Talk

Advanced search

To think this is inappropriate journalism?

(11 Posts)
fridgepants Fri 16-Jan-15 11:30:55

www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11712088.Great_British_Chav_Off__Sonnex_v_Prudham_family_____who_wouldn___t_you_want_to_live_near_/Here Both families sound like people I wouldn't want to live next door to, but how is this helping anyone?

fridgepants Fri 16-Jan-15 11:31:51

(Also, the family of 13 bring in £15k a year between them, plus £39k in benefits. That's...not a lot divided between 13 people.)

OTheHugeManatee Fri 16-Jan-15 11:53:35

If you think it's so awful why are you posting it here? I've never heard of this publication and chances are pretty much no-one else on MN has. If you're so shocked it'd be better not to give them the oxygen of publicity surely?

Or are you secretly looking for a good excuse to froth

Icimoi Fri 16-Jan-15 12:01:24

It's a perfectly legitimate issue which really doesn't justify jumping on the OP for the sake of being bloody minded, which frankly is what Manatee's post looks like.

I for one have heard of this publication, and I agree that article is appalling. It's classically in the vein of the type of monstering of poor people that papers like the Mail and the Express indulge in, but it takes it further. If people who have to claim benefits are to be regarded as the press as legitimate personal targets whom they encourage their readers to vilify, it's potentially highly dangerous.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Fri 16-Jan-15 12:04:18

The paper is a local weekly in SE London and Kent. It's usually quite good!

fridgepants Fri 16-Jan-15 12:16:59

I grew up somewhere which was rough as badgers, with an estate/families with poor local reputations, amongst other social problems. I've never seen the local paper there report on people in this way. I guess I'd expect to see it in The Sun or the Star but it feels very uncomfortable in a local paper.

OTheHugeManatee - because I wanted to complain to the PCC about it but am not sure that I can as my work is tangentially related. So I complained here instead so I don't angry up my blood.

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 16-Jan-15 12:27:01

It is disgusting. It also doesn't appear to be factually correct

Empha14 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:19:38

Err the site is registered to an address in Turkey, to a residential address as a sole individual not a company. NOT a reliable source. Almost as bad as The Daily Bale (Not Mail I mean Bale)

fromparistoberlin73 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:45:53

Hardly journalism is it !!!!

That said given the topic and it's readership I am not exactly frothing about it .

sarkymare Fri 16-Jan-15 15:01:26

that is just awful.

Have you read the comments on it? So depressing.

ArsenicFaceCream Fri 16-Jan-15 16:09:31

Not particularly inclined to click that TBH.

Most journalism is freelance these days. There will always be someone who will write nonsense for money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: