Talk

Advanced search

To be freaked out by DD?

(21 Posts)
CrohnicallyCold Mon 12-Jan-15 15:20:35

Several times today she's made a reference to someone else being in the house with us.

1) she was sat playing then suddenly lifted her head up and asked 'who's that? Someone at the door' I checked the front door and there was no one to be seen.

2) she pointed at the door to the living room (which was ajar) and asked 'who's that there? Come in'

3) I was in the kitchen and she came running in and shouted 'daddy's home! Yay!' I said he wasn't but she insisted 'yes, daddy at door, look!' Our front door has a large glass panel and I could see there was no one there. And if there had been, they couldn't have arrived or left without passing the kitchen window, so I would have seen them.

There's just the 2 of us here since DH left for work this morning, and we've been alone all day. All the doors and windows are shut and locked, and have been all day. But she's starting to freak me out, she was so insistent that daddy was there and pointing into empty air.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 12-Jan-15 15:22:22

you think she's seeing ghosts right?

they don't exist

so YABU!

26Point2Miles Mon 12-Jan-15 15:23:58

Why is she freaking you out? She's just using her imagination

Unless someone is lurking waiting to break in.

I guess you want posters to come along and say she's 'got a gift' or some other nonsense?

Hurr1cane Mon 12-Jan-15 15:25:31

I'd not think it was a ghost. I'd be well freaked out that someone was sneaking around. And even if I don't believe in ghosts it would still creep me out. You always get these people who say "haha they don't exist you're stupid"

Well we know that. But sometimes people still get scared. They probably do as well

LadyLuck10 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:25:53

This thread seems to be on repeat. There are a few with the same story.

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Mon 12-Jan-15 15:26:00

Sounds like she's playing to me. I wouldn't be scared smile

CrohnicallyCold Mon 12-Jan-15 15:34:03

Sorry ladyluck I will tell DD to pick her moments more carefully in future!

No, I don't think she is seeing ghosts, or has a gift or anything like that. DH (her daddy) is, as far as I know, alive and well and at work. I am more concerned that someone might be sneaking around. It's highly unlikely they could be in the house without me knowing. But what if she did see/hear a person at the door, and I didn't see them go past the kitchen window, that could mean they left via a different route (like over the fence at the back, some way a legitimate caller wouldn't have done), or that they haven't left and are skulking around somewhere still.

I'm not unlocking the door to find out, that can wait till DH is home!

Littlef00t Mon 12-Jan-15 15:36:20

Has she seen any films or read any stories lately that could be fuelling her imagination?

wishmiplass Mon 12-Jan-15 15:38:32

Well personally I'd be shitting myself and giving the local bobbies a quick ring to ask them to send a PCSO round pronto.

paperlace Mon 12-Jan-15 15:43:58

Ooh my chin's a wee bit itchy...

Sootgremlin Mon 12-Jan-15 15:44:31

My ds does this all the time, I think they develop a notion that if they say something they might make it true, I get lots of 'Nanny's at the door!' if they are expected, and he is always announcing daddy's arrival a few hours early.

Linked to what others have been saying ds decided he had an imaginary friend recently, and that his name was 'Ghostie'. So there's been a lot of "Ghostie's under my bed" "Ghostie's cross with you Mummy, he wanted a biscuit" etc. As long as Ghostie doesn't start telling anyone to go into the light then I'm perfectly unruffled, but did think it was a funny choice smile

CrohnicallyCold Mon 12-Jan-15 15:45:04

little I forgot to say, she's only 2. So while she does imagine things, they're very simple reruns of things she's done/seen and it's unusual for her to play along this well or this long.

DH is due home pretty soon, so I'll get him to check outside.

Minisoksmakehardwork Mon 12-Jan-15 15:46:42

Perhaps she's being optimistic that Daddy's home? Dd2 over the last two weeks has been constantly telling me 'daddy home' when quite clearly he is not. Ds2 tells me quite seriously that there is a 'monster there' (points). I figure dd2 is optimistic as she's turned into a right Daddy's girl over the Christmas break. And ds2 is just being imaginative. We have talked about what the monster is wearing and what colour it is. It's great for his conversation skills.

I'm pretty meh about the whole ghost thing. I don't believe, but I don't disbelieve either. Some say children have a natural ability to see what we block out.

All I'd suggest is keep an eye on it and maybe think if she's been watching any particular programmes which she might be acting out.

Seriouslyffs Mon 12-Jan-15 15:46:52

It's just the wind, surely.

CrohnicallyCold Mon 12-Jan-15 15:48:37

soot that kind of makes sense, we're out of routine today as she's poorly (not so poorly that she's hallucinating though, I hope!), usually we're not on our own all day like this, so it might be wishful thinking/some sense of 'it must be time for daddy to come home by now!'.

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 15:48:53

My dd ran into the bedroom saying "look daddy's asleep!". Absolutely shitting myself I went to have a look to see a lump in my bed - it was just my pj's grin. I wouldn't worry

Sootgremlin Mon 12-Jan-15 15:53:10

People would really call the police based on this? confused

I considered myself an anxious person but I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at any of that.

Sootgremlin Mon 12-Jan-15 16:04:42

Sounds likely then, if she's having a different sort of day it may be messing with her concept of time a bit too. if she is only 2 she might be just at the start of messing with your head.

That's funny glitz

This afternoon ds told me he thought the gas man was hiding upstairs - ds was out earlier and had missed him reading the meter so was disappointed and obviously wanted him to still be around. I only hope he won't be repeating it to his daddy when he gets in grin blush

BellsUpMyNose Mon 12-Jan-15 16:34:44

you know when to worry when you cant find her and she shouts " im in the telly carolanne" grin

GoEasyPudding Mon 12-Jan-15 16:52:55

ghostyslovesheep May I investigate a little...you are on these threads so quickly it's almost as if it's your professional duty...

Come on now, admit it... you are a "man in black" aren't you? Well, the Ghost department of the Men in Black anyway.

TattyDevine Mon 12-Jan-15 19:43:26

The clue's in the name pudding! wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: