Advanced search

To get this cat neutered.

(47 Posts)
Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 00:21:46

We have one neutered male cat ourselves and a lovely cat flap that invariably means we get the odd neighbourhood cat in.
Anyway, a large tom has appeared to have taken a shine to our house. He's fat enough but a bit mangy and scabby, half his ear missing. He's very friendly and dd adores him.
No collar so I made a few enquiries and believe he belongs to a young lad who has a few and let's them breed like the proverbial. The lady I spoke to has reported him to the RSPCA but he's not actually abusing the animals so they're not bothered.
He apparently kicks the cat out for a bit when he gets sick of it. Hence he's come (quite a way really) to ours.
I live in a small village and am 99% sure this is the same cat.
Would ibu to take him to the vets and have him 'done'? I feel quite strongly that there are too many unwanted cats around and if he's going to be hanging around ours, I'd rather he was spayed.

Would it be theft?? Of a cat? A cats balls?
This man apparently threatened the girl who was feeding the cat last time and threw something at her window so I'm not keen to ask....

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Mon 19-Jan-15 00:26:50

You just can't take random cats to the vet to be done without the owners consent.

Loopylala7 Mon 19-Jan-15 00:27:24

Rather you than me...

BitchBags Mon 19-Jan-15 00:28:31

grin at theft of a cats balls. Yanbu to want to get him neutered but ywbu to do it as he's not your cat.

Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 00:33:21

But if I don't get him done what are my options? He's practically living here (of his own free will I might add), at first we were chasing him out and discouraging him but it's so cold outside and we weren't sure he had a home.
Theoretically I may not have had the conversation with this lady and may genuinely believe he is a stray.
Just don't want him spraying everywhere.

FightOrFlight Mon 19-Jan-15 00:38:55

What if the cat died under the anaesthetic or got an infection?

I can understand why you want to do it (firm believer in spay/neuter) but it's not your cat therefore not your decision.

If you don't want him spraying in your house then you'll have to stop him coming in.

catsofa Mon 19-Jan-15 00:50:28

I don't agree with the law when it treats living beings as property.

Legally you would be in the wrong, but morally this cat and all its many many future offspring will suffer if he's not neutered, so I think you should do it.

You will have to pretend to be the legal owner of the cat otherwise the vet will have to refuse to do it.

Good luck!

Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 00:50:32

I know. That's my worry too.
I'm torn.
I just feel like he's become partly my responsibility.
Ho hum...

Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 00:53:55

That's my way of thinking too.
The owner clearly doesn't give two hoots about his well being or he wouldn't kick him out. Poor thing probably hasn't even had jabs or any sort of check up.

StarsOfTrackAndField Mon 19-Jan-15 00:55:48

I'd do it and adopt the wee scamp permanently. If the twat who owns him shows no interest in his welfare and kicks him out to fend for himself, I'd take him in a heartbeat and lie through my teeth if his ratbag owner makes enquiries. Which given his lack of interest in him is hugely unlikely.

hoobypickypicky Mon 19-Jan-15 00:57:31

"You just can't take random cats to the vet to be done without the owners consent."

Yes you can actually, providing he's not microchipped. There's nothing in law to say you can't. It's exactly what I'd do in your position, OP, although of course you must be prepared to keep the cat safely indoors at your house until he's recovered fully from the operation.

Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 00:58:23

Thanks stars,
We have become rather fond of him but my other cat isn't keen.
They're not fighting, just wary. I think if other cat is de-balled grin they've more chance of getting along too.

PhaedraIsMyName Mon 19-Jan-15 01:00:14

I'd do it. I would encourage him to move in with me and then get him done.

Drunkendonut Mon 19-Jan-15 01:03:19

I'm more than happy to look after him (and provide him with dreamies) while he recovers.
I'll have to have a think about it.
Ty for the replies, very nice to know Others would do the same.

tazzle22 Mon 19-Jan-15 01:05:30

If a feral / stray cat has no identified owner one can trap, neuter and release using a voucher from col. .. However one must have made reasonable effort to locate an owner, whether you have or not is down to you and your conscience ;-) I am of the mind that cats chose their own guardians lol

Topseyt Mon 19-Jan-15 01:13:53

Do it. Just tell the vet that he moved in with you a while back and you have been unable to discover who owns him despite your exhaustive enquiries.

Sounds like the cat is making his decision and prefers your house anyway.

CeCeLaine Mon 19-Jan-15 01:16:02

Well if you did get him done then I very much doubt the owner would even realise to be honest but yes you would have to register the cat in your name at the vet.
He would need a quick once over before the op and if the vet suspected any underlying conditions/illness then you would be liable for the payment of treatment.
Also neutering wont guarantee the cat wont spray afterwards. I have 2 male cats that spray, cat #1 sprays both indoor and out cat #2 only sprays outdoors, even though they were both neutered at 6 months old.

I would have a serious think as to whether you'd be happy to pay for neutering and possibly flea and worm treatment as the basics then take into consideration anything else that may crop up. Its a lot of money for a cat that isn't yours and there is no guarantee that he will stay with you on a long term basis.

NeedABumChange Mon 19-Jan-15 01:24:00

I would.

So many stray cats, would be far less if people were responsible and didn't let randy toms out and about.

Tbf if the boy has kicked him out then the cat is a stray and doesn't have an owner anyways.

Also it makes them live longer doesn't it and less at risk of certain illnesses so you'd be helping the cat long term too not to mention all the poor female cats in the neighbourhood.

thecatneuterer Mon 19-Jan-15 01:29:02

Do it. You have every reason to believe he is a stray (should anyone ask, which they won't) and it's in the cat's best interest and in the best interests of all the other cats and people in the neighbourhood. There is no moral dilemma here. Do it.

redrubyindigo Mon 19-Jan-15 01:47:57

Get him done. My two cats had many trips to the vets with multiple injuries, puncture wounds etc. One attack involved 17 stiches on my cat after an attack never mind the cost of the antibiotics and after care. The sod literally ripped my cat open so the vet and I saw his muscles and tendons clearly.

This unneutered cat also ripped the cat flap from it's frame, entered the house many times, peed everywhere including in the wardrobe where I had to wash and dry clean all the clothing.

My boys (neutered) were confined to the house because of that cat.

icclemunchy Mon 19-Jan-15 06:46:26

In the eyes of the law technically no one owns the cat… that's why you don't have to report it should you run one over.

Totally get why you'd be tempted, wether or not you can live with the "morality" of It is up to you (speaking as the person who had bils cat done when I took it to be treated after a fight. He's still not noticed wink )

scotchmincepie Mon 19-Jan-15 07:07:10

Get him done. My neighbours did this with a 'stray' who had adopted them. It will also more than likely extend his life expectancy.

KnackeredMerrily Mon 19-Jan-15 07:15:27

What iccle said. Cats are treated differently in uk law. You can't be held responsible for their actions for example. And they do just up and go and find a new home.

I say neuter him, keep him in your house for two weeks to recover and see what he does then.

This thread never existed. ..

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Mon 19-Jan-15 08:05:48

Put up some signs saying you've found a cat and want to trace the owner. When no one rings, take the signs down and claim the cat as yours. Save the signs as proof that you tried to find the owner, and also ring the police to report finding a stray. Then give it a name and do as you wish.

You don't know that it belongs to that lad, it could well be a legitimate stray wanting a home.

CeCeLaine Mon 19-Jan-15 08:10:42

I forgot to add, if you are happy to pay the costs then he will be all the better for it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now