Talk

Advanced search

Not dirty but not clean - where do they go?

(89 Posts)
JustStirItUna Sun 11-Jan-15 17:12:16

Mumsnetters - does anyone here have clothes that they don't wash every time they wear them? (jeans, dresses, jumpers)

If so, do they go back in the wardrobe or do you have a designated place for them?

DH has a chair in the bedroom and literally everything he wears seems to end up there. I get annoyed because it makes the place look untidy but he insists they're not ready to be washed (jeans and jumpers, not dresses!) and have a few more wears left in them. AIBU to think they should go back in the wardrobe??

(or even worse, are we scutters because we don't wash every single item after every single wear?)

Yarp Sun 11-Jan-15 17:15:18

i put mine back in the wardrobe, mostly, as should he. Only problem in my house is that moths love worn clothes.

HighwayDragon Sun 11-Jan-15 17:15:25

The floor.

cardibach Sun 11-Jan-15 17:15:40

You will get loads of mad posters telling you that you should wash everything after every wear, and that actually you should change your clothes a minimum of 5 times a day to be really clean. However, those of us in the real world have many clothes which are worn more than once. If it's clean enough to wear again, it's clean enough to go back in the cupboard. If it has germy things on it or smells, then it needs washing. Simple.

Methe Sun 11-Jan-15 17:16:27

On either the chairdrobe or the floordrobe.

ticktactoegivemeago Sun 11-Jan-15 17:18:43

DH uses his floordrobe. I put mine back in the wardrobe.

chanie44 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:18:47

I only rewear jeans or trousers. I hang them back in my wardrobe, unless I know I will be wearing them the next day, I which case they go on the radiator - not particularly nice looking, but it's only over night.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sun 11-Jan-15 17:19:17

No way they should go in the wardrobe, then you wouldn't know they weren't clean. The floor is the correct place

JammyDodger1 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:20:08

Dh has a system, which I have just found out, one end of his wardrobe is for just ironed clean clothes, and the other for worn once of twice and cleanish 20 years I've been married to him and only just found this out shock so he knows what he has worn and not worn.

Euphemia Sun 11-Jan-15 17:20:17

Back in their usual place in the wardrobe. Surely there has to be a better way of dealing with moths?

CallMeExhausted Sun 11-Jan-15 17:22:20

DH piles his on a chair, mine go back into the wardrobe.

His pile drives me mad, but it doesn't extend beyond the chair. If it did, I may be forced to have a bonfire in the back yard grin

simbacatlivesgain Sun 11-Jan-15 17:22:49

I have a separate hanging rail at the end of my wardrobe.

Hatespiders Sun 11-Jan-15 17:24:02

This 'not clean' business is daft. They're not contaminated just because they've been worn once, or even twice. I put my things neatly back in the wardrobe or folded tidily in the drawer. I know exactly when they actually require washing. They'd be worn to shreds if they were washed every time. And lying about on the floor or a chair is just depressingly untidy and makes the place look like a tip.
One golden rule in our house is Put Things Away. Luckily my dh is as tidy as me. And as our bungalow is miniscule, we just have to be orderly or we wouldn't get in the door.

youbethemummylion Sun 11-Jan-15 17:25:00

The floor, the chair, the radiator, on top of the filing cabinet, bathroom floor...

skylark2 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:26:55

Chairdrobe, floordrobe, or the not-in-a-wardrobe hanging rail if it's something which lives on a hanger.

Only back in the wardrobe if it's something which I almost never wear (e.g. posh blazer).

Floggingmolly Sun 11-Jan-15 17:32:00

Back of the chair. I hate them going back in the wardrobe; which doesn't make a lot of sense when I'm happy to wear them...

ginslinger Sun 11-Jan-15 17:33:18

Do people wash jumpers after only one wear?

ChocolateOranges Sun 11-Jan-15 17:33:29

On the chair. Apart from when we've visited FIL and we have to put them straight in the wash as they reek of fag smoke.

Euphemia Sun 11-Jan-15 17:35:05

Bonkers. You're all bonkers. grin

Primaryteach87 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:39:56

Because I'm sure im not the only one (and am therefore doing a public service)....I wear some clothes multiple times before washing. Jeans or anything that has only touched other clothes especially. There, you clean types can have a right field day! I'm also totally unapologetic about it grin

Silvercatowner Sun 11-Jan-15 17:40:15

If you put them back in the wardrobe, how on earth do you tell the difference between the clean and the worn clothes? I wear everything except underwear and tee shirts etc for more than a day but my clothes are roughly divided into smart work, casual work and casual home. So potentially 3 sets of clothes on the 'worn for a day, not ready to be washed' chair. I'd lose track of what was worn if they went back in the wardrobe.

Mammanat222 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:41:25

Back of the door (we have hanging space there).

Saki5000 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:41:38

I put them on the back of the chair and wear them again as soon as possible. I wouldn't put them back in the wardrobe as then they would get mixed up with the clean clothes and it increases the chances of moths.

arlagirl Sun 11-Jan-15 17:43:20

I am One Who Washes Everything.
Not cardigans or jumpers, but everything else after one wash.
Jeans/trousers are creased by the end of the day.

arlagirl Sun 11-Jan-15 17:43:37

One wear not one wash

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now