Talk

Advanced search

...to think that if we have to have a Y6 prom that it should just be for Y6 and not for their whole family?

(27 Posts)
jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:04:03

Am happy(ish) for DD1 to have a little party with her Y6 friends since the class will be split up next year at various different secondaries. However, I think it should be a special evening for her and her classmates and not the rest of the school. Especially when there are lots of other "family" events throughout the school year which usually end up with a DJ playing "I am the music man" or similar while the reception class children jump up and down. DD1 didn't want to go to the last couple. She is very sad at the thought of the "prom" turning into another family event. Costs will be covered by the sales of tickets and I would rather pay more for DD's ticket for something appropriate for 10/11yos rather than pay for our whole family when there's no way they can cater for the whole age range. We have been asked for ideas. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that it be a Y6 only event? AFAIK siblings weren't invited last year.

Oceanpurple Mon 19-Jan-15 17:09:52

Of course that's not unreasonable. Why would the rest of the school be invited? It's the Y6 class that are leaving!
When dd left Y6 they had a disco and drove around in a limo for an hour?? confused

Oceanpurple Mon 19-Jan-15 17:13:19

Oh, sorry I think I misunderstood. Do you mean that the family of the Y6 child would be invited?

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:13:49

Oceanp I think that's what some (the girls, anyway) want to do. However, on discovering that everyones' families are invited, DD1 texted some friends - one said, "No way!" and another said, "Ahhh, that's nice!" so I am worried about upsetting some parents/children who must think this is a good idea.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:14:39

Yes, the families of the Y6 pupils.

CaptainHolt Mon 19-Jan-15 17:18:42

Our prom leavers disco is for all of KS2, which is marginally better. We are a 1 form entry so just having Y6 would make a dance a bit sparse, maybe.

Oceanpurple Mon 19-Jan-15 17:22:20

I would have thought that most of Y6 would have just wanted the time for themselves - a chance to feel a bit grown-up with their own party.
Is there a leaver's assembly? That's what happened when dd left - the families of all those leaving were invited then. Could you suggest it and then leave it at that? Tbh, it's tempting to say that the teacher should do a survey of the class, asking who wants the party to be Y6 only!
But again, definitely not unreasonable. smile

Summerisle1 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:22:45

My dcs missed all this primary school prom malarkey but they did have a Year 6 Leavers' Do - think cheesy disco. There was no question of this being for everyone else in the school because it was a special evening for the Year Sixers to mark a significant event.

Once you open it to everyone the whole point of a Year 6 do is lost.

ffluffy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:13

It sounds like someone on the organising committee thinks its a good idea to invite family along and haven't really thought about what the year 6 pupils want. IMO prom or a "leavers disco" should be about the children who are leaving saying goodbye to their friends, not a whole family/school event.

I8toys Mon 19-Jan-15 17:23:34

Definitely need their own. My son's leavers disco had a festival theme - they had wristbands and tents set up outside with a barbecue and water pistols and games. It was brilliant. We are two form entry though. PTA give a donation of about �150 and think it cost parents about a tenner for food etc. They had a T shirt with all names on and year.

Mrsjayy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:26:18

Our dds primary 7 leavers disco prom had parents in the playground watching and taking photos and we were invited in 10 minutes at the end that was nice. How many of the family brothers sisters aunts and grannys just seems daft maybe speak to the yr 6 teachers to see what's going on.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:29:52

Yes, there is a leavers assembly and at the end of the summer term they have a school gala-type thing for the whole family.
The children have been asked for their ideas for the prom, too, which mostly consisted of football for the boys and disco for the girls!
CaptainH - maybe that is why they intend to invite the whole family as we are one form entry also - disco would be too sparse with just their class but I don't think that opening it up to infants is the way to go. hmm I am just trying to think it through before I stick my oar in.
Thanks for your help, both.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:20

