Talk

Advanced search

To allow my baby to have a bedtime bottle a little longer than 12 months?

(72 Posts)
MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:31:09

My baby is almost a year old (next week!) and she has been formula fed from birth.

She absolutely will not accept a cup, apart from very occasional sips of water. She gets quite distressed if milk is offered in a cup.

While we are still working on this, a bedtime bottle won't do any harm will it? I intend to offer only cups in the daytime from a year old, as food will become main nutrition, therefore she can take or leave the milk, but i think a bedtime bottle is a great comfort to her and don't want to distress her when she is tired. She is brilliant sleeper too and i worry that suddenly taking the bottle away will unsettle her.

My partner thinks we should cut all bottle use out at 1 year, and have her go cold turkey. I think there is no harm in taking a little longer (maybe a month or so?) to keep trying to crack it after all 1 year is advice and guidance, not law!

So what do you guys think? And any tips or advice for a stubborn little cup refuser?! grin

UrchinMadeOfAcne Fri 16-Jan-15 15:32:43

My DS is 2.3 and still has a bedtime bottle.

And a morning bottle.

And a nap bottle.

confused

scrivette Fri 16-Jan-15 15:33:54

My 3 year old still has a bedtime bottle!

Pointlessfan Fri 16-Jan-15 15:35:23

My DD is too young to speak from experience but I think you are right. It is better to practise skills like using a cup when not tired at bedtime. Once she us ok with it in the day you can introduce it at bedtime.

FrankelandFilly Fri 16-Jan-15 15:35:49

From my understanding, and talking to a friend who is a dentist, the advice is aimed at the lowest common denominator - ie the parents who would happily let a baby fall asleep in bed with a bottle in their mouth. The risk to teeth is from milk pooling around the teeth and/or not brushing regularly.

If you are not leaving your dd alone with the bottle and brushing her teeth regularly then I don't see any harm.

DoJo Fri 16-Jan-15 15:35:54

Mine is nearly three and has only just dropped his daytime bottles, and still has one at night. If he slept well, I would be so terrified of the consequences that I would NEVER drop it! Don't poke the bear, my friend!

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:36:09

Ah bless him! that because he didn't take to a cup?

I can see my daughter clinging on to it a while longer ! smile

peppapigonaloop Fri 16-Jan-15 15:36:21

I stopped mine at 2.5..not sure why you need to cut it out at one? Won't do her any harm, mine both loved it as a comfort.. Make sure teeth are cleaned properly otherwise can't see the problem!

BadtzMaru Fri 16-Jan-15 15:36:44

My DD had a bedtime bottle until after she was 3. If it's only the one I wouldn't stress about it.

ToastyFingers Fri 16-Jan-15 15:37:36

In real life, most babies I know have a bedtime bottle long after they reach 1.

It's not quite the same but DD still has a bf and bedtime (she's almost 18mo).

I think it's a little mean to take away such a source of comfort, especially cold turkey, One is still so little imo.

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:38:08

Thanks everyone! Its reassuring to know its common to continue bottle use.

She is never left to feed herself and always had her teeth brushed after last bottle so no problem there! smile

Pointlessfan Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:28

Out of interest do you give them the bottle after teeth are brushed?

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:29

My health visitor said 1 is when they recommend moving on to cups, thats why its on my mind.

Laquila Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:33

Whilst it might be unwise to introduce a bottle after 12 months, I really can't see how continuing with one bedtime bottle could do any harm - particularly if you're trying to get her used to a cup during the day. Maybe think about giving her cows milk in her bottle instead of formula now though? Having said that, some people prefer to keep cows milk just for a cup - it's completely up to you.

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:47

Bottle then teeth smile

ScotsWhaHae Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:55

Definitely would not worry about the bedtime bottle.

Gawjushun Fri 16-Jan-15 15:39:55

My DS had a bedtime bottle til 2, then a beaker of milk for about 6 months after. We then managed to get him onto a 'big boy cup' with encouragement! As long as they don't constantly have a bottle in their mouth and are eating solids then I think it's ok.

UrchinMadeOfAcne Fri 16-Jan-15 15:40:28

He just loves his bottle.

He didn't take to the cup.

He brushes teeth at least once a day twice, if I have the fight in me.

I just do not have the energy just yet to try and wean him off. I don't see the harm TBH.

Am I a terrible mother??

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:40:40

I intend to switch to cows milk, much easier on the bank balance grin

Gawjushun Fri 16-Jan-15 15:41:14

PS - health visitor advice will drive you round the bend. Take it with a very large pinch of salt.

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:41:31

Not terrible at all urchin smile

UrchinMadeOfAcne Fri 16-Jan-15 15:42:05

Thank you MrsMaker, have a wine

smile

SingRingPing Fri 16-Jan-15 15:42:27

We had a similar situation and got the an avent soft tip beaker which she will drink milk out of. It's just like her other cups but has a soft top. I agree that as long as she is not spending all day and night sucking the bottle, and teeth washed before bed then there is no problem. However after a year of preparing bottles I couldn't wait to put the damn things away!

MrsMaker83 Fri 16-Jan-15 15:43:23

Ha ha sing, i think i will ditch the steriliser and have cows milk in a clean bottle, a little less faff!

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Fri 16-Jan-15 15:44:05

the advice is aimed at the lowest common denominator this is the problem is usually is.

Op my dd had bottle - not teat until 4/5 at night.

she just liked it - meant no spills she is super clumsy and now at age 8 drinks perfeeclty well from a cup, has no teeth/issues.... all is well.

Relax. your mum advice is general don't panic because its one day past 12 months and baby is still having a cup.

your child will be different and have different needs to the norm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: