Advanced search

to ask for your help about dd 6wo straining and groaning after 3am feed?

(12 Posts)
Soleurmange Tue 20-Jan-15 22:04:41

Sorry I'm desperate, not getting any sleep past 3amost nights! She feeds I burp her, I then hold her upright after the feed and then when I put her back down the straining and groaning begins- it's awful to hear, she's clearly uncomfortable but still asleep, and I can't sleep. I'm giving her gripe water, bicycling her legs, giving her tummy which is very hard a massage - tiny little bits of wind pass and she carries on groaning. Foes anyone have any ideas or if it's just a developmental phase how long does it last?! Tia

AllBoxedUp Tue 20-Jan-15 22:09:29

Could be silent reflux? If you search on here you'll find lots of info or post of the breastfeeding and formula feeding section. My DS was very similar and he was prescribed infant gaviscon which worked for him. I know for others this doesn't do much though and they needed stronger medicine. If she's not waking up though it might be worth just getting some ear plugs!

heather1 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:09:32

I would guess that if she is asleep then she is ok. If she was in pain she would wake up for sure. It can't be nice to hear for you but unless your baby's is really ill a non crying baby is a happy baby.

Soleurmange Tue 20-Jan-15 22:36:54

Thanks for replies- she seems ok most of the time so I'm not sure if it is silent reflux

wowfudge Tue 20-Jan-15 22:57:07

DN was like this with CMPA but he had other symptoms as well, like eczema.

Homepride1 Tue 20-Jan-15 23:04:57

Does she poo regularly? Reason I ask is because my dd now 4 months used to strain and make such a fuss with her poos until she was about 10 weeks old, honestly you have never heard/seen anything like it shock

I was finding that this used to happen during the night to so found giving a a bit if time with nap it off in the evening and just wiping over her bottom with warm water and cotton wool soon got her started and she would have a good clear out which then in turn cured the straining in the night! My dd only used to go once a day usually around the same time everyday! And like u said it only lasted a few weeks and have no issues now she just goes when she goes..... Though she does still pull the strangest faces grin

dottytablecloth Tue 20-Jan-15 23:12:33

My dd is exactly 6 weeks and she groans and grunts in her sleep too.

Newborns can be very noisy!

fatpony Wed 21-Jan-15 04:46:47

Mine did this! I even videod it to show the HV! It eventually stopped. They are not in pain apparently just working out how their digestive system works. One explanation I heard is they are pushing (for a poo) but at the same time clenching their bum shut. Mine is 15w and sleeps very quietly now. Get sone earplugs!

Beautifulbabyboy Wed 21-Jan-15 08:03:15

Ahhhh I had this with my first - it is awful. We went to the doctors he switched him to neocate milk and he stopped doing it overnight. you can try that or if you are breastfeeding you can try cutting dairy and wheat out your diet and seeing if there is a difference. flowers

Hamiltoes Wed 21-Jan-15 08:53:33

My second baby is 2.5 months now and she still does this. Its never really crossed my mind to be honest. I always imagine myself after eating a huge meal, sitting on the sofa like a potato and think if I wasn't quite used to that feeling yet i'd probably be groaning a bit too. She still gets a schocked look on her face when she sneezes. I put it down to her just getting used to how her body works. If shes not crying, and shes brought up her big after feed burp, then I stay well away! I'm sure your DD is fine.

Soleurmange Thu 22-Jan-15 18:55:17

thanks all! absolutely horrendous last night. going to try coleif tonight for the first time. hoping its not an allergy and also a bit useless at diets so if this doesnt work ill start cutting dairy/ wheat.... thanks again

Soleurmange Wed 28-Jan-15 20:48:27

Colief works! what a relief. total peace and quiet every night now. phew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now