Talk

Advanced search

To think this offensive thing should be banned

(107 Posts)
InanimateCarbonRod Wed 14-Jan-15 13:00:10

Fresh coriander <boak>. To me, when I eat it accidentally, it tastes like nasty bitter soap.

I've got a lovely spiced Indian chicken breast with KEENOWAH quinoa for lunch from the local deli and there is coriander chopped up into millions of little bits and I can't pick it out.

On second thoughts maybe this should go into the first world problems thread.

ilikepie Wed 14-Jan-15 13:03:20

yes, i agree. it tastes like washing up liquid to me!

KirjavaTheCat Wed 14-Jan-15 13:07:31

Yabu! I love it. And fresh parsley.

You haven't tasted parsley until you've had fresh tabbouleh.

Herbs taste better raw.

Fudgeface123 Wed 14-Jan-15 13:08:57

it's vile, should be abolished along with celery

echt Wed 14-Jan-15 13:10:18

Apparently it's a genetic thing. Some people taste coriander differently.

They can't help it, you can't help it.

Bowlersarm Wed 14-Jan-15 13:10:31

I absolutely love it.

You aren't alone though, I'm always amazed how many people don't like it.

MagicMojito Wed 14-Jan-15 13:10:40

Oooh ya soooooo bu. Fresh coriander on lamb tagine..... Drool

CMOTDibbler Wed 14-Jan-15 13:11:03

I hate coriander leaf, and to me it spoils anything it is added to. tastes like soap to me too, which is apparently a genetic thing

InanimateCarbonRod Wed 14-Jan-15 13:15:48

Now see I love a huge bunch of fresh parsley. Chopped, whole, doesn't matter. I thought that it was parsley in my lunch. Damn coriander angry

MrsHathaway Wed 14-Jan-15 13:16:53

It's genetic. DM agrees with you, DB, DF and I disagree.

MORE FOR ME.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Wed 14-Jan-15 13:17:09

YANBU. Disgusting stuff grin

Marphe Wed 14-Jan-15 13:17:51

Yes, Soap, that's what I always used to say it tastes of. I think perhaps you learn to appreciate it as you gain a more sophisticated palate grin Since I've learned to cook real food and become a proper foodie I love it.

treaclesoda Wed 14-Jan-15 13:18:04

I once had food poisoning after eating a curry in an Indian restaurant and I couldn't bear the taste of coriander for years because it reminded me so much of that curry.

But I got over it and recovered grin

iklboo Wed 14-Jan-15 13:18:18

I love it. Grilled chicken breast, lemon mayo, lots of fresh coriander in a warm pitta or flatbread. Mmmmmm. I've also read it's genetic though.

momb Wed 14-Jan-15 13:19:44

YABU.
Coriander good. Tarragon bad, but less common these days so I don't need start a thread!

CundtBake Wed 14-Jan-15 13:20:11

YANBU. Coriander and rocket are the devils creations.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 14-Jan-15 13:20:15

I love parsley but if I unexpectedly encounter fresh coriander it's a horrible shock. I don't react to it cooked though, it's just the fresh stuff. Absolutely vile.

YABU though in calling for a ban because some people like it. I'd say it should come with a big red warning notice.

MrsGolightly Wed 14-Jan-15 13:20:41

my favourite herb - LOVE it. YABU wink

NoImSpartacus Wed 14-Jan-15 13:21:03

YANBU

It should be illegal. Disgusting stuff that has ruined many a lovely takeaway, etc.

SaucyMare Wed 14-Jan-15 13:21:14

Oh good, thought it was only me.

ElviraCondomine Wed 14-Jan-15 13:27:24

I love fresh coriander - it's beautiful stuff
My FIL is another person to whom it tastes like washing up liquid.

fieldfare Wed 14-Jan-15 13:30:32

It's horrible and poisons any dish it comes into contact with. Luckily dh and I have the same opinion, it tastes all soapy.
Parsley is another matter and we eat a lot of it!

cozietoesie Wed 14-Jan-15 13:32:49

Fresh coriander leaves are wonderful but I remember growing some coriander once and touching the seeds before they were ripe and dry. The smell was so completely disgusting that I threw up on the spot in the garden - and for several days, just the memory of the smell was enough to have my stomach heaving. Be careful if you're cultivating.

CitronVert Wed 14-Jan-15 13:35:14

I live coriander but it does taste soapy. I really like those Asian flavours like ginger which is another marmite one (love marmite too).

Tarragon can, however, fuck off.

RoundYonPreMadonna Wed 14-Jan-15 13:36:24

Coriander is delicious.

Bananas, however, are vile and evil.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: