Talk

Advanced search

not sure what to think?

(7 Posts)
onemiddlefinger Thu 15-Jan-15 11:07:57

I had a friend I met though the NCT group, during the first year of our DC we became fairly close and would meet up often. I wouldn't say we were best friends, but due to us being new mums, living close to each other and generally being in similar situations we got on well and I did think this would possibly be a start of a long friendship.
Anyway things changed when I started work again (she worked from home part-time), it was difficult to find time to meet up, but it felt like I was the one making the effort and she just couldn't do any of the times I suggested.
The last time she emailed back saying she would let me know when she can meet up, this was about 8 months ago.
I didn't contact her again after this as I felt she just wasn't interested anymore and I didn't want to make it awkward by bothering her again.
I obviously wondered whether I had done or said something or it was just never going to be a long term friendship.
Then out of the blue I got an email from her recently, she apologised for not keeping up and explained her new situation (new baby, house move etc) but sort of vaguely (like she had a another baby, which I think is huge news , but she didn't say the name, when etc...). I responded in a similar general polite manner and mentioned at the end that it would be nice to catch up properly etc.
Nothing from her again for a few weeks now.
AIBU to think it's strange?
If she is not bothered with the friendship then why the email?
I guess I'm just trying to understand what is the thought process behing sending this email after 8 months and then nothing again?
I don't quite know where I stand with her now, I had already "written off" the friendship.

Theboodythatrocked Thu 15-Jan-15 11:09:57

Overthinking it op.

Times move on. She's had another baby and you are at work.

Move on definatly.

LoisWilkerson15 Thu 15-Jan-15 11:12:08

Sounds like she feels guilty for not keeping in touch so has reached out but still isn't bothered about meeting up. Sorry, it sucks but at least you know you haven't done anything wrong.

KirjavaTheCat Thu 15-Jan-15 11:12:55

Could be she felt guilty for just going off-radar like that. And perhaps the new baby has made her feel a bit isolated, so she's reaching out to old friends again, for some company?

I'd feel weird about it too.

SaucyJack Thu 15-Jan-15 11:15:06

She probably feels guilty that she doesn't have time for you any more and was trying to explain.

Doesn't mean she wants to rekindle the friendship tho.

fairylightsbackintheloft Thu 15-Jan-15 13:54:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onemiddlefinger Thu 15-Jan-15 16:49:46

Thanks everyone!
I suppose I will continue to consider this friendship ended, maybe she did feel guilty and just wanted to apologise.
Who knows.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: