Talk

Advanced search

to feel gutted that I've lost half a million pounds

(101 Posts)
pollyisntere Wed 14-Jan-15 21:27:12

I sold my normal house in a scruffy part of London 10 years ago to move to Wales. I made a bit but not that much. I've just seen that it sold 5 months ago for half a million more than I got for it. I feel like such an idiot, that would have been half a million tax free. Guttedsad

OP’s posts: |
DamnBamboo Wed 14-Jan-15 21:42:00

I'll make you feel better OP.
My parents sold their house in the Bishops Park Estate in Fulham in the 80s.
They sold it for aroudn 180k.

it is now worth around £2million.

See, there are others worth off smile

in all seriousness, sort yourself aht

DamnBamboo Wed 14-Jan-15 21:42:16

worse off

gamerchick Wed 14-Jan-15 21:46:45

Yeah but on the bright side you've avoided living in the toilet of the UK for 10 years.

I can understand though.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 14-Jan-15 21:48:39

I'd rather not have the half million than have to live like a hamster on a wheel in London for even a week. grin
Count yourself lucky OP, Wales is so lovely and laid back after London, surely.

GertrudePerkins Wed 14-Jan-15 21:48:47

we bought at the previous peak in SE London, sold in the 2008 dip. Made enough to cover our moving costs and bog all else. Would have made bazillions more if we'd sold today (basically would have doubled our money).

however, selling today we wouldn't have been able to move our jobs out of London, as they all dried up after 2008, so it's all theoretical.

BlinkAndMiss Wed 14-Jan-15 21:49:47

Well if we could all predict the future the world would be a very different place. I'd move on, there is nothing to gain from 'what ifs'.

Consider the people who are forced to sell their houses at a loss, at least you made something. And you moved to Wales which is much better than a 'scruffy part of London'. Rentals can cost a bloody fortune to maintain and mortgage in the first place, never mind the damage that can be caused by tenants who don't look after the property. It could have cost you half a million in the last 10 years.

Apatite1 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:51:29

Well. Frankly, I think it's not unreasonable to have a moan about what could have been. My in laws held on to their ordinary home in London: it's now worth £3 million. They did nothing but live in it, it hasn't even been updated since the 80s. There are a lot of people who lost out of incredible house price increases by selling in London and buying elsewhere relatively stagnant. Ok, so you didn't actually lose any money, but you could have sold a bog standard london house and moved mortgage free into a great house in Wales by now. I don't think you are being unreasonable to think "what if?", you're allowed a little moan surely?

DamnBamboo Wed 14-Jan-15 21:51:44

Easy gamer
Born and bred Londoner here smile

I can think of many worse places to be honest.

ChaiseLounger Wed 14-Jan-15 21:53:49

I'm still laughing at fight-or-flights brad Pitt disclosure!!

CornishCreamPuff Wed 14-Jan-15 21:54:31

It's threads like this that make me want to never sell up in London. Even though one day we want to move to the countryside, we will rather rent out our London home and rent somewhere in the country rather than stepping out of the London property market.
The problem with selling up and moving out is that it's usually a one way journey - once off the London property ladder there is usually no way back.

GreenPetal94 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:54:33

regret is destructive. Wales sounds fab.

Apatite1 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:55:11

Yeah. Like Wales. grin

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Jan-15 21:56:08

Yeah but on the bright side you've avoided living in the toilet of the UK for 10 years

What an ignorant statement

Bakeoffcakes Wed 14-Jan-15 21:58:22

Didn't you know that house prices go up?confused

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Jan-15 21:59:34

You havn't lost it you nana, you never had it.

MrsMot Wed 14-Jan-15 22:00:28

We had a house in west London.
Dh bought it 25 years ago just when it was coming out of Rachman territory. We sold it 10 years ago, making a good profit on it but nothing indecent.
Looking at Zoopla this evening, the house three doors away is now on for £5.3 million.
Utterly bonkers.
We left the area because it had changed beyond belief.
I couldn't have brought my kids up there; we are now just outside London in a lovely village with fantastic, normal friends.
Do I regret the fact we could have made a shedload by staying? Sometimes perhaps but I would have hated being there, we probably would have divorced and my dcs would be nowhere near as happy as they are now.

CeliaLytton Wed 14-Jan-15 22:01:02

I mildly regret that I have never been able to afford to buy (or live) in London and therefore have never made vast amounts of money on property rises. Those who can afford london in the first place are laughing if they ever move out, I know people who have done this and been mortgage free by 40.

But fair play to them, there are loads of people worse off than me, I do own a house with a mortgage which is unlikely to every increase in value by much due to where I live, but it's my home, not an investment and if it sees me out my years I shall be very happy.

Ouchbloodyouch Wed 14-Jan-15 22:02:06

Wales is bloody lovely! What part did you move to?

Bowlersarm Wed 14-Jan-15 22:04:05

Us too, and any other Londoner that sold their house 10+ years ago.

mrsrat Wed 14-Jan-15 22:04:15

I had a million share in a company that I paid 3.5pence for that are now worth £35 each and I sold them to help my husbands business at 50pence each . It took me a VERY long time to get over it.........but I did ...... Eventually

TheHappinessTrap Wed 14-Jan-15 22:04:21

The people I bought from sold me a house for £90, up from £60. They made a 3rd. I sold it for £300 so I also made about a 3rd. I fully expect that it will increase in value for the current owners.

gamerchick Wed 14-Jan-15 22:04:30

Sorry to hear that damn wink

I suppose if it's all you've ever known fair dos. I've visited all over the UK and London is the rudest place I've been to. Took me a week to stop coughing at the least afterwards.

Patsyandeddie Wed 14-Jan-15 22:04:51

That's the way the cookie crumbles, 50 years ago my parents sold a house for about £5000, 6 months later the whole area went for development, millions, even in those days! You can't do anything about it, don't let it get to you! X

TheHappinessTrap Wed 14-Jan-15 22:06:00

Oops. 2 3rd. Zzzzz!

BoredChurch Wed 14-Jan-15 22:07:08

I think some posters are taking the OP a little too seriously. Lighten up guys the OP is allowed a moan.

Most of Wales is fab

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in