Talk

Advanced search

To ask what foods will give me more energy.

(13 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Mon 19-Jan-15 17:30:23

I'm exhausted. Every day I wake up and feel like I've run a marathon. I have a 19mo DD who isn't the best sleeper, but most night I do get 8 (broken) hours. I can't hardly function and I'd love to run around with DD and play with her and enjoy her but I'm ashamed to say she spends a lot of time watching DVDs because I just do not have the energy.

There's a few issues that I know contribute to this (including a useless DH who does NOTHING) that I'm tackling - so I have told DH he has to help out more and give me breaks etc and do more round the house (he has agreed to this and hopefully will stick to it) and I've made a doctors appointment to see if it's medical. But DH thinks it's cos I have a crap diet (I do - lots of chocolate and fatty foods and sugary drinks) which contributes to the way I feel.

So wise ones of MN what superfoods can I eat to give me more energy? I've had no sugary snacks today, just fruit and do feel better than usual so I'm convinced it will help

WeirdCatLady Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:55

If this has been going on for a while I would suggest going to your gp for some blood tests just to rule anything medical out.

Apart from that, lots of water, cut down on alcohol and caffeine. Try to avoid processed foods, lots of fruit and veg. Nuts are good, oily fish too.

LadyLuck10 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:33:04

I make this smoothie almost every morning and I feel this immediate source of energy that keeps me going for a while:
Spinach, celery, blue berries, brocolli, apple, flaxseed.

Leeds2 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:33:40

Bananas are usually recommended.

Mammanat222 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:38:17

Low GI - Google it! When I am in healthy mode this is the route I go down.

I do sympathise, I spent my ML [and the year after] living on a diet of sugar / fatty foods plus the occasional bottle of wine or 2 every week as I felt I needed a reward for being "mummy" and then being back at work and being mummy.

My issues were mainly down to my own choices though as my OH is not and has never been useless he is very hands on with DS

For me it was a vicious circle as I'd eat crap because I was tired and needed an energy hit, then I'd have a bad night with DS or a particularly challenging day and decide to open a bottle of wine and end up staying up later than intended and be tired the next day so it would start again.

I am currently due DC2 and I intend not to do what I did last time, as soon as I am able it's down the healthy path for me.

Also just to caveat, do not underestimate how having a useless partner can make you feel like shit and comfort eating is a common reaction.

BadgerFace Mon 19-Jan-15 17:42:10

Healthy oat bars are good for energy as are nuts. If you want something sweet then there are some good banana bread recipes with minimal sugar and wholemeal flour.

It's worth getting a blood test with your GP as well in case low iron levels or some other issue is contributing to the tiredness.

judydoes Mon 19-Jan-15 18:06:01

If you have a blender, stick a can of pineapple, some orange juice and some frozen berries in it and whiz for about a minute.

I've just started having these and think they give me a real boost!

Nuts yes!

I don't eat meat or dairy. I was concerned about B12 levels but I've had the test and they're fine, despite this I did buy some B12 powder and now I add that to smoothies too.

GailLondon Mon 19-Jan-15 18:09:03

You might want to think about increasing your iron levels - anaemia can leave you feeling very fatigued. You could try an iron supplement, the liquid ones like Ferroglobin are good, or increasing your intake of spinach etc

XiCi Mon 19-Jan-15 18:49:41

Following a low carb diet gives me much more energy. Just cutting out white bread and pasta makes a huge difference. A berocca in the afternoon each day also gives me a boost

For75thewifecanwatch Mon 19-Jan-15 19:38:48

I started paleo diet and felt great had so much energy. I got pregnant and started craving junk and fell off the wagon! I need to start it again but it's so hard! I have all the health diet books but no will power. I'm taking a low carb no sugar just xylitol protein shake now every morning and it helps.
I hope the doc will test your tsh t4 and t3 also ferritin. Mine are all borderline but I take natural thyroid under the care of a private doc and it helps. Make sure you get you results tsh should be under 2.5 but to feel well its better to be near 1. T4 and t3 need to be near top of range. Ferritin should be around 70.

fredfredgeorgejnr Mon 19-Jan-15 19:41:38

Unless you're deficient (iron, B12 etc.) then diet is very unlikely to make any difference, as noted above go to the doc's to see. More exercise (difficult of course with the time and feeling tired to start) probably will help.

fromparistoberlin73 Mon 19-Jan-15 19:47:13

I also agree re the blood tests op .

That should be priority first over diet

However for me when trying to be healthy (in winter !) I eat loads of pulses and veggies. Mainly in soups . Also consider some good supplements ie iron, zinc etc

Agree that exercise and fresh air (even when you feel shit) begets more energy

Go see gp op x

fromparistoberlin73 Mon 19-Jan-15 19:48:12

And agree anything to eat with iron helps

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: