Advanced search

to be profoundly self-satisfied to have made toffee popcorn

(23 Posts)
Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 10:50:56

It is nearly as good as Butterkist.

I feel I am experiencing an unreasonable level of glee - given that I have a full and busy parenting life.

It somehow seems so Mom-ish and frivolous at the same time!

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 11:11:36

I bet you guys are doing proper worthwhile things, like cleaning your kitchen or learning Mandarin.

Not sitting on the sofa smugly snaffling only-slightly-grainy toffee popcorn.

Seff Mon 12-Jan-15 11:19:42

YABU because I see no recipe!

Superworm Mon 12-Jan-15 11:20:42

Ooh how did you do it? Loving home made popcorn at the moment but can only do sweet/salty

weeder Mon 12-Jan-15 11:21:37

Recipe pleas?!

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 11:26:45

OK - the sauce was 200ml condensed milk, 100g each of white and brown sugar and 80g of butter, slowly melted together then bubbled a bit more vigorously for a minute to caramelise. Stirred through popcorn and baked at 170 degrees to dry out for 15 mins - then cool and gobble. (Oooh - and I added a pinch of seasalt. Salted caramel - natch!).

BUt I have rather a lot of toffee popcorn left - because while it was heating and cooling I also made a batch of butter& seasalt popcorn for the DC - which was demolished - and they were even appreciative. Normally my DC are only appreciative if I give them £2 for the chip shop grin .

weeder Mon 12-Jan-15 11:29:59

cake Ta!

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 11:32:29

Honestly - Butterkist do do very good popcorn.

But I am walking 10 feet tall that I am now mistress of my own movie night snacks grin .

pbwer Mon 12-Jan-15 11:34:46

do you have to pop the popcorn first then or does it pop in the oven?

Seff Mon 12-Jan-15 11:44:37

Ok, you're less unreasonable now grin

Hmmm I actually have a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard...

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 11:44:41

Yeah - you pop the corn first - and don't do what I did and dump the sauce on top of popped and unpopped kernels indiscriminately - because the sauce makes the popcorn clump - and then you keep getting hard little kernels almost taking your teeth out!

I used a fancy tutorial to making 'perfect' corn (heat up empty pan, dump corn, take off heat, put back on heat) - but I can't be bothered to write it out because it seemed to offer me no protection from either burning or having unpopped ones.

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 11:46:29

I am normally very pragmatic and hard nosed about messing up the kitchen for twee little cooking projects - but I justified this as part of my January Cure clear out kitchen cupboards! Most recipes call for Golden Syrup - but I didn't want to introduce new half-used tins to my stores.

Seff Mon 12-Jan-15 11:53:56

I've tried lots of ways of making 'perfect' popcorn, they're all bollocks. I like to use my massive stock pot when making popcorn grin

I quite like the partly popped kernels, but the sad unpopped ones hide amongst the fluffy ones in an attempt to break your teeth.

Quintanimo Mon 12-Jan-15 12:45:03

Mmm - yes - and toffee sauce just gives them extra grip!

But I'm still proud.

HoVis2001 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:05:25

DH and I are making this right now. grin

HoVis2001 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:05:55

And YANBU to be proud!

TheCunnyFunt Mon 12-Jan-15 20:21:08

I think you are going to be my least favourite poster from now on :D my teeth will be ruined after I make this over and over again sometimes. Ruined I tell you!

Peepants78 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:27:01

Oooo it sounds delicious. Will be grabbing the ingredients tomorrow.
As for perfect popcorn, we use a whirleypop
We got ours online about 5 years ago, having watched a YouTube video with one in. It's used weekly and its still in a good condition. (Oddly satisfying to crank the handle too!)

Quintanimo Tue 13-Jan-15 07:49:39

Ooh - I want one! Do they really work?

Peepants78 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:43:43

It really does! Ours came from one of the american sweet websites for about £30. We tend to use icing sugar, sea salt, or a grinder thingy with vanilla sugar in for quick toppings but it is lovely plain.
All you need is a small bit of ground nut oil and a cup of popcorn kernels.
Its also great for non expensive and quick pta sale contributions - I make small bags of it, tied with ribbons, for school plays etc (that detail may actually out me!)

Peepants78 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:49:29

or any oil! I like groundnut...

FelixFelix Tue 13-Jan-15 11:54:06

I have one of those popcorn pans! Look in TK Maxx if you want one as ours was £15. I see them in there all the time and we got ours about 2 years ago.

CatsClaus Tue 13-Jan-15 12:04:09

I have a much easier just need nerves of steel and a good heavy pan.

First pop your corn

then melt enough quite a lot of butter to cover the bottom of whichever pan you used for the popping
when it is all melted add enough also quite a lot of demerara sugar to also cover the bottom of the pan

heat until it looks like a pan of have to watch it and keep it moving...just before it is ready it will go all oily and gritty and separated, hold your nerve and keep heating and stirring and suddenly you have caramel

Hurl in all the popcorn and mix like a demon.

Add some cinnamon with the sugar right at the start if you like cinnamon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now