Talk

Advanced search

to want to throw the hamster ball at her

(17 Posts)
crazylady12 Wed 21-Jan-15 14:59:28

Weird one just posted a picture of my daughter and the hamster in its ball some stupid woman stArted saying am cruel shouldn't own a hamster blah blah blah hamster balls are bad so are they :s he loves it ball he also gets time out on the couch

MrsWolowitz Wed 21-Jan-15 15:02:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsWolowitz Wed 21-Jan-15 15:02:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

angelos02 Wed 21-Jan-15 15:04:16

Do you not keep it locked in a cage most of the time?

crazylady12 Wed 21-Jan-15 15:04:45

Ha I thought they like it to funny thing to get shouted at for :s

crazylady12 Wed 21-Jan-15 15:06:21

Yep witch is worse he gets out 2 hours a night I think he has a pretty good life for a caged animal

RandomNPC Wed 21-Jan-15 15:25:28

I think my hamster likes his ball, he only goes in it when he's being cleaned out though. I think I read somewhere that they are only supposed to be in it for half an hour at a time?

FightOrFlight Wed 21-Jan-15 15:36:10

YABU

No hamster should be in a boring old ball.

They should be in one of these:

media.fbxcdn.com/pic/p2204_column_grid_12.jpg

SquinkiesRule Wed 21-Jan-15 15:51:09

LOL I love that little hamster car.
Our Hamster is a vicious little monster. He was fine at first and he also loved his ball and had the run of the downstairs in it.
Now he's a full grown adult hamster he bites and growls if anyone dares open his cage. So poor Dh the brave man is left to clean and feed him, we just talk t him through the bars. Dh got him a huge multi level cage he said he needed the room now he doesn't run all over in his ball.

wyamc Wed 21-Jan-15 15:53:08

Our hamster loved her ball. It was a good way for her to explore without being trodden on.

ChameleonCircuit Wed 21-Jan-15 16:05:25

I had a hamster years ago. She adored being in her ball, she used to play with the dogs whilst in it.

maz210 Wed 21-Jan-15 16:18:01

Please don't think I'm another crazy hamster lady as I'm really not - but just wanted to add my own warning.

The exercise balls are a brilliant idea and many of my gerbils loved them - however I stopped using them after one gerbil jumped inside the ball and tipped it out of my hands just as I was putting it down. The ball only dropped about six inches to the floor (so maybe the depth of one step) but the gerbil unfortunately must have landed badly, he broke his neck and died shortly after.

When I've warned other hamster/gerbil owners of this I also encountered someone whose hamster died when the ball was accidentally kicked and hit a wall.

However I think they're fine to use providing everyone is very aware of where the ball is and obviously don't ever use it upstairs.

Crazy hamster lady is probably just one of those people who doesn't like the thought of pets full stop, regardless of how loved and well exercised they are.

WyrdByrd Wed 21-Jan-15 19:25:27

I'm not a fan of hamster balls after my friend's hamster got his paw trapped in one of the air holes...it wasn't pretty.

Wouldn't be inclined to get that worked up about it though, and plenty of people seem to use them without probs so...

strawberrypenguin Wed 21-Jan-15 19:30:27

Our hamster loves her ball and she's a bit bitey so only likes to be handled for a few minutes a time. The ball is great as she gets a good run around without all the being touched that seems to stress her out a bit

Angel1983 Wed 21-Jan-15 19:33:15

When I had hamsters they used to voluntarily clamber into their balls so I wouldn't worry too much about this. I figured if they didn't like their balls they wouldn't be keen to climb in - mine couldn't wait!

londonrach Wed 21-Jan-15 19:34:29

Not a fan. When i was going a cage as a xmas pressie by a vet friend as a child she made me promise not to get a hamster ball as she had so any with injuries in and theres no way of knowing if hamster didnt want to be it any more.

crazylady12 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:33:07

I can see how an accident could happen but I got my first hamster when I was one and alwats had at least 2 and have never had a problem had more horrible accidents with legs stuck in bars of cages : ( I only use the ball for 20 mins a night suppose everyone has different thought: )but to be shouted at by a stranger was bizarre ha

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: