Talk

Advanced search

To call 101?

(15 Posts)
FatherReboolaConundrum Mon 19-Jan-15 17:55:31

We live on a longish road that's a mix of family houses and mostly student-occupied shared houses. I know our immediate neighbours and a few others, but don't know most of the people on the street. I noticed a couple of days ago that house a little way down from us still has its Christmas tree up, then I looked more closely because I'm nosey and saw that all the decorations were still up including Christmas stockings pinned up on the fireplace. There's no sign of anyone there - no lights on, downstairs curtains never seem to be closed and upstairs curtains never seem to be open.

I'm assuming that it's lived in by a family with children since there were 4 stockings hung up, and it can't be students because they'd be back by now (and I doubt they'd have put up all the decorations in the first place).

DP thinks they're just on a very long holiday, which they probably are, but part of me is worried that something's wrong. I don't know the people who live there so don't feel I can go and knock - the thought of trying not to say 'sorry, I was worried you were all dead' if they answer the door is too embarrassing. So wibu to call 101 or am I worrying about nothing?

WorraLiberty Mon 19-Jan-15 17:58:10

Of course you should dial 101

It's no big deal for them. They'll make some door to door enquiries with the neighbours.

Brandysnapper Mon 19-Jan-15 17:59:10

I think it's nice of you to care. I've had a neighbour die in his flat, so am a bit biased, but I wouldn't want to do nothing.
Can you think of any excuse for knocking, misdelivered (fake) mail for example? Then if still no sign of life you've something more to tell the police.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Mon 19-Jan-15 17:59:20

Ask their next door neighbours if they know first?

BuzzardBird Mon 19-Jan-15 18:02:46

I would call after trying to knock on door first. They have probably gone skiing or something because if the children were off school this long without notification the Police would be aware by now?

FatherReboolaConundrum Mon 19-Jan-15 18:08:35

Neighbours either side are students I think Fluffy so were away over Christmas and probably don't know them. I might try to woman-up and ask them anyway.

I did call the police once years ago when a couple of elderly Polish sisters who lived next door vanished over Christmas, with their washing still out on the line. It turned out they'd simply moved back to Poland, which was a relief, and the house was taken over by their nephews (which was less of a relief when they drunkenly almost burnt the house down and kept me awake playing Jean-Michel Jarre at eardrum-bursting volume until 3am several times a week) . One of my friends gave me a massive bollocking for reporting their absence because they might have been illegal immigrants (this was before Poland joined the EU) and I might have got them in trouble. So that false alarm may be making me think I'd be fussing about nothing this time.

Deedeecupcake Mon 19-Jan-15 18:12:34

Are you sure they're not students? I know when I was one we definitely decorated our house to the max. They might not be back til next week as well....

SacredHeart Mon 19-Jan-15 18:17:01

Worth a call but some countries (Poland for one) traditionally have decorations up for the whole Christmas period which is until early February - my Babcia does this, bless her.

The local community protection officer will just pop by, probably.

Pipbin Mon 19-Jan-15 18:17:15

It can't really do any harm to call. It'll put your mind at rest and at worst the neighbours will answer the door and realise that someone has noticed their decorations.

SoonToBeMrsB Mon 19-Jan-15 18:20:35

I work in a university and semester doesn't start until next Monday so they might not be back yet if they're students. Though it would be odd that not one of them had returned.

Give them a call just to be sure.

FatherReboolaConundrum Mon 19-Jan-15 18:22:45

I'm pretty sure they're not students Dee - all the students round here started term at least a week ago. Sacred, I hadn't thought of that, but the fact the lights are never on makes me think no-one's there.

Thanks everyone, I'll go and have one more check to see if it looks inhabited and if not I'll give 101 a call.

Royalsighness Mon 19-Jan-15 18:28:51

You are lovely!

Maybe invent a cat and ask them if they have seen it? Or a dog? Good reason to knock the door. You could say you are cat sitting or dog sitting for a friend and it's got out.

If that fails call 101 because it does sound shady. Don't just knock and ask if they are ok because you sound lovely but they might be calling 101 on you thinking you have gone silly!

IAmAllImportant Mon 19-Jan-15 18:41:43

No need to invent missing animals, surely. Just ask the neighbours who might know or call 101. Thinking some harm may have come to the people who live there is reason enough.

TidyDancer Mon 19-Jan-15 18:47:50

Yes I think I would call 101. You are a good neighbour OP.

BMW6 Mon 19-Jan-15 18:53:33

My Polish NDN still have their xmas decs up too - but I have seen them coming and going every day, so do call 101.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: