Talk

Advanced search

Green Party/Dave Cameron

(44 Posts)
slippermaiden Wed 14-Jan-15 21:07:26

I'm (reluctantly) with David Cameron on this one... Why aren't the Green Party invited to a televised debate but UKIP are?? Am I being unreasonable to think they stand a better chance than the Lib Dems?

meglet Wed 14-Jan-15 21:10:19

I don't get it either. who decided to leave the greens out confused . I swear ukip must be giving back handers to get so much publicity.

Theboodythatrocked Wed 14-Jan-15 21:12:13

I agree too.

slippermaiden Wed 14-Jan-15 21:12:43

I'm not even very politically minded but UKIP bother me and I have voted green in the past due to poor offerings by all the other parties.

calmexterior Wed 14-Jan-15 21:25:59

I don't understand why the Green Party can't be included either?

DontstepontheMomeRaths Wed 14-Jan-15 21:36:06

Yanbu I agree

Oodbrain Wed 14-Jan-15 21:37:08

It's a strange day when I find myself agreeing with Cameron and Mathew Wright (caught part of Wright stuff this am).
I feel dirty

Teeste Wed 14-Jan-15 21:38:34

This is the only time Cameron and I have agreed on anything. Yanbu.

Electriclaundryland Wed 14-Jan-15 21:43:16

The only reason I can think he's doing this is that UKIP will split the right wing vote, he wants the greens to do the same for the left.

APlaiceInTheSun Wed 14-Jan-15 21:47:20

I agree, and yes it's most odd to be on the same side as DC however I'm sure our motives are a bit different, I actually want to hear what the Greens have to say.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 14-Jan-15 21:48:03

I think the greens should be included - I don't think that's really why he is doing it though

I guess the TV networks can choose who they like

I agree with Electric though

Theboodythatrocked Wed 14-Jan-15 21:50:08

^^ yes good point Electric

Thereyouarepeter Wed 14-Jan-15 21:58:59

oh come on. David Cameron doesn't give a fuck about the green party! He just doesn't want to be involved in a debate. He knows if he plays it safe the conservatives should be government again. Why give Labour the platform.

slippermaiden Wed 14-Jan-15 22:06:04

Yeah I'd like to hear what the Greens have to offer. All the other parties really don't share my values/principles.

FyreFly Wed 14-Jan-15 22:12:30

Actually I agree. If anyone needs to be left out, it should be the Lib Dems.

If they're doing it by vote share, then the Greens are trouncing the Lib Dems in all the recent polls and elections.

If they only want the traditional "main" parties, then why is UKIP being included?

I suspect they feel the main three parties need to be included, and they've added Farage as the entertainment to draw viewers.

TheBuskersDog Wed 14-Jan-15 22:19:37

I'm another who never thought I'd say I'm with Dave!
Only because I think they have as much right to be included as UKIP, as do Sinn Fein, Plaid Cymru, SNP etc.

Why are UKIP being treated as a major party when they have 2 MPs?

I really hope Al Murray gets more votes than Farage in the election.

ScotsWhaHae Wed 14-Jan-15 22:20:30

The,SNP have more of a right to a space in the debates than either UKIP or the Greens. They have more MPs than either of them.

Anyone making a noise about that?

Hillingdon Wed 14-Jan-15 22:20:56

I have to say that Nigel Farage will come off as the best speaker, Ed Milliband will be awful. God help us if he and Ed Balls are in charge of the nations finances.

ScotsWhaHae Wed 14-Jan-15 22:22:30

Nigel Farage will hang himself, you just need to give him enough rope.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 14-Jan-15 22:23:36

it's two separate issues

should the green party be included - yes

is dave motivated by this really - no

ergo I most certainly do NOT agree with Dave but I do think the greens should take part - much more so than Farage (although it gives him the chance to expose himself as an arse)

NotGoingOut17 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:38:04

The decision was made by Ofcom. On a personal level I would like to see the Greens because I have an interest in their policies but don't for one minute believe that Cameron gives that much of a fuck about them that he is willing to give up the chance for the Tories to be represented. It is clearly a tactical move by him because he is scared of attending the debate.

Hillingdon Wed 14-Jan-15 22:43:54

Nigel Farage is a good speaker, 2 yrs ago no one admitted to voting for him, now there are plenty on MN and of course one never knows who anyone votes for on the day!

He won't get my vote, however does anyone really think the country will be safe in the hands of Labour? Really?

NotGoingOut17 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:46:02

And in terms of the Lib Dems (and I am by no mean a fan and am not really bothered about anything Clegg has to say) despite what is likely to happen after the GE they are currently a major party and part of the ruling Government soI don't think it would be appropriate to leave them out despite their unpopularity. And they should be given the opportunity to defend the policies they have played a part in and the other parties have the right to question them. Whether they'll be getting an invite for future general elections is a different matter ....

NotGoingOut17 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:50:25

To be honest I'm not sure I want to see any of them speak, the offerings are depressing... I have no idea who I will be voting for

Sallyingforth Wed 14-Jan-15 23:01:19

Electric had it correctly above:

The only reason I can think he's doing this is that UKIP will split the right wing vote, he wants the greens to do the same for the left.

Cameron can easily stand up to Miliband in the debate. He does it every week in the Commons, and usually comes out on top. But if he's going to lose votes to UKIP, he wants Labour to lose votes to the Greens.

Leaving out the Greens was not the broadcasters' decision, it was Ofcom who made this proposal which is still out for consultation and could be changed.

Full details here if anyone wishes to respond to the consultation:
stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/major-parties-15/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: