Talk

Advanced search

to ask how you find out "more" about other posters on here?

(15 Posts)
Mammanat222 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:47:49

Sorry posting here for traffic, as well as opinions.

I see lots of people saying "name changed" and I think I know how to do that but how do people actually check back on posters history and stuff like that (I see some people commenting 'interesting first post' and I wonder how they know it's a first post).

No particular reason, just interested. I find MN rather hard to navigate in comparison to every other forum I am a member of.

Could someone look me up and find out how long I've been a member/ see my posting history? Not that I mind ??

whothehellknows Sun 11-Jan-15 17:50:12

Any member can advance search a person's username, which will show that individual's posting history. Also, some posters write in a very distinctive style that makes them recognizable even under different names.

brokenhearted55a Sun 11-Jan-15 17:52:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 11-Jan-15 17:53:58

The first post stuff is easy.

Anything you read where you think someone is trolling, making shit up or just general having a good old masturbate prompts you to put their name in the search, see they've not posted before and, because Mumsnet don't call troll as its against the guidelines you just say :

" interesting first post"

Which basically means 'are you having a wank' or 'what a load of bollocky shit fuck you're talking'

Mintyy Sun 11-Jan-15 17:55:57

You can use the advanced search function to look at any post, made by any poster, in any topic (other than Chat and 30 days only which are deleted after 90 and 30 days respectively) right back to the very start of Mumsnet in 2000/2001.

ThereIsACarInTheKitchen Sun 11-Jan-15 17:56:26

Also, some posters write in a very distinctive style that makes them recognizable even under different names.

<paranoid>

Optimist1 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:56:59

Yes, you can see a person's posting history. The "interesting first post" comment quite often signifies that the writer (of the comment) suspects that the poster is a troll. The "name changed" thing is meant to reassure us that the poster isn't a troll/a newbie.

I don't think I've personally ever said anything interesting or controversial enough for anyone to want to check my posting history though ... mostly laundry-related, me!!

Gunpowder Sun 11-Jan-15 18:00:47

optimist I like the laundry threads.

<relinquishes last bit of coolness>

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 11-Jan-15 18:13:22

There was one particular arse of a poster [imo anyway] who composed some right goady fucker threads, she was a twat, she was given dogs abuse [quite rightly] then seemed to bugger off.

I was reading a thread some months later and I knew she was back under another name but by the way she posted, I knew it was the same person.

Utter twat!

Optimist1 Sun 11-Jan-15 18:25:30

My last bit of coolness disappeared the day I texted a friend who lives in another part of the country to tell her it was a lovely drying day, Gunpowder!!

Gunpowder Sun 11-Jan-15 18:54:30

grin

Some posters drop in the same key phrases, so you know it's them despite the name changes.

FailOfTheCentury Sun 11-Jan-15 19:01:04

Oh gods Classy are you talking about me? grin

Actually you probably are.

BallsforEarrings Sun 11-Jan-15 20:45:09

I was a bit puzzled when I first joined about the level of secrecy as on other forums we all seem to reveal all and get to know each other and not really worry about being 'outed' BUT THEN I read some of the posts and realised why we should stay anonymous here! grin

It is refreshing to just be able to say anything and everything you think tbh!! It's addictive!

missingmumxox Mon 12-Jan-15 00:23:26

I have never name changed in all the years I have been here, I think you could if arsed, work out the town where I live, then the school my children go to, their year group.
I tend to be spasmodic in my posts, doing loads then nothing for ages.
I don't name change for one reason, I I am distinctive in my style of writing .
I see it myself, I write like I speak so my posts are about 4 times longer than any others in a thread, to the point that a couple of times I have written a short post and someone has said is that you or someone else? I am not MN royalty so it does make you realise that you have a style.

On another note I did nearly change a couple of years ago after I got hounded through all the boards by someone, who is absolutely brilliant at advice but she took offence at me disagreeing with her when she was talking about my area of expertise and then had to try and belittled my knowledge.
I don't go on that board any more too much hassle, as I say she it excellent with her advice but not in all areas.
And interestingly she gave up after a few weeks of me not reacting, I did at first, but I have seen her do it to others since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now