Advanced search

To ask you where you keep your pram?

(83 Posts)
monkeymamma Mon 19-Jan-15 11:06:54

We've splashed out on a very fancy double buggy to accommodate ds1 (3) and ds2 (5 weeks) and I'm just not sure where to keep it. Unlike our old one it doesn't fit easily in the car (it fits, but in pieces which have to be assembled) and in our new house, unlike our old, the car is round the corner so it's difficult to walk round and get it all out/assembled on my own with both kids. It's easier for me if its assembled and sat in the hallway. (We also have a garage but it has a damp problem so I don't want buggy in there... Also it's the same distance from the front door as the car so same problems re kids).
My dfolks think its a bit grim to keep it in the hallway (dogshit/germs from the wheels) and dh finds it unaesthetic there:-) but AIBU to decide its the best option?

monkeymamma Mon 19-Jan-15 11:07:39

(Possibly should have posted this in first world problems thread...!)

Fairylea Mon 19-Jan-15 11:08:55

We have a huge out n about nipper which is permanently covered in mud and we just leave it assembled in a corner of our kitchen (hall isn't big enough but kitchen is very long and the end it's in is more like a utility bit). No way am I faffing out putting it up and down every time I want to go out!

ireallydontlikemonday Mon 19-Jan-15 11:09:55

I had a donkey and I had to keep it in my hallway. Drove me mad. Switched it for a BJCM double which fits in the porch.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 19-Jan-15 11:11:20

Hall seems like the most sensible plan, tbh. Or utility/boot room if you have one?

We lived in tiny houses when ours were babies, no garage and 'hall' was a 3ft square so no room for buggy. It lived in the kitchen diner (also tiny) as I used to come in through the back patio doors. We couldn't keep it in the car as we only had one at the time which DH took to work so the pram would've been pretty useless in the boot.

monkeymamma Mon 19-Jan-15 11:13:17

Had a mad, sleep deprived moment then ireally, imagining an actual donkey in your hallway (probs messier than bugaboo as a travel solution). Do you mean outdoor or indoor porch? We have a porch but outside if you see what I mean...

HedgehogsDontBite Mon 19-Jan-15 11:14:31

Ours is in the hall but our hall is massive so it doesn't bother me.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 19-Jan-15 11:15:14

well, why the heck did you buy something so expensive and impractical? we planned ahead bought a light weight one (7.5ish kg) and I folded it down and carried up two flights of stairs to the drying room on our landing. otherwise it was kept in the boot of the car. put an old dust sheet down and it can go on there. if you are worried, keep antibac by the door and spray the wheels, but how is it any different to taking shoes off andkeeping them near to the door?

PercyGherkin Mon 19-Jan-15 11:15:42

We had (still have, come to that, though the pram has long gone) a carpet runner in the hall for it to sit on. I agree with your DH that it's not IDEALLY the first thing your guests would --trip over--see when they come in, but needs must. It's there to be used and you need your life to be as easy as possible. Also means if baby falls asleep in it you can just wheel it in leaving baby still asleep. Bit baffled by the dirt/dogshit problem - surely this is no different to taking your outdoor shoes off when you come in? I leave those by the door as well.

Tell all these complainers that if they can prove to you there's a better option you're very happy to try it out.

Only1scoop Mon 19-Jan-15 11:15:59

Car or garage.

LST Mon 19-Jan-15 11:16:37

In the boot of the car. Best thing we ever did getting a Vectra! grin

Only1scoop Mon 19-Jan-15 11:17:18

Sorry just saw damp in garage in your post....

HolyTerror Mon 19-Jan-15 11:19:50

Garage. Cover yours with something to guard against damp.

LemonYellowSun Mon 19-Jan-15 11:20:32

I always kept ours in the boot of the car

monkeyfacegrace Mon 19-Jan-15 11:20:36

I've just spent £££ having a huge solid outdoor shed/storage unit erected along the fence on our front drive.

It has been stuffed with bikes, scooters, skateboards, motorbike, prams, car seats, balls, wellies, everything!

I'm in love with my new toy.

I used to get excited about shoes and handbags hmmsad

MiaowTheCat Mon 19-Jan-15 11:20:42

When I had a double Nipper and didn't have a car during the day... folded down in the kitchen (it wouldn't fit through our kitchen door opened out). Once I got a car of my own again... in boot of car (I'd downsized somewhat by then). Neighbours are all very obliging leaving the space outside our front door for me to park in (they are with everyone with cars generally) but if I had to I'd park down the street and push the buggy down and then pop it back in the car afterwards.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 19-Jan-15 11:24:37

In our hallway. Drives me instance but nowhere else to put it!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 19-Jan-15 11:24:53

Instance?! Insane

BauerTime Mon 19-Jan-15 11:28:04

Ours is in the hall and you have to squeeze round it, but I tell myself it's not forever so we cope

ISolemnlySwearImUptoNoGood Mon 19-Jan-15 11:28:38

My double, I don't really use it anymore but I keep for day trips and holidays, hangs on bike hooks in the utility. Gets it out the way.

Thurlow Mon 19-Jan-15 11:29:34

In the corner of the dining room normally. If we can be bothered it's folded up (now on an umbrella stroller) and in theory goes in the understairs cupboard - but in practice it's very handy for hanging coats and and bags on...

The corner is out of the way, though, so it's not like we're tripping it around it. We don't have a garage, hallway or use the car often, so it had to be in the house. I know someone who has bought one of those bike storage thingies that they've put out the front of the house and put the pram in there, which actually works quite well.

RiverTam Mon 19-Jan-15 11:31:05

in the hall. Deliberately got a narrow one as we have a narrow hall.

Where do you parents think people without cars keep their buggies? We have no inside porch or side access (Victorian terrace), no off-street parking so car could be anywhere (and I'm not about to leave an expensive buggy in the car), and as it's the city we walk more than drive.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 19-Jan-15 11:36:29

Is there any chance of sorting damp garage out? Very useful for storing large, potentially dirty things.

Offler Mon 19-Jan-15 11:40:53

Our stupidly large (but very comfy and manoeuvrable) pram/buggy lives in the hall. We put down an old picnic rug for it to run onto/rest on to save to carpet from the worst. Small buggy is currently living in the car.

In our old house, we had no hall, so took it in through the back door and into the kitchen.

HamishBamish Mon 19-Jan-15 11:40:54

Ours lived in the hall on a plastic mat. Not the best looking thing in the world, but the only option if it wasn't in the boot of the car. I eventually dispensed with the pram when we had DC2 as he hated it and was happier in a sling. We did use the car a lot though, so I didn't have to walk miles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now