Talk

Advanced search

was this innocent or should i report it to the school?

(103 Posts)
whyareallthegoodnicknamestaken Mon 19-Jan-15 17:07:30

Decided to let ds walk to pick dd up with me today (he's 19 months...BIG mistake!!)
Got half way there, he wanted to be picked up... To cut a long story short I ended up exhausted and covered in dog poo..
on the way home I was less that happy and ended up trying to walk ds by his reins, and ended up carrying him again because he had touched my coat with the dog poo on.
so there I was walking down the street with a face like thunder covered in dog poo trying to carry ds whilst restraining him from putting his dog poopy hands in his mouth when an old man came up and was making polite converstation. He had noticed dd was from the local school, he then asked her what class she was in, and before I could intervene she had told him.
he seemed nice enough but I don't like the idea of him asking her what class she was in, am I being over protective?

MaidOfStars Mon 19-Jan-15 17:08:39

I think so.

I think the poo has addled your brain smile

eosmum Mon 19-Jan-15 17:09:22

Way OTT.

Idontseeanysontarans Mon 19-Jan-15 17:10:25

He may have a grandchild in the school? I think you might be over reacting on this one tbh.

Summerisle1 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:11:08

I realise that this wasn't a great moment to stop you for a conversation but equally, it also seems like a great shame when someone can't ask an innocent question without assuming that they are some sort of pervert.

I can't imagine your dd being put at any risk by disclosing what class she is in. It's a harmless question I'm sure and she simply answered it honestly.

binspin Mon 19-Jan-15 17:11:39

What would you report him for? being friendly?

Will we see a post later asking if a poster should report a mum and child covered in dog poo?

YackityUnderTheMistletoe Mon 19-Jan-15 17:12:05

Seriously? It sounds like the perfect question to ask a child if you want to show them they are interesting!

Gosh, I really hope it was just a poo addled brain moment.

Lagoonablue Mon 19-Jan-15 17:12:06

He was just making conversation. Forget it.

MajesticWhine Mon 19-Jan-15 17:13:21

Sounds like you had a difficult time. Put cbeebies on. Have a cup of tea. Forget it.

RoganJosh Mon 19-Jan-15 17:14:24

It sounds like a standard polite question to me. 'Do you enjoy school?' and then 'what class are you in?' would be the way it would go round here.

Tinkerball Mon 19-Jan-15 17:14:27

I find this really sad that it's even questioned to be honest.

Greydog Mon 19-Jan-15 17:15:51

This is the sort of over reaction that makes nice, helpful harmless men frightened to help a lost child, in case people think they're "odd" What a sad old world

Pancakeflipper Mon 19-Jan-15 17:16:57

He may have friends or relatives who teach there, he may be a regular visitor to the school for teaching music/hearing readers/chess club/sports clubs Tec

He may have had children there himself or have grand children at the school.
He may have just been making conversation.

Don't worry.

Summerisle1 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:17:47

What I find saddest is the idea that an elderly gentleman could find himself reported to the school and face potentially unpleasant consequences for no better reason than he asked a simple and innocent question. What's the world coming to?

DancingDinosaur Mon 19-Jan-15 17:18:34

Yes you are being over protective. Crikey. What a sad old world we live in. Theres nothing unusual in him asking that. Presumably it wouldn't be hard to tell from the uniform anyway.

TooSpotty Mon 19-Jan-15 17:21:27

Setting aside how extremely unlikely it is that he has ulterior motives rather than being a friendly soul, he's a rather poor groomer if he has nefarious intentions and is carrying out his evil deeds right in front of you.

Poor man. Maybe he thought he was being helpful in distracting her while you wrangled with the toddler.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 19-Jan-15 17:21:36

He might have seen you storming down the road with a face like thunder and a small girl trailing behind you, feared that you were enraged and going to thump her later and asked a question or two to break the tension and acertain if you were in control of your temper. Or if he ought to do something.
I hate seeing a furious parent with small children, it worries me.

Tinkerball Mon 19-Jan-15 17:21:48

Full of hysterical about paedophiles people Summerisle that's what it's coming to.

BuzzardBird Mon 19-Jan-15 17:22:46

Calm down OP. Tomorrow will be better. Have a brew after bathing ds and yourself. Tomorrow you will feel blush that you thought this today.

adsy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:29

yeah. pervy bastard. Get it reported to the school and hopefully they'll put an injunction on any old men living within 5 miles of the school and also ban all small talk of whether small people are enjoying school.
he's probably outside your dd's door at this very moment disguised as a school and waiting to pounce.

MumsyFoxy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:45

Actually if I was making conversation with a stranger's child I would never ask what class they were in, it's an inappropriate question.

MythicalKings Mon 19-Jan-15 17:24:32

Poor old chap. OP, you are wildly over reacting.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 19-Jan-15 17:25:15

'and we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway.'

Yes, let's hope that when clean and calm the OP rethinks the encounter.

TrevaronGirl Mon 19-Jan-15 17:25:34

"...am I being over protective"

Yes.

Idontseeanysontarans Mon 19-Jan-15 17:26:00

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy?
grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: