Advanced search

to think that sleb mags are justs as bad as page three

(16 Posts)
fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:06:48

but it is mainly women who buy them.

I signed the page three petition and am happy it's gone.

BUT why do women buy those sleb mags that only focus on appearance etc. Surely if we all stopped buying them (and I believe it's mainly women that do) we'd have made much more impact to the objectification of women.

Could someone start a magazine that embraces successful women who have actually done something worthwhile? If we saw those at all the counters because we were all buying them it would start to redress the balance.

SoupDragon Tue 20-Jan-15 12:08:00

They aren't as bad because they aren't showing women with naked breasts purely for the titillation of men.

Which isn't to say they aren't crap!

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:10:58

I am not saying they are the same but they have equal contribution to the culture that says women must look a certain way and have tons of bikini shots either 'celebrating' or degrading the particular womens body.

Surely the point about women needing to look a ceratin way is for the titilation of men.

PresidentTwonk Tue 20-Jan-15 12:13:05

I agree, I've stopped buying them smile

NeedABumChange Tue 20-Jan-15 12:13:51

I actually think they're worse. They encourage judging of other women's bodies. I hate all the "cellulite shocker" type stories with photos of perfectly healthy women caught in bad angles/lighting. The constant speculation of if people have had surgery or if they need it etc.

They have a far greater impact on young girls than page three ever did, though I am glad it's gone.

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:19:41

Everytime I go to the hairdressers they offer me a handful of the mags, why? What is wrong with offering a decent newspaper to women in hairdressers?

HolyTerror Tue 20-Jan-15 12:25:12

They're differently damaging. Page 3 showed how a mass-market national newspaper with a huge readership of both sexes felt that it was entirely acceptable to print titillating photos of semi-naked women on a page most papers use for big news stories, thereby letting its opinion of its female readership and on women's (decorative, highly-sexualised, passive) place in society show. (Incidentally, I think Page Three's pervasive influence really shows in recent debates about breastfeeding. If your personal image of breasts is Saucy Susan's 36GG and perky nipples pointing at you daily on your tea break, then of course you think breasts are sexual, and not a way of feeding babies.)

Those magazines that focus on celebrity cellulite are essentially making money out of peddling photos that encourage women's self-policing of their bodies according to a particular slim, epilated aesthetic.

windchime Tue 20-Jan-15 12:26:37

I love looking at photos of beautiful people, so I will buy my mags and enjoy them. And I love love love the cellulite photos grin

SaucyMare Tue 20-Jan-15 12:27:19

our nanny brough one into the house one day.
I very purposefully handed it to her as she left saying "i don't want this in my house"

as they are just the foulest of items in the world. A whole magazine of judging women on their looks.

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:30:54

But part of the page three campaign was the about the imagery normalising women's place in scoiety. Women are to be looked at whether that may be for titilation or told what is wrong with them.

Additionally part of the campaign was comparing the different ways in which women and men are portrayed through the media.

By buying those heat type magazines women are actually adding to the problem.

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:31:50

Well done.

Nancy66 Tue 20-Jan-15 12:33:22

If people were having guns held to their heads as they were frogmarched to WH Smith to buy Heat and Closer then you might have a point.

People have freewill. Some like trashy mags and X Factor. others like opera and documentaries on 16th century architecture.

horses. courses.

SoupDragon Tue 20-Jan-15 12:34:28

Don't all magazines like Grazi and Cosmo etc judge women by their looks though? The Sleb magazines are, perhaps, simply more open about it.

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:34:37

Why don't you people watch beautiful people in real life rather than looking a photoshopped images.
Why do you like to look at people who are being degraded and ridiculed for having cellulite?

fanjotastic Tue 20-Jan-15 12:39:16

Soupdragon I would most definitely put Grazia etc in the same bracket.

Nancy66 The very fact that no-one is forced to buy these magazines is precisely my point. Why do women fund companies that enforce these negative views of women in society?

A group of women have campaigned to get bare breasts from page three and I suspect a cross over of those campaigning also buy magazines that flood society with the idea that women can be ridiculed for looking a certain way. Also that it is most important what they look like as opposed to what they achieve.

U2TheEdge Tue 20-Jan-15 13:05:27

I agree which is why I don'y buy them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now