Talk

Advanced search

To think if you put photos of your children on social media

(10 Posts)
benfoldsfive Mon 12-Jan-15 12:26:38

and have no privacy settings, if they are stolen you are responsible?

There is a Russian website that has taken lots of pictures, from Facebook of children in my city (all over the news ect). The comment on the site beneath them are degrading and sexualise children. Facebook is covered in "I'm going to sue facebook", it's not Facebook fault is it? It's yours.

The website has been reported and the police are on it but it will take time to be removed. Meantime the whole city is visiting the website taking screen shots "do you recognise this child??" with the degrading comments beneath.

AIBU to say it's the parents fault and they should accept responsibly? and that other parents posting the screenshots of unknown children are just as bad?

Hobby2014 Mon 12-Jan-15 12:30:27

I'd say it's not parents or facebook's fault - it's the websites fault.
The person responsible for a crime is the person doing it.

42bunnytails Mon 12-Jan-15 12:32:01

Do the photos have names attached, if not the Criminals could get them from a million different sources, not just face book.

Children are just small people, who do things and visit places, they are going to end up in photos and, in this day and age, those pictures end up on the web.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 12-Jan-15 12:37:25

You're blaming the parents, they are blaming FB. You are all blaming the wrong people.

And I am VERY careful what child related stuff I put on FB.

benfoldsfive Mon 12-Jan-15 12:40:01

Of the four 'friends' I know, it appears they have been taken from Facebook yes. It appears to be the common link.

So as parents they have no responsibility to protect the images of their children and can complain furiously and threaten action when that is taken advantage of?

Cookiecake Mon 12-Jan-15 12:46:30

I think that obviously parents should be more careful when posting pictures of children on social media. I personally wouldn't do it but how can it be their fault that someone else has taken these pictures and put the, on another site. The person responsible is the person who has put these pictures on another site. That being said I've no idea why you'd put pictures that you weren't happy being publicly available on facebook.

Marphe Mon 12-Jan-15 12:55:06

It's the "fault" of the criminal, just as it's the fault of the burglar if you get burgled, but you still lock the door to do what you can to prevent it.

I really don't understand why some people share so much on FB.

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 12-Jan-15 12:59:05

What city? Who is commenting? Do they know the families because they are all in the same city?
Sorry not quite understanding why Russians are stealing photos of children, is it a sex thing or identity theft or pure devilment?

Royalsighness Mon 12-Jan-15 12:59:38

It's the website creators fault, not the parents or Facebook. You could set your profile to private and still have them stolen by a "friend".

benfoldsfive Mon 12-Jan-15 13:05:13

All the photos on the site are linked to the same city. I'm sure there are others, having looked on Google something simlar happened in another city, via the same website, this summer.

Just general everyday pictures of children, with sexually motivated comments beneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now