Talk

Advanced search

To have walked out?

(65 Posts)
Celestria Fri 16-Jan-15 12:18:49

I was due to start a trial for a job today at 12pm.

I arrived and was shown to the manager. Who immediately started having a go at me. He told me I was late and should have started at 11am.

I know with total certainty that he told me 12pm. I was excited about this job as it was part time within school hours and I also remember him saying 12pm because he wanted to throw me in the deep end at his busiest time.

So naturally once I got over my shock at his attitude, I replied that he had definitely told me 12pm. He replied that he definitely hadn't. Then said, well I suppose you are here now, and snapped at me to follow him.

I didn't. I said, no, I don't think I will. And walked out.

I was nervous enough about starting a new job without being treated so badly when I had not done anything wrong. It was a trial and so I was pretty convinced that he just wanted me to work the next couple of hours then let me go as not suitable or something. Because I was late, except I wasn't.

So, should I have just sucked it up? Pretended that I must have got it wrong and apologised for something I hadn't done? Wibu?

Pigglesworth Fri 16-Jan-15 12:21:32

I think you did the right thing!

HearMyRoar Fri 16-Jan-15 12:22:08

No. I would have walked to. There was no point in staying in a job that started out so badly unless you were absolutely desperate.

In future I would make sure you get details like start times in writing though.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Fri 16-Jan-15 12:22:21

I would have done the same.

He showed you how you could expect to be treated there.

You refused to accept that.

I think you were right.

QuintlessShadows Fri 16-Jan-15 12:23:19

You did the right thing.

And if the job center had "sent" you, let them know. Maybe he just want a lot of people on "trial" to work for free, continuously.

JeffVaderRunsTheDeathStar Fri 16-Jan-15 12:23:29

I agree you did the right thing, I'd have done the same too.

molyholy Fri 16-Jan-15 12:23:44

No - He sounds like an arsehole. I can't believe you were not sent a letter stating your trial start date and the time you were due to start. Seem very unprofessional.

molyholy Fri 16-Jan-15 12:23:55

*Seems

LineRunner Fri 16-Jan-15 12:24:04

Good for you.

Celestria Fri 16-Jan-15 12:24:46

I am still a bit shocked to be honest. I was made up with the job, even though it was nothing special, but the hours were perfect and I had experience. I will find something else, but even if it was unreasonable I would still do the same again.

PresidentTwonk Fri 16-Jan-15 12:25:28

YANBU you did the right thing for definite, maybe next time he will think twice before he talks to someone like that! Sorry the job you were excited about didn't work out though winethanks

Celestria Fri 16-Jan-15 12:25:53

He phoned me to say I'd passed the first stage and it would be a trial. That's why I didn't question the fact the hours were from 11am on the ad but he wanted me in at 12pm. Just presumed it was that time because it was a test run as such. hmm

DropYourSword Fri 16-Jan-15 12:25:57

Aaarghhhh, I'm one of those fools who makes peace by pretending to think I may have been mistaken and got the time wrong. It doesn't do me any favours.

fascicle Fri 16-Jan-15 12:31:15

I would usually advise sticking it out, but what you have described is a deal breaker. He's either an appalling manager, or somebody who decided it was appropriate to test your reactions, or both. There is zero possibility that he would have turned out to be a reasonable boss. Good luck with finding something else with a better employer.

FatChanceCafe Fri 16-Jan-15 12:31:53

I think I may or may not have done the same thing.Nobody deserves to be treated like that . What you could have done is apologised and say You were very sorry you were under the impression it was 12.I hope you didn't turn up bang on 12 tho.

Gawjushun Fri 16-Jan-15 12:32:46

Yeah, if he was comfortable being this shitty to someone he'd just met, imagine how bad it'd be down the line. Just no.

expatinscotland Fri 16-Jan-15 12:35:25

YANBU. He is a dickhead.

YoniMitchell Fri 16-Jan-15 12:35:35

You probably had a lucky escape! I also reckon he was banking on getting some free work out of you at the trial then claiming poor timekeeping as a reason 'it wouldn't work' and not giving you the job.

What an arse of a boss though - I feel sorry for his other employees!

RumbelowSale Fri 16-Jan-15 12:37:18

Applause for you from me! Another job will surely come along,that one working for/with that pig isn't going to be good for you.

I decided I didn't want a quite high position in social services when I presented for interview 10mns before the start time, sat in an outer room while eight interviewers walked past me, all of them not even giving me a nod, a smile, any recognition at all that I was there, and went into the inner room. I could hear chat going on each time the door opened and closed.

Eventually, in their own good time(so late, then) I was called in. They were all seated at a long conference table, with a chair centred on the other side for me.

So once they'd shuffled their papers/picked their noses/whatever, the Head started speaking.

I politely raised my hand,cut her short, and started my speech.

So, for three minutes without hesitation, deviation or repetition I told them exactly what I though of them, their behaviour and what they could do with their poxy job. And then I rose, wished them all 'good morning' and left the room.
To stunned silence.

And I felt greatgrin

NeedABumChange Fri 16-Jan-15 12:37:44

Sorry but I think YABU. So it was a misunderstanding but from his point of view he's been waiting an hour for you, I'd be snappy.

Sounds like you aren't fussed about having this job. Not sure where being told off for being late is considered such appalling treatment?

squoosh Fri 16-Jan-15 12:38:15

He is a cock. Hope his mouth dropped open in shock when you left.

NoImSpartacus Fri 16-Jan-15 12:40:07

YANBU. He would be an arsehole to work for.

Summerisle1 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:41:35

Well done. The man sounds like an utter arsehole and would certainly be a nightmare to work with. I also suspect that he gets quite a lot of free labour out of so-called "trials".

Celestria Fri 16-Jan-15 12:45:24

He had my mobile and my landline number. No attempts to call either seeing as he was so adamant I was supposed to start at 11am. I think it's more he wasn't fussed about whether I worked there or not.

Topseyt Fri 16-Jan-15 12:48:22

It might be possible to argue in this situation that both parties ought to have given each other the benefit of the doubt, but he was clearly not willing to give it to you.

That would not bode well for the future, so on balance I think you did the right thing.

I have had a couple of twats as managers in some jobs I have had and they can make life miserable. I certainly wouldn't knowingly walk into another such situation.

Things happen for a reason, I like to believe. Something else suitable, and perhaps even better will come along in time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: