Talk

Advanced search

to think that Obama has kept strangely quiet about Paris incidents.

(11 Posts)
brererabbit Mon 12-Jan-15 07:58:28

I mean don't get me wrong I have a toddler and haven't seen a huge amount of news coverage and could be missing something but so many political leaders seemed to get involved in the unity march and it occurred to me how quiet the Americans have kept over it all. I mean all the fuss over the Sony film but nothing for terrorists and hostage situations. I thought they could have offered some more support.

Skatingfastonthinice Mon 12-Jan-15 08:03:10

How much support did Cameron give Obama over N Korea and Sony?
Obama has given verbal recognition and support, like many other non-European world leaders. What else would you like him to have done?

brererabbit Mon 12-Jan-15 08:06:31

I'm not sure really, I just kind of assumed that given the threat to the west he would have took maybe a stricter stance on it. I'm not sure it just seems strange to me.

RunnerHasbeen Mon 12-Jan-15 08:19:12

We have just got used to having a prime minister who thinks the news is there for him to make soundbites, whether it has anything to do with him or not. Obama isn't standing for re election, so doesn't have to do that. He is letting France take the lead and has offered condolences, what do you expect?

DandyHighwayman Mon 12-Jan-15 08:22:43

What runner said.

Pensionerpeep Mon 12-Jan-15 08:22:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pensionerpeep Mon 12-Jan-15 08:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TiedUpWithString Mon 12-Jan-15 09:51:54

Obama visited the French Embassy in Washington to pay his respects and this was filmed and on the news. He was quiet while there because he was being respectful. Nothing strange about that I wouldn't think.

BakewellSlice Mon 12-Jan-15 09:57:08

I've heard him comment. He pointed out that France was the US's oldest ally.

PuffinsAreFictitious Mon 12-Jan-15 10:08:25

What I find more strange is the almost deafening silence over the many people murdered by Boko Haram in the last week.

Obama has commented, despite the small Iraq falling out, France and the U.S. Have been staunch allies for over 200 years.

JeSuisCharliePan Mon 12-Jan-15 10:28:12

US and France have a very close historic relationship, established on opposing Britain. We burned the White House, they gave them the Statue of Liberty sort of thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now