Talk

Advanced search

To not want to pay for hours the nursery is closed ?

(19 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 10:22:57

Ds just started nursery two weeks ago . I pay from 8.30-12.30 but he's been going in about 9 while he's settling in . Today I needed to start him on his actual times , but the nursery didn't open their doors til 8.45 .

Wibu to ask to change his start time from 8.30 to 9am ? It will mean a bit of juggling in the morning but I'm not happy at paying for 15 mins before the opening time .

TeenAndTween Wed 21-Jan-15 10:32:41

You would be unreasonable to do this before identifying if this was a one off late opening due to emergency, or standard hours.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 21-Jan-15 10:43:02

Our nursery has an am session and a pm session. You pay the same if you drop off at 7.30am or 11am as it's the morning session.

Did you tell them / remind you'd be coming in at 8.30 from today onwards?

2minsofyourtime Wed 21-Jan-15 10:52:20

Dos you ask them why they weren't open on time?

rookiemere Wed 21-Jan-15 10:53:22

YANBU - if you are paying for a service i.e. nursery from 8.30, then you expect the service to be available from that time.
I'd check that they are open from 8.30am going forward before you change your working hours.

AngelDreams Wed 21-Jan-15 10:55:26

do they open at 8.30 or 8.45?

if they are meant to open at 8.30, i would ask them why they werent open?

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 11:05:03

They are meant to open at 8.30 . I had originally asked for an 8am start but they said they can't take them in until 8.30 so I agreed to 8.30 .

It wasn't me that dropped him off it was my sister I don't know if she asked them why they weren't open . They did let them in and keep that at reception though so at least they didn't leave them out in the snow .

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 21-Jan-15 11:07:08

That's an awfully late open for a nursery.

Theas18 Wed 21-Jan-15 11:12:09

Uh?

It snowed. They were 15mins late opening ( but you were allowed in the reception area).

Sounds like a one off due to the weather - I assume staff had difficulty getting in or something. Cut them some slack and ask why the were late and that you will be able to drop at 8.30 on future.

(BTW I understand if the weather is bad " you allow longer for your journey" but I'm not sure how you accommodate this in the morning if it wasn't snowy the night before- none of us are getting up 30mins earlier " just in case" are we?)

Only1scoop Wed 21-Jan-15 11:15:27

Sounds like a one off. Speak to them.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 11:17:16

It was snowy the night before and the roads were fine no distributions at all . Obviously if it's a one off that's fine these things happen , I'm just worried that This will happen regularly and I'll be paying for hours that they can't accommodate .

Only1scoop Wed 21-Jan-15 11:19:41

Do you just pay for the hours ds does? So it's not a morning of afternoon etc?

Surely they're were other people waiting to go in?

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 11:23:59

Yeah only they charge hourly . So I pay for 4 hours a day .

I don't know as I said my sister took him this morning but by the sounds of things I think ds might be going to be first in in the morning. So it may just have been them waiting to go in I'm not sure I'll need to find out .

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 21-Jan-15 11:28:55

Sounds a strange set up.

nurseries usually open around 7.30 do people can drop off before work. sessions are usually morning and afternoon so yku pay for the whole session whether you attend all of it or not.

I'd not be happy with your ds being the only one there tbh either. given if there were meant to be taking from half eight and people are going to work for 9, where is every one???

I'd give it another chance obviously and speak to them to find out what happened. but all sees a bit weird.

how old is your ds? pre school age or baby/toddler

whippy33 Wed 21-Jan-15 11:29:35

It may not be snowy on the roads but staff don't necessarily live locally. I work ten miles away from my setting and there is no snow at my house. Yet 5 miles into my journey this morning I was forced to turn back because I got a message saying we were closed and the weather was too severe. Pictures posted online show the snowfall there. It is remarkable in the difference.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 11:31:10

I know whippy I'm the same I go to uni 15 miles from where I live and there's not one bit of snow here ! grin Driving in this morning my car stuck out like a sore thumb covered in snow grin

LittleBairn Wed 21-Jan-15 12:22:29

If they charge parents for being late then I would insist they deduct the 15 minutes from your bill. It should go both ways.

skylark2 Wed 21-Jan-15 12:26:36

I think it would be a bit daft to rearrange your systems because of one time that the nursery opened 15 minutes late.

If it happens again, I would tell the nursery that you need to know what time they can open reliably so you can use that as your start time.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 21-Jan-15 20:30:02

I've realised I should have said in my op if the regular opening time is 8.45 wibu to change ds start time .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: