Talk

Advanced search

To think it bad taste for people to be selling Charlie Ebdo on Ebay

(17 Posts)
StuntBottom Wed 14-Jan-15 14:05:01

The special issue is apparently going for three figures. Seems very wrong to me that people are profitting from these deaths.

Nancy66 Wed 14-Jan-15 14:07:37

I agree. Was always going to happen though.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Wed 14-Jan-15 14:12:00

Yep its wrong.

The magazine themselves have increased their print run from the usual 60,000 to 5 million so I guess they're profiting too.

ApocalypseThen Wed 14-Jan-15 14:18:23

I don't see the problem, to be honest. It's hardly like the motive for the attack was the sale by any channel of the magazine.

InfinitySeven Wed 14-Jan-15 14:20:11

The magazine aren't profiting. All proceeds are going to the victims families.

MajesticWhine Wed 14-Jan-15 14:20:30

It wouldn't have occurred to me to be bothered by that.

BeCool Wed 14-Jan-15 14:24:16

Do you also think it is bad taste to buy it? or just to sell it?

BeCool Wed 14-Jan-15 14:27:53

what about selling the "Je Suis Charlie" t-shirts on ebay - do you think that is bad taste too?

I think YABU - a fool and their money are easily parted etc. If people want to spend their money on tshirts and overpriced magazines that is their choice. I don't think any taste is involved.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Wed 14-Jan-15 14:32:05

I didn't know the magazine were giving their profits to the victims families. That's good.

But the people that have bought a copy specifically to sell on ebay, some of which are apparently priced at hundreds of pounds, are no different to people who buy a bunch of concert tickets to flog on there for a massive profit - I just don't agree with it, and the fact that in this case they're making money out the brutal killing of numerous people makes it even more disgusting.

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Wed 14-Jan-15 14:37:13

its a key moment in history and anyone buying the magazine is buying that.

StuntBottom Wed 14-Jan-15 14:38:09

I think it's how quickly they're on eBay which has raised my eyebrow. It seems grasping and somewhat disrespectful. I don't think I'd have commented if it were a second hand copy being sold in a few week's time.

The t-shirts don't seem as bad. At least you're showing support and solidarity by wearing one of those so they have a purpose.

Marphe Wed 14-Jan-15 14:41:03

I'd be surprised if it's necessary to pay over the odds for it. Aren't they going to release another print run?

I don't really see any difference to selling any other secondhand comic or magazine though. I can see why people wold can to keep a copy for posterity but with so many in circulation and likely to be kept, I can't see it being a valuable collectors item.

MagratsHair Wed 14-Jan-15 14:41:36

Hebdo.

curiousgeorgie Wed 14-Jan-15 14:43:42

One copy was going for 1500... It's crazy...

And if the proceeds are going to victims families then the ebay sellers should donate something..

seaoflove Wed 14-Jan-15 14:45:22

There is nothing people won't put on eBay for a quick buck.

But with a print run of (IIRC) three million, I don't think there's a chance of it being a collector's item. And if you buy it at a newsstand, at least the profits go to the right people.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Wed 14-Jan-15 14:47:32

One current on ebay ending in 30 mins, current bid £95,500... looks like some of these sales are being sabotaged.

UriGeller Wed 14-Jan-15 14:52:14

bad taste? I would have thought that Charlie Hebdo are absolutely rofling their socks off at the sheer irreverence of it. isn't bad taste what they are all about?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: