.

guiltynetter Wed 21-Jan-15 22:12:53

thank you for the suggestions! addictedtosugar I've had a look at coast and monsoon but I will check the others out now. I'm unsure about eBay as my sister got one from there (from china which I'm guessing people mean) and it was tiny, despite it being 'made to measure'. and it wasn't returnable.

WooWooOwl Wed 21-Jan-15 22:13:35

I got a gorgeous Sophia Tolli dress for that from a lovely little wedding dress shop for £800, I just had to find the right shop first. Some wedding dress shops are crap.

steppeinginto2015 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:13:49

well I have one for sale ! £200, never worn, very pretty. Was loads more originally. (no sad story, happily married in another dress!)

I tried to sell it on ebay and no-one bid on it

I am pretty sure that it didn't sell because there were so many pretty dresses for sale for less.

So if you don't mind second hand dress, you could find an expensive dress on ebay for a cut down price, then spend money on dry clean and alterations

Lazymummy2014 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:14:22

Call a load of bridal shops, state budget and ask how many dresses they have. Saves you going and their not having any.

Think about second hand? Is it oxfam in London (oxford Street?) who have a big second hand wedding dress store? They've all been cleaned and lots are ex samples so never actually worn.

I agree, it is mental. Unfortunately dresses, like all things with the word 'wedding' attached, have just gone barmy in the last twenty years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now