Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about this text from ds school

(44 Posts)
myfallingstar Mon 12-Jan-15 17:59:13

Recived a text today saying that their is a bus strike and no buses are running all children are expected to be at school on time and private arrangements should be madehmm

I think it's a little off what arrangemnts should be made exactly if your parents don't drive and they themslefs rely on the buses then what the hell is the school expecting to happen also of people are having to walk to school they have to expect some lateness ffs

This is not the the 1950s were children going to the local school nearst to their home some of the children including dd live over the other side of the LA

nether Mon 12-Jan-15 18:03:40

London?

page here which lists other public transport that is expected to run normally, and what bus tickets will be accepted where.

At least, if walking is the best (or only) option, you'll know hope long it's likely to take even if it means a very early start.

DandyHighwayman Mon 12-Jan-15 18:04:14

I should think they mean do make sure that your contingency plan is up to date, be that car-sharing, taxi-ing, leaving home earlier if walking or whatever

Strikes by their very nature are intended to inconvenience

Of course a bit of a pita, isn't it

nether Mon 12-Jan-15 18:04:49

Sorry, mucked up the link.

Try TfL page here

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Mon 12-Jan-15 18:05:46

Parents responsibility to get children to school so the text is fair enough. If it was work they would still be expected to get in on time.

Frusso Mon 12-Jan-15 18:07:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 12-Jan-15 18:08:16

If secondary school I think YABabitU. It's in London. There are very, few children who are over three miles from school (most LA aren't more than 3 miles across).. Almost all could easily walk in under an hour. The school are presumably trying to set decent expectations. Obviously there will be a few who would have an unreasonable amount of difficulty, but a very small number. Having said that I think officious communications from school are appalling and if your school is anything like mine I would probably be irritated by the tone as they only seem to be capable of sounding like they think all parents are lazy scum brining up feral kids for kicks. So maybe YANBU after all! grin

QuintlessShadows Mon 12-Jan-15 18:08:43

Text is fair enough. Should be possible to get your child to school.

WeAreEternal Mon 12-Jan-15 18:09:01

cycle?
taxi?
lift with friends DCs?
set off earlier to walk?
Train?

It is inconvenient but not really an unreasonable request to expect parents to find an alternative way to get their DCs to school for one week.

myfallingstar Mon 12-Jan-15 18:09:35

I do understand but the tone of the text was a bit harsh and I think. You would have to expect some lateness espically if you don't normally walk to shool your timing may be off even if you leave early

I did think of rc sharing but high school is not like primary were you have close daily contact with other parents

I pretty much know my sons 3 friends parents I just think they could be a bit more understanding

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 18:11:27

If you're in London some buses will be running but very limited

myfallingstar Mon 12-Jan-15 18:13:01

I don't have issue getting re getting the children in it's the lateness bit I find a bit off you have to expect some lateness confused

ilovesooty Mon 12-Jan-15 18:13:15

It's a one day strike. The school is simply indicating that they will be open as normal and normal attendance and punctuality is expected. That seems reasonable to me.
And as for your timing being off if you don't normally walk - surely a quick look on Google maps should tell you how long it should take?

LIZS Mon 12-Jan-15 18:14:09

How old is ds? Tbh there has been notice of the strike and previous experience probably anticipates that some will be contemplating a casual day off as a result. In London the transport network should mean that no one would need to walk that far or be late if they leave in good time. The instruction will apply as much to staff as kids.

Unidentifieditem Mon 12-Jan-15 18:14:54

While many boroughs/LA are no more than 3 miles, a 1 hour walk with a child under 10 is hardly going to be bearable in current weather ffs. In London however you ought to be able to get the tube or overground for some for the journey?

myfallingstar Mon 12-Jan-15 18:15:07

Add message | Report | Message poster GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 18:11:27
If you're in London some buses will be running but very limited
But that's what I mean you have to expect some lateness it would normally take dd 45 minutes on the bus to get to school he will leave early but if he's late they would be understanding surly

SoupDragon Mon 12-Jan-15 18:16:20

Why should lateness be expected?
Leave earlier.

ilovesooty Mon 12-Jan-15 18:19:21

Lateness would be expected if the strike hadn't been well publicised in advance.

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 18:19:44

I doubt they'll be very sympathetic though. It's understandabke yes but schools see lateness as lateness. Is there no one local who could give a lift just for tomorrow?

FastWindow Mon 12-Jan-15 18:23:09

I get your point about the tone. But flip it... Are you expecting all the teachers to be there on time to look after the kids that make it on time, or is it OK if they are also all late, leaving the kids all to themselves? Presumably they also get buses?
Is just one day. Good experience imo for the unreasonable demands of the real world of work smile

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Mon 12-Jan-15 18:23:20

what exactly are they going to do if he is late? on one day?

set off with plenty of time, try to get there on time, if not hey ho - it is one day marked late, they don't expel you for it.

Cantbelievethisishappening Mon 12-Jan-15 18:26:48

What are you annoyed about? The 'tone' of the text or the fact you need to organise transport for your children for one day, with notice? hmm

Floggingmolly Mon 12-Jan-15 18:28:47

Why are you so insistent that lateness should be expected? You've had ample warning (just like the rest of us in London); make alternative arrangements instead of just assuming it's fine for your child to wander in whenever.

mummymummypony Mon 12-Jan-15 18:29:20

OP I agree with you about a little lateness being understandable but it depends on the schools approach to the strikes as to whether or not they will accept that. But I do see the schools side on this because even just one child wandering in late to classes can be very disruptive for a class while a teacher is trying to teach. It affects a lot of the schools daily activities if they have more than the usual amount of children turning up late and can even put them behind a whole day in learning targets. They are sending out these texts to make sure parents are on their toes about this in order to not hinder the children's daily routine and keep them on schedule with their school work. If they didn't send these messages out they would probably find a lot of children turning up late and disrupting classes or not turning up at all and blaming the strikes. I'm sure if a few parents really do have a tough time getting their kids in and on time then they will take it as exceptional circumstances.

Quangle Mon 12-Jan-15 18:37:04

Their text was arsey and there are plenty of arsey responses on here. Of course you'll endeavour to be on time but a bus strike makes it harder. No need for the school to pre-emptively put everyone in the wrong. Btw I had no idea about a bus strike tomorrow so I don't know about "plenty of notice". Sometimes life is a bit tricky and we could all cut each other a bit of slack.

We are lucky as we live next to school but for the mums battling wind and rain and buggies on a two mile walk I would personally be offering them a hearty congrats for making it at all. Why must we all be so competitively perfect/martyred?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: