Advanced search

to think putting salt on your food before you taste it is rude?

(400 Posts)
KirjavaTheCat Tue 20-Jan-15 09:51:13

FIL comes to stay every couple of months and this is a habit of his. I cook, I place the meal in front of everyone at the table and before we've all picked up our knives and forks he's shaking salt onto his food.

He hasn't tasted it, he doesn't know if the seasoning is to his taste or not, he just goes ahead and does it.

On Saturday I made everyone cheese and pepperoni omelettes for breakfast. As he went to pick up the salt I stopped him and said, 'you should try it first, pepperoni tends to be quite salty' so he tried it, and lo and behold he didn't want any.

He's wasted food before, declaring he couldn't eat anymore because it was a bit salty. After he'd shaken a load on before tasting it angry

AIBU to find this really rude?

DistressedAndAlarmed Tue 20-Jan-15 09:52:47

I don't know about rude but it's definitely stupid. YANBU to be annoyed.

ineedtogetthisout Tue 20-Jan-15 09:53:00

It probably is rude, but I do this too blush

EatShitDerek Tue 20-Jan-15 09:53:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GraysAnalogy Tue 20-Jan-15 09:53:34

it really annoys me how people like to dictate what I do with my own meal. I like the taste of salt, food is never salty enough for me so I always will put more on.

People act like it's offensive to them, it's nothing to do with your cooking just personal preference when it comes to seasonings.

WhatKatyDidnt Tue 20-Jan-15 09:53:46

The clue is in your first sentence. It's just a habit. He's unlikely to change now. Let it be.

JoanHickson Tue 20-Jan-15 09:54:20

It's foolish. Clearly he has a limited palate and likes the taste of salt. Leave him to it he will end up in an early grave unless he has low BP and thinks it's worth it.

WowOoo Tue 20-Jan-15 09:54:22

I don't think it's rude. It's a habit.

PfftTheMagicDraco Tue 20-Jan-15 09:54:51

I can't believe you stopped an adult from putting salt on their food. How rude!

TheLastThneed Tue 20-Jan-15 09:54:57

YANBU. It is very rude.

loudarts Tue 20-Jan-15 09:55:09

Dh does this everyday and the dc copy him angry its very annoying. He covered mine in salt the other day thinking it was one of the dcs plates and it was so salty it was inedible

MaidOfStars Tue 20-Jan-15 09:55:10

Hmm, I think it's more stupid than rude - why would you risk ruining your food?

And consider the alternative - he tastes then adds salt. Isn't that a more direct insult to your cooking? smile At least this way, he can claim ignorance.

GoringBit Tue 20-Jan-15 09:55:19

YANBU, but it seems to be quite a common thing. I think it's maybe a generational thing, my parents would often season before tasting. I picked the habit up, from them, I suppose, but now always taste before seasoning.

LeapingOverTheWall Tue 20-Jan-15 09:55:29

DD2 does this, but she needs industrial quantities of salt due to a medical condition, so unless you can actually see salt crystals glistening on the food, she knows there won't be enough salt grin.

For anyone else though, it's rude.

invisiblecrown Tue 20-Jan-15 09:56:47

FFS, its not rude. I like salty eggs, so I put salt on them.

KirjavaTheCat Tue 20-Jan-15 09:57:12

I can understand on things like chips, chips are revolting without salt. You definitely need to pre-empt the blandness.

But what do you do if the food turns out to have been perfectly seasoned for you and you've made it too salty?

EatShitDerek Tue 20-Jan-15 09:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KirjavaTheCat Tue 20-Jan-15 09:58:18

I didn't grab it out of his hand grin

Just spoke up before he did it.

JoanHickson Tue 20-Jan-15 09:58:24

That's why it's foolish rather than rude, they eat a too salty meal or go hungry.

CatsClaus Tue 20-Jan-15 09:58:56

my mother does this with pepper

last time she stayed her soup looked like she had scraped burnt toast over it....only it was quite a hot pepper on a spicy soup. She spent all afternoon blowing her nose. I laughed to myself.

it's rude to season without tasting first.

Britbird Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:12

YANBU. PIL do this with every meal I give them. TBF I don't really like salt so I never add any when cooking but often use stock in dishes which is very salty. I've noticed they do it with their own food too where salt has already been added during cooking so I think it's habit and everything without it must taste very bland to them. It's not healthy though.

wishmiplass Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:16

I don't think YABU, but I must admit I do the same when it's food I haven't cooked myself.

I'm an extra salter.

I also salt rice and pasta as a matter of course, regardless of whether or not the sauce needs seasoning.

I'm very particular about my salting habits.

kaykayred Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:34

Why do you take such offensive over something so ridiculously petty?

Adding salt is just habit. It's not a healthy habit, but I'd be pretty annoyed if someone was dictating how I seasoned my meal.

KirjavaTheCat Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:55

Salt's there for you if the seasoning's not to your taste, I wouldn't be annoyed if someone added salt after tasting it.

WorraLiberty Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:56

No it's not rude.

Some people like salt on food, which is different to salt that's been added during cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now