Gosh - thanks everyone...must type faster!
Yes, I really do think it needs to be special for the Y6s since there are other family events through the year. I don't mind chaperoning but I don't want to buy a ticket!

turkeyboots Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:53

PTA here do water fight, bbq or pizza and discover (aka CD and prance about the hall for the last 10min). Goes down really well with the leavers.

turkeyboots Mon 19-Jan-15 17:33:32

Disco not discover. Stupid phone.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:38:21

I8toys - sounds great but a bit weather dependent! Don't think there is any contribution from PTA but I am happy (and am sure other parents would be happy also) to pay double for Y6 tickets and not attend ourselves (unless as helpers) or bring other children. Catering for 30 is surely easier than catering for 100-150?

Hulababy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:40:57

I guess if it only a one form entry than a disco for just 30 children wouldn't be very big. They'd be better organising a different type of event that suits just 30 children perhaps.

Otherwise I can see why they may need to invite another year group.

I think its a bit strange inviting family members to a child's disco though - you are going to end up with a whole load of adults stood talking/drinking, the 30 Y6s wanting to celebrate and then a whole range of other aged children of varying ages.

DD was in a small primary school so only 13 in her Y6. They didn't have a "prom." Instead there was the normal annual school disco open to all, but it was deliberately held on the Saturday night after the girls did their entrance exam for the secondary school most went on to (and the last exams in the calendar) and a special area was reserved for the Y6s to sit and have cake, as well as joining in the party - but that was held in January.

Then in the summer there was a Leaver's Assembly where Y6 perform, etc. and there was a family BBQ for Y6 and their family. The Y6s were also taken to a local park for a picnic one lunchtime/afternoon in the final week or so - just Y6 and some teachers and the HT.

Iwantacampervan Mon 19-Jan-15 17:42:22

In our school there is a PTA run summer disco for all the school but the year 6 class have their own evening as well which is usually a BBQ on school field and use of school pool/water fight etc. No other family members are invited as it's their own party. There is a leavers' assembly performed by year 6 to the whole school and the parents and assorted relatives (of year 6 only).
Nothing as formal as a prom (thankfully)

Shockers Mon 19-Jan-15 17:49:39

We have a family (of yr 6) barbecue. However after they've eaten and done a treasure hunt. while the parents/siblings sit and chat, the yr 6-ers go into the woodland area with their teachers, sit round a camp fire, sing songs and drink hot chocolate. It's very gentle and really beautiful.

It's an evening of them being good friends having fun, rather than a 'prom' where they're worrying about their appearance etc.

Nanny0gg Mon 19-Jan-15 17:57:52

Our school has a 5/6 disco, but the Yr6s stay on for an extra half-an-hour just for them.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 17:59:14

I think they have just called it a "prom" for lack of any other word and AFAICG it might not necessarily be a disco, depending on the ideas they get from Y6 children. Although, having already said that it is open to all families of Y6 pupils, the committee - which consists of Y6 parents, not teachers, Mrsjayy hmm - must have something in mind that will cater for that number of people.
Gawd - am I coming across as a winging parent? I am glad that someone is arranging this for the kids but worried that their efforts are going to disappoint so many (apart from themselves) and we'll end up paying out for something that half of the class will hate. I am new to the school so only have DD1's word as to how things have been arranged in previous years. I have volunteered my services to the committee but I think they already have some firm ideas.

jaamy Mon 19-Jan-15 18:00:21

That's lovely Shockers :-)

Shockers Mon 19-Jan-15 18:05:25

It really is!

Iwantacampervan Mon 19-Jan-15 19:51:17

Shockers - that does sound lovely and great to do something for families and year 6 get their special time too. It would be good to have a party/BBQ (not disco) for year 6 families (parents and siblings) as for many it will be their last association with the school - for those with several children their involvement could have been 15+ years.

Mrsjayy Tue 20-Jan-15 08:08:55

Why the [co fused] what did I say wrong <worried>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: