Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - builders' dust

(10 Posts)
Givemecoffeeplease Tue 20-Jan-15 17:48:00

I think I know I am... But...

Builders are in finishing some work in the house and garden. Dust everywhere. I just want to clean it up but I know the same thing will happen every day til they finish on Friday. Aibu to feel this way? I feel on edge and out of control with this mess and I want to spend the evening polishing and dusting but that's crazy, right, like pushing a rock up a hill (Sisyphus?!). Sigh I wish I could be chilled out about this stuff....

Perhaps IABU not to have any wine in the house for once...

jackstini Tue 20-Jan-15 17:51:25

You know there is no point!
Can you plan some meals at friends/family in the next couple of days so you are out the house then just clean up at the weekend?
You are so close now...

ajandjjmum Tue 20-Jan-15 17:53:28

The problem is dust carries on settling over a number of days. We sometimes leave a site spotless, but there is a layer of dust on everything when we return.

Irritating for all!

HarlotOTara Tue 20-Jan-15 18:00:32

Giveme, you have my sympathy I felt the same way when I had major work done to my house last year. The builders were great and cleaned up each day but the dust was inescapable. I did used to dust the main areas each evening. It made me feel better and I could relax, very Sysiphean (if there is such a word), but it helped. Mine went in for much longer with knocked down walls, new ceilings however. Hopefully not long for you

YoniMitchell Tue 20-Jan-15 18:02:36

Builders are about to start on a load of work at our house and I'm dreading it, so YANBU IMO because I know how you feel!

YABU to not have any wine though.

ChocLover2015 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:04:59

The dust will take weeks to settle completely and then you will keep finding bits you have missed for months (or is that just my slack housekeeping? smile

Givemecoffeeplease Tue 20-Jan-15 18:20:40

Oh GAWD I need to chill out, buy wine and repeat "it's just a phase" like with the baby days. And maybe save up for a deep clean so I get all the corners done ��.

I sometimes wish I didn't notice this stuff. I spot every little detail and it's so annoying.... any cures?

flora717 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:37:41

I've worked in offices on various building sites.YANBU it is pernicious stuff and it is really galling to clean surfaces again and again and again.
The end is in sight. Get some wine in.
No cure to suggest, other than delighting in planning for or dreaming of the finished job all clean with your feet up. You will get there!

Givemecoffeeplease Tue 20-Jan-15 18:42:28

Thanks Flora and all others. Will dream. And drink...

BMW6 Tue 20-Jan-15 19:49:15

flowers This time last year we had builders demolishing part of an extention and its roof, then rebuilding and re-roofing. They started work the day before Xmas Eve and finished in March......during all the terrible storms

Oh and there is no access to our garden except through the house - long hall and then kitchen (galley type........)

I swept up as much as I could at the end of each day. FFS I even mopped the plastic sheeting that went all through the hall and kitchen to the back....still dust everywhere. Even in the beds, upstairs, somehow confused

BUT it does come to an end. When they have totally finished you will still be wiping and hoovering dust for a couple of weeks, then all back to normal.

Keep repeating to yourself "This too shall pass" wine

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: