Talk

Advanced search

Chalet school fans AIBU to sob bitterly for a bit?

(38 Posts)
listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 12:22:42

Look what I didn't win on ebay. Really couldn't have gone over £325 and then I'd have had to raise some of it back by selling my entire paperback collection

a huge collection of hard backs

Only true fans of old school stories could possibly understand sad AIBU to sob and buy myself hot chocolate and cakes filled with a mountain of lightly whipped cream then sulk up a mountain until I'm rescued by a doctor?

UniS Tue 13-Jan-15 12:27:21

YANBU

squoosh Tue 13-Jan-15 12:30:18

Ooooof. You'll need a few days in the San to recover from that.

Stratter5 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:34:27

DROOOL

morningtoncrescent62 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:40:30

Pull yourself together. Are you a woman or a spineless jellyfish? Go and buy yourself a lime green twin set instead.

Tinuviel Tue 13-Jan-15 13:02:49

Did you see on the photos that the seller didn't even have them in order?! What kind of a person has that many CS books and doesn't put them in chronological order?

squoosh Tue 13-Jan-15 13:04:31

I bet it was some meanie getting rid of recently departed Auntie Hilda's cherished childhood collection.

listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 13:22:59

Sadly Squoosh is probably right. There just wasn't enough love in that listing or the photos.

I would have kept them in beautiful order. I would have scoured ebay and second hand shops until I found their few missing friends and dusted them all every week. I would even have bought them their own bookcase.

I bet the winner is a dealer who will never even read them but break up the collection and sale them individually for maximum profit.

Bitter? Moi?

iwanttogotothechaletschool Tue 13-Jan-15 13:35:29

I long for the day I win the lottery, then I shall haunt ebay for lots like this and bid ludicrous amounts of money in order to own them.

However until then I shall take a leaf out of OOAO's book and be too fine a character to let bitterness spoil me!

listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 18:57:49

I think I'm slowing getting over the disappointment. I indulged myself at kaffee und kuchen then since I couldn't find a mountain flung myself in a lake and awaited rescue. Finally I was hauled out by a lovely man with a big friendly dog. He took me home and dried me off (the man is not the dog). He's a doctor - I think we're getting married (wonder what DP will think).

Seriously? I'm still gutted sad

SockQueen Tue 13-Jan-15 19:19:56

Can't see the item now, but YADNBU.

Maybe ask your new doctor friend for some special milk?

DeWee Tue 13-Jan-15 19:53:57

sad I want it too. sad

kwerty Tue 13-Jan-15 20:05:24

Buck Up, Old Girl!

And isn't it German Day?

hels71 Tue 13-Jan-15 20:08:05

YANBU it is the kind of collection I dream of owning!! Thanks to GGBP I do have a full set of unabridged books...but my shelf would look so much better with lovely hardbacks ...(you do know there is a CS thread in children's books.....)

listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 20:21:54

Kwerty ja aber mein deutsch is nicht zo gut

ChocolateOranges Tue 13-Jan-15 20:45:40

Wow... grin

MrsHathaway Tue 13-Jan-15 20:50:24

YANBU

<adds to hypothetical Euromillions shopping list>

Ilovehamabeads Tue 13-Jan-15 21:11:16

Massive flashback 30 years to my youth seeing that pic of the hardback books. I would love to re-read my old collection again, but sadly they are all long gone. Had completely forgotten they even existed and now have massive urge to reread them. Wonder if i can get for kindle..

Hatespiders Tue 13-Jan-15 21:25:59

I'd be sobbing too, YANBU!
I've got quite a few copies of old school stories.
Does anyone remember Arthur Marshall? He died some years ago, but he used to poke fun at Angela Brazil's books and performed sketches of characters from girls' school stories. He made up titles such as 'Daisy Pulls It Off'.
That era of stories was pure magic.

SallyMcgally Tue 13-Jan-15 21:42:53

YANBU
I drooled over those too. How much did they go or in the end?

listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 21:49:11

£437 Sally. I didnt just drool I bid but clearly (and unsurprisingly) not enough. I had cash to spare but clearly someone had a lot more than me sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 13-Jan-15 21:50:21

It had A Chalet girl from Kenya sad

listsandbudgets Tue 13-Jan-15 21:55:50

Was taht one of those abridged in the paperbacks Ohyoubadkitten? I've got it in paperback

SallyMcgally Tue 13-Jan-15 22:16:32

Oh that's hard to bid and not to win. Off to the splasheries, my lamb; you'll feel much better once you've washed your face and had coffee with one of Anna's lemon biscuits.

MuddlingMackem Tue 13-Jan-15 22:43:11

Thanks to you, listsandbudgets, I've just spent £39 quid with GGBP as there are two Chalets and one La Rochelle in print I need to add to my collection!

And Ilovehamabeads, there are eBook versions of at least some of the titles, so you might want to check it out. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: