Advanced search

Kamikaze Facebookers - yes PIL - I'm talking to you!

(18 Posts)
Moominmarvellous Mon 19-Jan-15 23:57:37

Another day, another dodgy comment from FIL about a (very generic) photo of me on FB - which I think is meant to be kind but actually comes across as quite creepy!

Both my in laws have a tendency to wade in on conversations I'm having with friends (often those they've never met) and to me it's obvious they've had a few gins but to others........oh it all gets very confusing.

I also have a friend who asks me awkward questions under photos or statuses which aren't actually necessary - last week she asked 'Do you actually like the parents at your kids school or do you just see them because you have to?' under a public status about a night out that wasn't even mine - I was just tagged in!

Theboodythatrocked Tue 20-Jan-15 00:02:06

It's not in your gift to control what anyone else posts.

Just see yours are ok and normal and stop worrying.

Fb is mad anyway grin

binspin Tue 20-Jan-15 00:04:10

I have a parent like this. I usually ignore and they look silly but occasionally I'll point out that everyone can see how rude they're being.

Discopanda Tue 20-Jan-15 00:09:07

Just delete the comments

Moominmarvellous Tue 20-Jan-15 00:09:27

With the friend I acknowledged that the question was an awkward one!

But FIL is one of those where he will respond to everything anyone says in a bid to 'out wit' them. Now I think of it, he's exactly the same in real life!

RandomNPC Tue 20-Jan-15 00:41:31

I follow a strict No Family On Facebook policy.

NynaevesSister Tue 20-Jan-15 03:09:11

Google Facebook lists and spend a little time setting this up. Short term pain but the long term gain is sooooo worth it.

NynaevesSister Tue 20-Jan-15 03:12:29

Try this

binspin Tue 20-Jan-15 07:22:00

Can people see that you've put them in a list? Eg, wankers corner list?

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 20-Jan-15 07:42:26

Why are you making everything you post visible to every one of your Facebook friends? Put these people in a list (e.g. Acquaintances) then when you post, set the privacy setting of the post to Custom: Friends except Acquaintances. You only have to do this once, then it will become the default setting and will happen automatically for every post, until you change it again.

2/3 of my Facebook friends are in my Acquaintances list, and 9/10 of my posts aren't visible to them.

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 20-Jan-15 07:43:15

Can people see that you've put them in a list?

PixieofCatan Tue 20-Jan-15 08:02:55

I have an aunt who comments on and likes everything on a list of her own grin She drives me mad. A cousin I've never met almost ended up on the list but she stopped using FB. Waking up to ten new likes, three "inspirational messages" posted to my wall and a variety of comments on really random photos from years ago saying things like "I love you!" "You are sweet." "I love my family." every day was getting a bit weird.

soverylucky Tue 20-Jan-15 08:04:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

binspin Tue 20-Jan-15 08:05:14

Thankyou first.

ScathingContempt Tue 20-Jan-15 09:22:28

Lists are unseen to others. I use a 'not kids' one to post things I don't want my children seeing. I have a 'not work' one too but rarely need to use it.

Lists are great, but beware of filtering your fil out of everything otherwise he'll smell a rat if you go from regular posts to none.

You can also set it so photos you're tagged in don't show until you approve them, and I think you can release them to only a list then too.

SaucyJack Tue 20-Jan-15 09:24:37

I'm unable to give an honest answer to this one without being accused of ageism.

Moominmarvellous Tue 20-Jan-15 12:05:56

I had to word the OP quite carefully for the same reason SaucyJack!

I will get organised as suggested - it's all the time now - FIL got an iPad for Christmas so he's really embracing the world of social media confused

I especially like the 'not kids' group as I've aquired a couple of friends children lately - sweet kids, I don't want to be responsible for that changing!

Yes to the 'inspirational messages' as well Pixie. FIL has also taken to posting Jerry Springer 'final thought' style statuses on the latest big news stories......

lylasmam2012 Tue 20-Jan-15 13:01:36

I had to delete a comment my mam made on my status about the sexual assault in the CBB house. My mam went to town on the poor girl, I was mortified and deleted her comment straight away hoping nobody saw it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now