Talk

Advanced search

to take my housemate's...

(23 Posts)
ShowMeYourTARDIS Tue 13-Jan-15 20:05:43

cat when I move out? He completely ignores her most of the time. She is so sweet and friendly, but I never see him really pet her (only in passing) or see her in his room. She's always coming up to me, into my room, etc. He had two cats, but I haven't seen the other one for several weeks. sad

Okay, I wouldn't really, but why get such a loving cat and not cuddle it?

DesperatelySeekingSanity Tue 13-Jan-15 20:22:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 13-Jan-15 20:25:23

leave the window/door open?

make it look like it ran away?

Quitelikely Tue 13-Jan-15 20:29:18

Have you asked him if he would like you to take if? If not why not? I don't see the harm in asking.......

ShowMeYourTARDIS Tue 13-Jan-15 20:29:49

She is an indoor/outdoor cat. The other one was too, so he probably ran away or got hit by a car. sad Housemate is a jerk in general. My window is open (it's really nice today) and she invited herself in. After a cuddle session, she is now snoozing peacefully on my bed getting cat hair everywhere.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 13-Jan-15 20:41:13

envy

Sounds so tempting.

Poor baby

ShowMeYourTARDIS Wed 14-Jan-15 03:53:56

She's not actually neglected, as she's clean, well-fed, free of parasites etc. She just craves attention and she's not getting it from my housemate.

AwkwardNameChangeSituation Wed 14-Jan-15 03:56:22

Maybe he's just a liberal parent?

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 14-Jan-15 11:41:13

If he isn't that into her he might sell her to you. But cats are territorial and don't like moving to another neighbourhood. If you are thinking of the cat you won't take her. She'll find another sucker cat lover near by who will stroke her and let her sleep on a warm comfy bed.

GoringBit Wed 14-Jan-15 12:47:43

If you can (and want to) adopt the cat, could you suggest it to your flatmate? It sounds like you, he and the cat might all be happier that way.

GoringBit Wed 14-Jan-15 12:49:56

FWIW, we've moved our cat from London to Lincoln to London to Lincoln over a period of 20 years, and she's always been totally fine.

InanimateCarbonRod Wed 14-Jan-15 12:52:55

Poor baby. I would take her and feign ignorance.

Despite their reputation of being indifferent and independent some do need cuddles and attention. 3 of my 4 certainly do and will come running for cuddles when we get home, purring loudly when they are scratched.

InanimateCarbonRod Wed 14-Jan-15 12:54:40

Forgot to add - BoomBoom that's not entirely accurate. We're practically nomadic and our boys have travelled a lot further than most moggies with no issues settling into their new homes. It takes a few days to settle but that applies to the whole family not just the cats!

IsadoraQuagmire Wed 14-Jan-15 13:10:23

I would. I stole a neglected kitten (about 6 months old) from a squat where someone I knew was living. Long story, but the owners (eg irresponsible bastards who hadn't neutered the mother cat) didn't feed her or look after her, and there were big dogs in the house that she was scared of. She spent most of her life shut out of the owner's room, sitting on the stairs and scavenging for food.
I stole her in the dead of night, a couple of days after I first saw her, it was great fun! smile

googoodolly Wed 14-Jan-15 13:17:59

We did this when my flatmate got evicted. About a year before he got two kittens from a friend whose house cat got out and got pregnant. He brought them home and then virtually ignored them sad - he never changed their litter said he couldn't afford to buy food or new litter even though he could afford to go out all the time. DP and I paid for everything - insurance, jabs, neutering, food, litter, toys, etc.

Anyway, he eventually got evicted due to non-payment of rent and he tried to take the cats and we had a big fuck-off row about it. I said there was no way in hell he was taking them because he hadn't paid a penny towards them since he'd got them, and I didn't trust that he would look after them properly either.

Anyway, long story short we kept them and they're wonderful. They're cuddly, loving, clean and easy-going and I wouldn't be without them. Ex flatmate has been to visit and collect mail a couple of times since and they clearly don't like him much, so they obviously remember him doing jackshit for them

Catnap it!

NoImSpartacus Wed 14-Jan-15 13:29:18

When I moved in with my best friend I took my two cats and one of them, the boy, my favourite took to her instantly, following her around and even started sleeping with her, next to her face, under the covers with his paw on her forehead shock

I loved that cat but I moved out about seven years ago and he remained with her because he loved her so much how could I separate them!..He is still happily residing with her to this day. I couldn't have taken him away from her, they really love each other smile

Hopefully your flatmate will think along the same lines.

juneybean Wed 14-Jan-15 13:30:20

There was a thread just like this before Christmas and now I want to know what happened!

IsadoraQuagmire Wed 14-Jan-15 14:04:48

NoImSpartacus That's so sweet (but I'd have been wildly jealous to lose my cat to another!) grin

expatinscotland Wed 14-Jan-15 14:10:31

Take her. He'll be none the wiser. Our cats have moved multiple times as we rent and they have been fine.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 14-Jan-15 14:19:14

ShowmeyourTARDIS I'd hope that the missing cat has, as cats will, moved to another house more to it's liking, if it isn't getting the fussing from your housemate that it wants!

NoisyOyster Thu 15-Jan-15 05:10:15

Did you post about this last year op?

been longing for an update

Tyzer85 Thu 15-Jan-15 06:46:37

Gotta love it when users advocate theft.

OP it's not your cat.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Thu 15-Jan-15 17:08:14

No, I haven't posted about this before. She's lonely, not neglected. And I'm not going to take the cat. I'm just tempted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: