Advanced search

To not know how to handle this?

(31 Posts)
Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 09:57:27

My ds has a medical condition which amongst many other things results in him being overweight.
There is a girl in his class who has started to be picked up by his grandmother. The grandmother doesn't speak any English. She has taken a liking to me and ds and tries to chat with me at pick up time. Unfortunately I can't understand anything she says, I'm not sure which language it is shock
Now I think but I'm not sure that she is trying to give me advice about ds's weight, because the one word I did pick out is endicronologist.
I find it embarrassing that I don't understand her, I just smile and nod though.
Where it gets tricky now though is that she has taken to talking to ds, and to patting his tummy when she sees him, and ds really hates it.
How can I deal with this without offending her, when we don't speak the same language?

Writerwannabe83 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:00:41

She can't speak English, you can't understand anything she says but she can say Endocrinologist and know what field of medicine they work in grin

That's impressive grin

Next time she pats your son's stomach you should pat hers grin

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:02:43

She said endicronologist in her language, it just sounded the same! Not sure if you're saying I'm making it up, I'm overreacting or she's wrong or what?

Why wouldn't she know what field of medicine they work in?

Writerwannabe83 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:04:12

Sorry, no I'm not implying you are making it up, I do believe you as I know a lot of medical profession titles are very similar irrespective of language. Apologies if my post read differently flowers

Surely if she said and meant endocrinologist and it sounds the same in her language as it does in english,then there will be many other words that are quite easy to pick out?

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:07:07

No, truly not!

pinkyredrose Fri 16-Jan-15 10:07:30

What the hell's happened to this place lately? !

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:08:52

I am German, the word for endicronologist is Endikronologe in German, does that mean somebody who doesn't know German would understand me if I spoke to them?

emotionsecho Fri 16-Jan-15 10:10:44

Does the child she picks up speak English? You don't indicate ages in your post, but could you at least ask the girl what language her grandmother is speaking, or failing that one of the teachers? You could then perhaps print out what you want to say to her via an internet translation service (or ask on here!).

LadyLuck10 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:11:21

You are making assumptions here about who knows what. If you don't like her touching your son then tell her.

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:12:32

How do I tell her when she doesn't understand English?

NewNameForBoobThread Fri 16-Jan-15 10:13:19

Diamond, I have no idea why people are questioning the endocrinologist bit. It's very often the more technical words which are similar between different languages.

As for how to handle it, that's really tricky. Have you made it clear you don't understand? Any ideas at all what language she's speaking?

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:13:34

This is year 3. Yes should maybe try to ask the teacher about the language.

LadyLuck10 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:13:37

Just shake your head and say no, no when she touches his stomach.

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:15:32

When she speaks to me I shake my head at times, smile and say I don't understand.

I think it must be Russian/Eastern European.

crazylady12 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:28:25

I mum in my daughter's class always chats to me she love my youngest she's talking English I think: s but has a really strong accent I feel really bad that I sometimes just nod and laugh just ignore it it's only a few minutes a day ha

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 10:35:50

I don't mind at all when she talks to me but I just want her to leave ds alone

crazylady12 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:44:53

Next time she touches his belly just put your hand on.hers and say no and shake your head

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 11:03:10

Ok... Will try to be assertive yet friendly smile

26Point2Miles Fri 16-Jan-15 11:07:52

pinky why so rude??

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 11:13:06

Only just saw pinky's post... What does odfod mean?

pinkyredrose Fri 16-Jan-15 11:21:59

Apologies. After the other troll threads I thought this was another one!

TheFecklessFairy Fri 16-Jan-15 11:47:43

ODFOD - Oh do fuck off, dear (for Diamondring)

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 11:53:53

Oh shock

Diamondring Fri 16-Jan-15 11:54:57

What I wrote wasn't that bad was it? It really is true!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now