Advanced search

To hate dealers' advertising stickers on caravan

(16 Posts)
Squills Thu 15-Jan-15 12:33:22

This is a two-fold post - hope this is allowed. First AIBU to feel really peed off at having bought an expensive item to find that the dealer has put his advertising stickers all over it. Not in the windows... oh no, on the outside bodywork! and, secondly, advice on how to remove the sticky mess without ruining the bodywork.

We bought the caravan last year from a dealer - it was one year old and not cheap at over £20,000. When we came to pick it up we saw that the dealer had put four advertising stickers in prominent positions on the sides and rear of the van. We carefully peeled them off as soon as we could but now we're left with the sticky residue. I feel very annoyed that the dealer did this and have written a complaint to them but of course that isn't going to resolve the problem.

So far I've rubbed the areas with a damp fibre cloth and a little washing up liquid but this hasn't been successful.

Does anyone know how these marks can be removed?

FryOneFatManic Thu 15-Jan-15 12:40:08

Get the dealer to remove the marks. It's their fault those marks are there, for putting the stickers on in the first place.

KingJoffreyObviouslyWatchesHol Thu 15-Jan-15 12:42:25

Take it back and get them to remove it.

If the stickers weren't there when you viewed it then they shouldn't be there now.

angelchops Thu 15-Jan-15 12:46:36

I've got a bottle of De-Solv-It Sticky Stuff remover, that really works well. I got it from Lakeland, but I think you can get it on ebay and probably Amazon.

The dealer should have to pay for it though, as its their fault. You're NBU at all.

MariosYoshi Thu 15-Jan-15 12:54:43

Try this stuff, friends i know have used it and swear by it, just do a test area first to be sure.

HappyAgainOneDay Thu 15-Jan-15 12:57:33

White spirit? You had bought the caravan so it was yours. The dealer had no right to interfere with your property. Vandalism?

StarsOfTrackAndField Thu 15-Jan-15 12:57:42

The phrase 'sticky residue' made me giggle.

chocolateyy Thu 15-Jan-15 13:48:12

Would polish work?

I use that to take the sticky marks off the soles of my shoes, works a treat

LurkingHusband Thu 15-Jan-15 13:50:25

Washing up liquid can ruin the finish on a van, as can white spirits.

The only polish I would use is "Mer" (bloody hard work).

SistersOfPercy Thu 15-Jan-15 14:35:20

Wd40 is the best thing ever at removing sticky stuff and won't damage the surface.

Car dealers do it too, very annoying YANBU

iklboo Thu 15-Jan-15 14:37:51

Nail varnish remover is good for removing sticky residue - and without removing paint etc.

SistersOfPercy Thu 15-Jan-15 14:42:51

Acetone based nail polish can and does take certain types of paint, I'd be very very wary of using that.
Lighter fluid is also good.

StarsOfTrackAndField Thu 15-Jan-15 14:49:28

On an unrelated note...£20,000 for a used caravan? Jesus Christ in a Nissan Sunny!

Is it made of solid gold with champagne coming out of the taps?

Sallyingforth Thu 15-Jan-15 14:52:30

Not a help I know but I wouldn't get the dealer to remove it.
He'll use anything to hand and probably damage the paintwork.

BadgersRetreat Thu 15-Jan-15 15:56:48

WD40 as a pp said - it even says it gets adhesive off things on the can. It's ace.

darkness Thu 15-Jan-15 16:58:23

lighter fluid will dissolve the adhesion of most glues
( the mushy remnants will need wiping off)
and unlike wd40 not leave oil on paintwork
dont smoke whilst working though [hmm}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now