Talk

Advanced search

to think people should take responsibility for their own stupidity?

(87 Posts)
Blackout234 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:09:03

2 cards were hand delivered at my house about an hour or so ago, with "Jane smith" (Fake name) on both. we live at number 57 street, this was addressed to 57 way, an honest mistake.
the street it was supposed to go to was on my way to the shop anyway so i decided to go there and ask for a jane smith (to make sure i had the right place) and then hand them over, i went to the house and knocked and got no answer so went to the shop and on my way home knocked again still no answer, i took a chance and posted the cards and went home... to find that a man had come looking for the cards and spoken to my younger sister who explained that i had gone out to deliver them, he left a number for me to call, i called him when i got home and was told rather rudely that if the cards didnt go to the right place i would cough up 40 quid as there was 20 quid in each card, AIBU to think people should take responsibility for their own stupidity? I did what I thought was the right thing as there was no return address, no stamp (so obviously hand delivered), AIBU if i refuse to cough up the money if the cards never arrive?

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 19-Jan-15 21:10:55

SCAM!!!! Definitely. Don't give any money and if they insist; 101.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Mon 19-Jan-15 21:11:36

No you're not! Cheeky beggar.

yellowdinosauragain Mon 19-Jan-15 21:11:39

Tell him to fuck off, rude ungrateful twat angry

flora717 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:12:12

It sounds like a scam to me as well.

AwfulBeryl Mon 19-Jan-15 21:12:41

shock bloody hell rather scammish to me.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 19-Jan-15 21:13:10

You're right

Take responsibility for your own stupidity at engaging with this bollocks and tell him to do one wink

AlpacaMyBags Mon 19-Jan-15 21:14:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

avocadogreen Mon 19-Jan-15 21:14:06

surely just tell him the address of the house you delivered them to (which was after all the right address!) and he can go and knock on their door!? Sounds a bit fishy to me...

laughingmyarseoff Mon 19-Jan-15 21:14:51

YANBU, he'll probably try it on. He delivered to the wrong place, luckily for him it's gone to the address he wrote on the front. It could have gone in the bin or who knows where.

Refuse, tell him he's lucky you were nice enough to deliver and if he was so stupid he wrote the wrong address as he delivered to then it's his problem. And you don't believe what he says about the money, you think he's trying it on.

Blackout234 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:16:04

I'm being threatened with police now O.o anything I can do? I think it is a scam as for 40 quid this seems way too over the top.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 19-Jan-15 21:17:00

Don't be daft!

Tell him to call the police

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 19-Jan-15 21:18:31

Police are going to love that one. Evil criminal delivers post to right address. Scandal.

He is trying rudeness, then vague threats. This would work on enough people to pay. SCAM!!!

PhaedraIsMyName Mon 19-Jan-15 21:18:34

Call the police yourself. This is a scam.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 19-Jan-15 21:18:51

Firstly anyone stupid enough to post money through your door has lost it

Secondly, the police will tell him to leave you alone and stop harassing you

Maybe you should call them

And don't text him or answer the phone and definitely call the police if he keeps up this shite

Passmethecrisps Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:10

I am scandalised on your behalf.

I would be inclined to run this past 101 anyway as you have two possibilities really

1) cards were delivered by a useless arse who is too stupid to understand that this is his mistake and you were helping. Thus the kind of person who I wouldn't want near me for fear they demand money with menaces

2) this is a scam intending to make you fearful of scenario 1.

Call them up and leave the description from your sister and his mobile number.

Fingers crossed he is nothing more than a thankless tosser

pudseypie Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:11

Let him call the police it'll save you the cost of the phone call to report him.... sounds like a scam and he's trying to scare you. I'd definitely make contact with the police.

PervyMuskrat Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:15

Call the police yourself and tell them someone is demanding money with menaces (or whatever the proper legal term is)

expatinscotland Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:37

Scam! Ring 101.

PervyMuskrat Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:49

X post x a lot!

PhaedraIsMyName Mon 19-Jan-15 21:20:19

Seriously if he is threatening you , call the police. If your phone has a blocking facility, block his number.

sandgrown Mon 19-Jan-15 21:20:48

Call his bluff tell him to call the police.

Blackout234 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:21:26

I'm worried now as if its a scam the other party could well deny it turning up, If police became involved what would they do? Im really worried as due to DV i've already had enough police involvement if i see another police officer within the next week i think i'll crack

yellowdinosauragain Mon 19-Jan-15 21:22:10

Definitely call the police

Passmethecrisps Mon 19-Jan-15 21:22:14

Cross posted with yours about being threatened by the police shock . Tell him to fire on and call them. I would love to see their reaction

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: