Talk

Advanced search

My MIL Got Me A New Job & I Hate It (Lighthearted)

(56 Posts)
UKSky Mon 19-Jan-15 15:19:09

For Christmas my DMIL got me a new job. I don't want it, don't need it and don't have enough time as is required to do it properly.

According to my "Manager" it's a job in retail. Everyday, I have to stack the shelves, assist the customers in choosing their shopping, man the till and take their money. Then I have to pack it.

To make matters worse, the shop is tiny; it has too many shelves and too much stock for the space. All of the customers are a bit wobbly on their feet and if they so much as touch one of my lovingly made displays the whole lot ends up in a heap on the floor.

And, despite starting work on Christmas Day, I have no contract and not yet been paid. And the hours are crap. I am "expected" to work from about 7am for an hour. Then from 4pm for an hour or two

What can I do? I feel this is going to get worse as my "Manager" will most likely be acquiring more properties and customers over the coming years, but there is unlikely to be a staff increase.

And yesterday, the new loos arrived and I am expected to help the customers use the loo, wipe their bums and help them wash their hands.

There will be bus arriving soon to take all the customers to the beach, and I expect I am going to have to drive the bus to the beach, help then undress and build them sandcastles, as well as making a picnic.

There really just aren't enough hours in the day. smile smile

AIBU to ask the "Manager" to stop bossing me about and do some of the bloody work herself? smile

Roseformeplease Mon 19-Jan-15 15:22:37

?

WeirdCatLady Mon 19-Jan-15 15:23:33

Eh?

CaptainAnkles Mon 19-Jan-15 15:25:33

I seem to have missed the point confused

landoflostcontent Mon 19-Jan-15 15:26:00

Hopefully the "manager" will be starting nursery soon and you can relax a bit smile

LokiBear Mon 19-Jan-15 15:26:24

Did your mil buy your lo a shop for Christmas? Hehe! If so, I am currently I'm the same line of work as you! Sat for so long manning the till in DD's play chair my arse got stuck the other day!

Fanfeckintastic Mon 19-Jan-15 15:26:28

I am forced to shop in a shop like you describe. It's exhausting, the shop assistant only allows me to buy certain things, never gives me the correct change, does NOT handle my complaints in a professional manner yet I am forced to shop there over and over and over again.

OldLadyKnows Mon 19-Jan-15 15:26:39

The manager is inexperienced in the role, and needs to work on staff-management relations. If you feel that being more familiar with the day to day realities of front-facing customer service would be of a benefit to your manager, certainly you must communicate that, clearly, yet kindly.

CaptainAnkles Mon 19-Jan-15 15:26:53

Oh! I see blush

Littletabbyocelot Mon 19-Jan-15 15:28:08

She bought dc a toy shop? Are the customers dolls or will you have to provide the extra customers too?

Lollyandmootoo Mon 19-Jan-15 15:34:59

I remember shopping in an outlet similar to those mentioned, might be the same chain! Only in my case the shopkeeper bought no stock in themselves, just stole various items of my property to sell back to me, and I was in no way allowed to object to this practice. I was required to purchase as many items as the shopkeeper demanded and then, after paying, return them so the shelves could be restocked!

Eventually the shopkeeper quit their shop and I managed to persuade them to take up work in construction instead, building odd premises out of very small bricks. I'm still expected to provide free labour, but I have a little more say over what I do (unless I dare to try and change Lego Hermione's outfit).

EatShitDerek Mon 19-Jan-15 15:38:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EatShitDerek Mon 19-Jan-15 15:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I was most disappointed when shopping in a similar establishment to find out they had sold me display items that were inedible. If I complained the customer service representative told me I was "silly".

ShadowSpiral Mon 19-Jan-15 15:42:03

YANBU.

I started shopping in a similar shop over the Christmas holidays. The stock available to purchase is varied, random, and I am not allowed to select which item I wish to buy for myself. The shopkeeper insists on selling me what he thinks I should buy, despite clear requests for different products.

On the plus side - for me - the shopkeeper is clearly unfamiliar with arithmetic and how to handle a till. Usually, I give him the requested money - i.e. £2 - and receive several times that in my change. The last time I attempted to point this out, an extra £20 was added into my change. I fear that bankruptcy or fraud charges are looming for this shop.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 19-Jan-15 15:42:53

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Tutt Mon 19-Jan-15 15:44:15

My ex 'manger' at the vets would have absolute melt downs when one of the small animal 'clients' where very poorly and I didn't fix them, or put the bandage (small plaster) in the right place.
I'm afraid I quit!

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 19-Jan-15 15:44:41

Is this your manager????

HoraceCope Mon 19-Jan-15 15:45:25

grin

LokiBear Mon 19-Jan-15 15:46:49

I'm currently in the cafe being served bright green 'biscuits' served by a young lady who talks with an American accent and calls herself 'Doc Mcstuffins'. Doc has just thrown a strop because I only took a pretend bite of my biscuit and I won't let her dip her biscuit in my tea (that I had to make for myself as her cafe will only sell me water.)grin

PercyGherkin Mon 19-Jan-15 15:46:57

I have never worked in a shop such as you describe, but I have been a customer of many such establishments. I find a lot of the stock is irredeemably squashed cardboard boxes and the staff shout at me for not buying enough. And as for the pricing...!

HoraceCope Mon 19-Jan-15 15:47:01

Can you go on long term sick op?

SorchaN Mon 19-Jan-15 15:48:14

I'm literally crying with laughter. I used to work in a similar shop many years ago and I think they still have my credit card.

Lollyandmootoo Mon 19-Jan-15 15:48:16

Derek - oh I remember with horror the cafe our shopkeeper ran! The meals were frankly bonkers, I remember once being served a dish I hadn't even ordered of one whole uncooked egg, 3 chips, a croissant, a bunch of grapes and a burger (no bun or accompaniments, just the plain burger) - the chef/shopkeeper then stared at me until I'd made a sufficient attempt to eat the meal.

ASunnyTiger Mon 19-Jan-15 15:49:16

YANBU. Keep telling your manager you don't know how to do it and ask them for a demonstration. If you do this enough times hopefully they'll forgot you work there and you can pass yourself off as a customer or escape from the manager.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: