Talk

Advanced search

To go to the theatre/cinema on my own?

(70 Posts)
Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 10:26:20

I actually think I'm not in anyway BU but I my best friends thinks it's really odd! I suspect she feels sorry for me that I have to go on my own (I don't have to, I just do).

I'd love to get the general consensus on this.

LadyLuck10 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:29:09

Yanbu, I haven't but if I had the time I would.

EatDessertFirst Wed 14-Jan-15 10:29:56

Sounds like bliss to me! No phone, no bickering kids and a good film plus calorific snacks!

iwantgin Wed 14-Jan-15 10:30:25

Why not? It's the one place where you can't converse with your companion anyway.

Saying that I still haven't been alone - but feel that I could and would now if there was something I really wanted to see.

HarlotOTara Wed 14-Jan-15 10:31:53

I love going to the cinema on my own - especially during the day and often do it. Not weird at all

ReverseTheTrend Wed 14-Jan-15 10:32:13

I do regularly. Have DH and friends so it is through choice. Can see what I want to see when I want. It's not like you can talk during showing anyway!

lifelorn Wed 14-Jan-15 10:32:21

I lived abroad for a while and DH was busy working. I found it very liberating to just go to the cinema without having to justify why or which film. I also went to the theatre and on booking a late deal for 1 ticket I had an amazing seat.

The only downside is you have no-one to say " I like the bit when...." so, post film discussion is missing.

LaurieMarlow Wed 14-Jan-15 10:32:47

Perfectly reasonable thing to do. I LOVE going to the cinema/theatre by myself. If you enjoy your own company, it's a real treat. Why let your friend hold you back?

wowfudge Wed 14-Jan-15 10:34:23

I've done both: what do you if no one else is interested in the same thing otherwise? Miss it? I don't think so. I think your friend is a bit patronising - not offering to go with you, is she!

CLJ52 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:36:00

Do it all the time! Used to do it because I was single, but actually would prefer to go on own than with a friend because most of my friends would talk through a film. angry I am now married to an avid filmgoer but he's also a noisy popcorn muncher so still go solo.

The only time I feel uncomfortable is if it's a funny film and I get a laughing fit which continues after others have calmed down...

Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 10:38:36

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one then!!

She's no shrinking violet so I'm not sure why she finds it odd. She has a larger social circle than me and no children so I think it's a case of "poor sad friend has no baby sitters and no friends and no life so has to go on her own" hmm

I've just decided to go next week and wont be bothering to ring round friends to see who wants to join me. If my friends were free to go out the same evening as me I'd rather go to dinner so we can chat, not sit in a dark room!

I did fall asleep once though at the cinema during a 3 hour long live showing of the royal ballets sleeping beauty! And missed the best bloody bit!

sillymillyb Wed 14-Jan-15 10:41:19

I LOVE the cinema on my own - I get a bit stressed and disappointed if people want to come with me because then I have to worry about if we are doing what they want too.

I also used to live with a load of west end performers many years ago in london, so would often go and get a single ticket to see them or their friends in a show. I never felt like I was there on my own though as I was meeting them afterwards - but it was still lovely smile

Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 10:41:37

Actually I think I might see if she wants to come next week, so that when she says she can't I can tell her I'm going on my own, just to wind her up!! (we have that kind of friendship!!)

grin

FallenAngel22 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:42:40

I've done both cinema and theatre alone! I really enjoyed it.

echt Wed 14-Jan-15 10:43:29

Not sure why this is an AIBU as you haven't said why your friend thinks it's odd. Your posts say "I think" "I'm not sure" "I suspect".

This is all about you, not her.

Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 10:46:53

She definitely thinks it's weird. It's the endless shockhmm looks and the 'helpful' ideas to find a solution that gives it away!!

I have no idea why though. I haven't asked her.

FriendlyLadybird Wed 14-Jan-15 10:48:28

I've done both.

The first time DH went to the ballet he went on his own and absolutely loved it. He said he didn't want to go with me because I wouldn't have been experiencing it for the first time, and he was worried that his 'wonder' would be diluted. He would choose the Bolshoi doing Giselle, though -- I was green with envy!

echt Wed 14-Jan-15 10:57:04

So this thread is based on, er…fuck all. What does friend suggest? What are her "helpful" ideas? What is implied by your references to her shock hmm

More to the point OP, why don't you actually say what your friend's reservations about lone cinema/theatre excursions are?

50shadesofknackered Wed 14-Jan-15 11:01:10

I love going to the cinema on my own. Its a couple of hours of time on my own, where I can't be disturbed as phone is off and I know kids are safe with dh. I really enjoy it, go and ignore what other people think.

Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 11:04:14

Jesus echt, who are you, the Post Police?!

I think you need to take a chill pill.

RiverTam Wed 14-Jan-15 11:10:27

oh, I love it, went to see The Hobbit on Sunday by myself, could wallow in Thorin and Thranduil's loveliness without DH on my shoulder, as it were grin. With the journey there and back (with my book) it was a good 5 hours by myself. Perfect.

Cooki3Monst3r Wed 14-Jan-15 11:11:17

5 hours... dreamy!!! smile

PrivatePike Wed 14-Jan-15 11:14:02

Most of my friends are like this too! Incredibly lovely people (naturally!), but mention that I love a solo cinema trip to them, and eyebrows will be raised. There's a definite 'Oh...that's a shame' sort of tone.

RiverTam Wed 14-Jan-15 11:14:25

I know! I had to go to a cinema quite far away as it's been out a while and I wanted to see it in 2D, so the journey there took a while. Had a good book, sat in a Pret to eat a sandwich, cinema was lovely with loads of leg room.

I might have to do it as a regular thing.

echt Wed 14-Jan-15 11:15:45

Just looking for clarity. This is AIBU after all. If you don't give the detail, we don't get to say.

So much easier to say for me to adjust my attitude rather than you get to the point od your OP

Ohhh…I see.. you posted saying you weren't unreasonable. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: