Talk

Advanced search

to be really excited about cleaning my cooker today?

(35 Posts)
nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 10:36:01

Lovely new bottle of oven mate and stuff for doing racks just arrived <strokes bottles adoringly>. Been looking forward to doing this all week.

Is anyone else this sad or is it just me?

FunkyPeacock Sat 17-Jan-15 10:39:55

Just you!

Writerwannabe83 Sat 17-Jan-15 10:41:06

Just you.

We are paying to have ours done grin

Unless you are free one weekend?? grin

BestIsWest Sat 17-Jan-15 10:41:07

YANBU. I have been ill with flu since Christmas and can't wait to be better to do mine.

loudarts Sat 17-Jan-15 10:44:24

Just you, cleaning the oven is my most hated job

zozzij Sat 17-Jan-15 10:52:20

YANBU, it's going to be AMAZING. I can't wait til mine is dirty enough to do!

silveroldie2 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:16:31

Form an orderly queue and you can do mine which desperately needs a clean.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sat 17-Jan-15 11:23:19

Did mine recently and it looks amazing now - though used a dishwashing tablet on the oven door as your not meant to use oven pride on that. I can actually see in the oven now!

Very satisfying to actually look at the oven now.

nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 11:26:48

I feel I should share that this is the first time in over a year that a cleaning product has been anywhere near the oven bit <minger>.

Hugely satisfying watching all the brown goop come off....

writer I used to pay to have ours done too but can't afford it right now. thosr chaps in their special vans are awesome! have seriously considered looking into setting one up myself. I hate cleaning generally but love a deep oven clean!

nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 11:27:41

mycat whats the dishwasher tablet trick please?

Imscarlet Sat 17-Jan-15 11:31:22

Oven pride (assume it's the same or similar) is absolutely amazing. Pour on, leave, wipe off, sparkling oven, no work. When I think of the hours of disappointment I put in with me muscle!!

Imscarlet Sat 17-Jan-15 11:33:28

Mr muscle even!

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sat 17-Jan-15 11:38:58

Slightly damp dishwashing tablet and scrub at door. It dids take some elbow grease but it looks amazing as it gets rid of all the brown baked on gloop.

Notnaice Sat 17-Jan-15 11:42:49

Dishwasher trick is fantastic for the glass oven door. - wet a tablet and scrub with it. That's all you need to do.

I discovered the miracle of flash miracle sponge (bought in wilkinsons) for cleaning the top of the stainless steel oven. Although I cleaned it regularly, over the years it got a built up scum just under the rings that normal cleaners wouldn't touch. The miracle sponge did what it promised.

BestIsWest Sat 17-Jan-15 13:55:41

Best tip for the metal racks anyone?

puntasticusername Sat 17-Jan-15 14:05:23

YABU. YOU ARE MAKING THE REST OF US LOOK BAD.

grin wink

nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 14:12:05

It's so bad I'm on the second application of oven mate to the inside. Feeling slightly less excited about the whole thing now.....

Door is all clean and sparkly though, finished it off with a dishwasher tablet grin

trinity0097 Sat 17-Jan-15 14:59:56

I'm sat mumsnetting whilst a nice man is cleaning mine at the moment!

Cuddledaroundacat Sat 17-Jan-15 15:13:07

If you need to clean the racks without using oven pride just leave them to soak overnight in the bath with a couple of biological washing tablets. All the gunk just soaks off although you may need to go over the corner bits with an old toothbrush and you will need to clean the bath too.

yomellamoHelly Sat 17-Jan-15 15:23:04

You are me! Oven mate and rack cleaning bowl arrived yesterday. Oven soaked in gel and racks in bio washing powder overnight. So hob stuff looks amazing but oven needs a second go.
Have had the oven four and a half years. Never cleaned it!
What's the deal with the dishwasher tablet? (Have been wondering if I should try and unscrew it and let it soak in the bowl.)

yomellamoHelly Sat 17-Jan-15 15:24:27

Oh! Just seen the dishwasher tab trick thanks to Notnaice. Will try later.

Mammanat222 Sat 17-Jan-15 15:26:44

I only cleaned mine once a year.... <filthy bitch>

We actually bought a new one when we moved I was too embarrassed to let anyone touch mine

Going to take much better care of the new one but I can't ever see myself getting excited about cleaning it.

holdyourown Sat 17-Jan-15 15:27:12

YANBU although what I like to do is de-scale the kettle and unblock the sinks using that liquid wink <we know how to enjoy ourselves>

nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 15:31:14

Now on third application of oven mate. Feel like going to the pub. On the upside it appears its going to have to stay on overnight it's that bad, so dinner will either be a takeaway or we will have to GO OUT. Every cloud....

I'm slightly depressed though that my entire Saturday has consisted of cleaning the cooker and updating strangers on the internet with my progress. I used to be someone y'know, I went out on Saturday afternoons to cocktail bars and shit, I did glamorous Harvey Nicks style shopping sprees and only stopped for sushi. Honest. wink

Now where did I put that mould spray for the grouting in the shower......

nooyearnooname Sat 17-Jan-15 15:33:48

hold you've just reminded me I have some descaler sachets for the kettle that I haven't used....my Saturday is getting better and better! Might bleach the teaspoons too as my piece de resistance.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: